Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion

Did anyone esle hope that during the spoken word part of Horizon Gavin would have thrown in there "I can't pick it up...auditory hullucinations"? haha
    DeviantArt Facebook

Comment

i think it's safe to say i'm quite fond of this album. after 3 listens it's i keep finding myself impressed with some different aspect each time.

Comment

Downloaded this morning, burned to CD this afternoon, and will listen to it tonight after work. Cigar, whiskey, and on the deck.

Comment

Well, this record is growing on me a lot. I still can't get into Quotes; the choruses of Information and Saviour are painfully bland, and Gathering Pebbles is just sort of there (though I LOVE Mourning this Morning, probably my favorite track)... but a lot of it is damn good.

Overall, there's a much darker vibe to this record, alongside a more experimental bent than CWA and at the same time more pop... put it all together, and it's very unique. It's my least favorite album they've released so far at this point, but it certainly is an entertaining listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sins Of Arcadia View Post
            The person that uploaded the leak changed the track names on purpose... Unfortunately it appears that he also messed with the tags, which has the last.fm scrobbling for the album fucked up beyond comprehension. I'm sure the auto-correct will fix them once the real thing is out there and being listened to by thousands of people, but it still sets the OCD part of me into a retarded fit.
            Haha yes your OCD is a little unnecessary I think. First people complain about not having the leak, then they complain about the quality, I guess it was inevitable that someone would get mad at the tagging. Luckily it doesn't matter at all.
            Originally posted by Gnomad
            I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
            Originally posted by auto-de-fe
            do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

I think the arrangements in each song is the most impressive part about the album and is really inspiring to me as a musician. The production too is so good and so much better than on CWA. I love the album, the only song that throws me is Mourning this morning, I'm really curious to see what other people here think of that song.

Comment

Great album!!!

But it need time to get into all details.

Dredg are great!

Comment

this album is B-E-A-utiful. love it. every song so far.

Comment

I can't get over how fucked up and kick ass long day's and vague clues is. It makes me feel like I'm in some evil fucking circus or something.

Comment

the circus is actually called Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. lol.

but yeah, I'm really loving how diverse this album is. finally getting to hear things decently is making the album all over again for me. You really can't contextualize this album by just listening to one song. You couldn't tell someone this is what dredg sounds like by just playing one song, because the next your confronted with a totally different type of song. There are only a couple parts where melodies re-appear and the SOO's do have similar vibes. It's just impressive, and not to mention how different the instrumentation is from song to song, yet the whole thing feels very cohesive which is excellent considering the amount of time they took doing things, and the fact that they took breaks and came back and did more.

Comment

Originally posted by Awakenings420 View Post
                        I think the arrangements in each song is the most impressive part about the album and is really inspiring to me as a musician. The production too is so good and so much better than on CWA. I love the album, the only song that throws me is Mourning this morning, I'm really curious to see what other people here think of that song.
                        "Mourning" is one of my favorites on the record, second only to maybe "Gathering Pebbles." I think the strings coupled with the up-beats on the high hat during the second parts of the verse give it a distinctly 70's vibe but I think it's perfect. And the sax and everything that hits on the line "This is all you'll ever get" is so powerful.

And Tucker, you're right. This leak makes the entire recording sound much more organic and warm. I love it.

Super God.
                        do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Originally posted by dredgfan001 View Post
                          the circus is actually called Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. lol.
                          Nailed it. Right when i heard this i was like, wow... sleepytime gorilla museum.

I think the reason why i think this album is so great is because they did exactly what i thought they would do. They kept their pop aspect but experimented with it alot. They're back to their el cielo layout... stamps of origin and such. I think there is only one weak track and that is information... its alot better now that i hear that the middle part is in... but its a song that had potential to be epic and its just not at all... very empty to me. The end is soooo emotional... like accepting death. Like... being terrified of something but so glad to see it. They captured everything they were trying to capture, so im glad.

Also, marks guitar playing in the record on certain songs are so different from what he usually does. His clean sound on this record gives me a RETARDED boner. Gavin's vocals on this record are out of this world... maybe the best he's ever done. Dino kinda took a backseat on this record... but his playing was good... he kinda had to take a backseat because it was a slow record...

This album is more eighties than anything they've done... Some songs sound borderline michael jackson... but they rock em out so it dosent matter to me.

One thing im curious about is how some of these songs will sound live without all the studio sounds they have going on...

Overall i think its their second best effort... el cielo being number one. Leitmotif and this record are so different its hard to compare but i tend to enjoy this album a little more.
                          Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
                            And Tucker, you're right. This leak makes the entire recording sound much more organic and warm. I love it.
                            Totally agree. "organic and warm" are great words to describe it.
                            I love it more then I expected which means A LOT!
                            Still have issues with lyrics, but I knew it will take a while and I actually love the process of discovering them and the whole concept.
                            Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

Originally posted by Sittingsideways View Post
                              Nailed it. Right when i heard this i was like, wow... sleepytime gorilla museum.

I think the reason why i think this album is so great is because they did exactly what i thought they would do. They kept their pop aspect but experimented with it alot. They're back to their el cielo layout... stamps of origin and such. I think there is only one weak track and that is information... its alot better now that i hear that the middle part is in... but its a song that had potential to be epic and its just not at all... very empty to me. The end is soooo emotional... like accepting death. Like... being terrified of something but so glad to see it. They captured everything they were trying to capture, so im glad.

Also, marks guitar playing in the record on certain songs are so different from what he usually does. His clean sound on this record gives me a RETARDED boner. Gavin's vocals on this record are out of this world... maybe the best he's ever done. Dino kinda took a backseat on this record... but his playing was good... he kinda had to take a backseat because it was a slow record...

This album is more eighties than anything they've done... Some songs sound borderline michael jackson... but they rock em out so it dosent matter to me.

One thing im curious about is how some of these songs will sound live without all the studio sounds they have going on...

Overall i think its their second best effort... el cielo being number one. Leitmotif and this record are so different its hard to compare but i tend to enjoy this album a little more.
                              I completely disagree about Dino, especially because Mark credited Dino's rhythms as one of the greatest influences on this record. One thing that stands out to me is the fact that they really let Dino play his natural style on this album: in previous records, he wrote a beat and had a few fills but mostly stuck to the basic composition. But live he always improvises and adds flourishes. On this cd, he is unrestrained and changes things up constantly. In fact, as I'm sitting here thinking about it, Dino plays around the beat more than ever before.

Super God.

Comment

I've only been able to listen briefly to the first rip but I am very impressed. Theya re all over the place on this one. Some nice experimentation with some things they haven't done before.

I'm definitely hearing the influences,too. Zeppelin, Floyd, Peter Gabriel, etc.

I love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X