Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion

Mourning this Morning sounds like Michael Jackson with that little guitar lick that plays throughout.

On a side note: Would it be greedy of us to ask for a leak of the liner notes/artwork within the booklet? lol
    DeviantArt Facebook

Comment

Ooop, ooop, just had an eargasm...

I don't even know how to classify this album, other than as a masterpiece. There are very few times that a leak of an album will just increase the amount of interest and impatience in waiting for the legit release...

This is one of those cases. June 9th can't get here soon enough. I'm not even done. "Cartoon Showroom" is playing right now. I've listened in chunks. I listened from "Pariah" through "Lightswitch" on the way to work, "Gathering Pebbles" through "Mourning this Morning" on the way home, and am finishing off the album now.

Its modern day Floyd, but its very much dredg.

Just phenomenal. I can see why the band is saying they want to go back into the studio so fast, that they're all inspired with what they created here and feel that they may be hitting their peak.

Incredible.
      A one track mind in a one way town
      Let's go ahead and gentrify
      We let art die with robot minds
      Steal the brush and paint boundary lines

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Morph View Post
        Just phenomenal. I can see why the band is saying they want to go back into the studio so fast, that they're all inspired with what they created here and feel that they may be hitting their peak.
        That sounds so great and exciting! I was hoping somebody will say something like that. I see how much dredg really like that album and how strong they feel about it and I believe them. Glad you shared that! Now I can wait patiently.
        Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

Oh, and I can't wait to actually get into the heart of the lyrics. Very much an instrumental album, in the terms that it's a sonic masterpiece, but Gavin's lyrics in the songs that weren't leaked prior to this are pretty remarkable on first listen.

Can't wait to dissect them.

Also, I recommend listening on high quality headphones. You hear everything, and it makes up for the lack of punch that this leak has. You can hear the elements that are missing out of the rip, and it makes you that much more confident in the quality that will be on the CD itself.
          A one track mind in a one way town
          Let's go ahead and gentrify
          We let art die with robot minds
          Steal the brush and paint boundary lines

Comment

Well, I am waiting for the album, so if you, guys, start discussing the lyrics, I'll have to leave and come back later as I want to get my own version of the story before reading somebody else's. I am very intrigued by the pieces of the story that we know so far, I love the lyrics I've heard and I can't wait to dig into the whole of it!
            I am sure they are not lame at all (like it was stated here before), right

Comment

i'm going to be a bit rambly here. bear with me.

from start to finish, this is an incredible album. it is easily among the bands best works, and it's up there with el cielo, if not slightly ahead of it.you can tell that they worked on this until it was perfect, just like they kept saying they would do. several songs are flat out masterpieces (Pariah, Information, Cartoon Showroom, Quotes), and even the ones that i initially didn't care for (Gathering Pebbles and Mourning This Morning) are now two of my favorite songs. this is the type of music that sticks with you forever once you hear it. it's like a perfect combination of the experimental awesomeness of Leitmotif and El Cielo and the catchy, matured song crafting found on Catch Without Arms.

The only complaint, and its damn minor, is that the last act of the album feels a tad anti climatic. Maybe it's just me. I love Quotes, and it's a solid song, but it's not as strong of a closer as The Canyon Behind Her or even Matroshka/The Ornament.

But all in all this is as close to perfect as it gets. Granted, I'm a fanboy and would be thrilled with 30 minutes of Dino farting on a snare drum, but if you have ears and a soul, you have to admit that this is incredibly special and amazing, and we are all very fortunate to be enjoying it in our lifetimes.
              http://turntable.fm/traversing

BYOB

Comment

I personally think that the way Quotes slowly fades into Cellar which slowly fades into Horizon (c wut i did thr?) makes the end of the record incredibly epic, if not 'climactic'. It's like a kind of somber end to a massive journey.

Then again, I'm also a raging fanboy.
                http://rateyourmusic.com/~SinsOfArcadia

Comment

PS: I can't wait to hear more of this album live.
                  http://turntable.fm/traversing

BYOB

Comment

Does anyone else think Mourning This Morning sounds like Minus The Bear? Namely the vocals sounding similar to the song When We Escape's verses.

Comment

I gave up. CD rip left me no excuses
                      I am blown away right from the start.
                      ---
                      I am speechless! This is a masterpiece!
                      WOW! Touches so deep right from the first listening. They are the only ones that are capable to do so. Usually it takes a couple of times at least.
                      I don't know what to say.
                      And the ending is beyond words... The way the album flows is amazing. The ending with all the lines containing the essence of it all... I will need more time with lyrics, to get the whole story. But so far everything I hear is very, very good.

Comment

This doesn't top El Cielo, but it comes damn close.

Comment

It's VERY different from El Cielo, I wouldn't compare.
                          The ending reminds me of "I remember now", the end of Operation: Mindcrime of Queesryche - probably the best conceptual album ever. Great way to get to the conclusion. I couldn't get the whole idea from the first time, just pieces here and there. But I know I will love those lyrics.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of the way it ends at the moment. It's too casual. I would have preferred one last epic song or even just letting Down to the Cellar would have been better from where I'm standing at the moment. This may change, but it's the only thing that keeps me from saying this is the best album they've ever made.

Comment

Well, I am listening for the second time and keeping more attention on the lyrics this time. I guess once we get the whole story it will make much more sense. I love the way it emphasize the whole album. And I love the slower dynamic - Quotes, Down to the celler, horizon. It is definitely saying something.

Very early feeling - it goes in two perspectives - the terrorist/religious person and his subconceous or somebody else (the autor) who is telling the story giving his own view over the situation.
                              ---
                              OK, I have a question to all of you native English speakers. Is gathering pebbles a specific symbol of something? As lyrics implies something more than the obvious meaning. I am off to ask google.

Comment

I feel like this will probably end up being my favorite album by them. El Cielo is special, but this album is extremely complete and moving for that reason to me. Conceptually I think it's much more tangible than El Cielo, and for some that may be a bad thing, but I think dredg has reached a perfect place somewhere between ambiguity and relativity. The album to me is the tale of a life. of every or any person on this planet, or even the band as a whole too. It's really just about growth and change and facing circumstances you come face to face with. Pariah, to me is about a dark, introspective childhood. Drunk Slide is like a summer breeze, having stolen a bottle of booze you and your buddies get drunk for the first time as child. Ireland is reflecting on having lived a sedentary life so far. I love that the conversational lyric writing from CWA was carried over a bit. Pessimistic then hits and is almost like a direct answer to Ireland. Yes, it may be a sad way of putting things but I've known it. It's fact. Basically a growing point. Light Switch to me is about a first love, that is earthly and tangible. I forgot to include my religous parallel up to this point. But I feel like religion is a massive underlying theme in this album. I'll stop there, but those are just the formations of the story I see forming. Granted, Billy, the album definitely could have ended with Down To The Cellar, but Horizon is just to beautiful to leave out. It's a last breath out. Full of knowledge and wisdom, but told simply and eloquently. Basically album goes from life to death, and whlie thats a huge topic to cover, somehow dredg have managed to cover a whole lot of ground. I'm sure this will all change over time as we are exposed to the full album artwork. But as of now I'm just loving everything about this record.

Comment

Working...
                                X