Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Traversing.nets Top 50 Albums of the Decade Voting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Traversing.nets Top 50 Albums of the Decade Voting Thread

Originally posted by Sins Of Arcadia View Post
    Vicarious
    Jambi
    Wings for Marie
    10,000 Days (Wings Part II)
    Intension
    Right in Two

These are all among the best songs Tool have ever written, with the title track pretty much being their pinnacle as a band. Rosetta Stoned is fucking horrible, agreed, and there is a lot of useless 'filler', but those songs listed all total close to 50 minutes of the best music Tool have ever put out. The album isn't a 'joke', nor is it 'horrid'. I'm not really comparing it to Lateralus as I was accused of, although the comparison obviously wouldn't be out of the question considering the similarities between the two musically.

10,000 Days got a lot of backlash from a bunch of musically inept and underdeveloped fanboys, but it has really held up well for me and quite a few people I have spoken with.
    100% agree with everything Sins said...

...Wings for Marie\10,000 Days (Wings Part II) is easily their greatest work to date. Seriously almost makes me teary-eyed every time...

You're the only one who can hold your head up high,
    Shake your fist at the gates saying,
    "I have come home now!

Fetch me the spirit, the son and the father,
    Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.

It's time now!
    My time now!
    Give me my
    Give me my wings!"
    Originally posted by Ars Sycro
    I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Comment

Originally posted by One Second Clubber View Post
      100% agree with everything Sins said...

...Wings for Marie\10,000 Days (Wings Part II) is easily their greatest work to date. Seriously almost makes me teary-eyed every time...

Seriously, though....14th best album of the last 10 years? Really? It's Tool's 4th best/worst album.
      ---
      Originally posted by auto-de-fe
      the only reason why that song is giving acclaim is the fact that it is so emotional. outside of this one fact the song is mostly mundane and uneventful.
      Lyrically emotional....just a clarification. Musically, that song is really flat and boring. Very little dynamic to it.
      I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
      I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
      A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
      To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

dude, what the hell is going on with all the bitching? Theres probably around 8-10 albums on this list that in my opinion do not belong, because they just arent my bag. Im not gonna sit here and shit on the decision... yes the reason why the album is on the list is because there are alot of tool fans on this forum that regard it as a good album, because thats what it is... a good album... not great, but good. It may be a little high, yes... but get over it, jesus. You sound like a bunch of 2nd graders that found shit in their chocolate pudding.

And by the way, rosetta stoned in my opinion is one of the BETTER songs on the album. Its the perfect tool song, build you up to a ridiculous platue and then say fuck you for listening to the past 9 minutes, im not gonna give you what you want. Its tool in a nutshell.

Bottom line is if you arent a HUGE tool fan, you probably don't like this album.

Don't get me started because i can talk shit all day about between the buried and me.

Just because the band isnt my style dosent mean they aren't talented and released an album worth recording.

Buncha babies.

For example, Deftones' Saturday Night Wrist number 19? seriously? That dosent even warrent gig space on my hard drive.
        Last edited by Sittingsideways; June 30, 2010, 12:05 AM.
        Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

It's kind of hilarious when people try to make such definitive statements about how 'emotional' a song is or isn't. You find it musically 'boring' and 'flat' with 'little dynamic' (the latter complaint being flat out wrong, mind you), while I find it incredibly moving and unforgettable. It is one of the most musically and lyrically devastating songs I have ever heard, and it kind of came out of nowhere. No one really expected that from Tool, and yet there it is, naked and beautiful. I will always point to that song when critics complain about this band being too sterile and void. Please do not pretend that because you are not moved by a certain work that thousands of other people are in agreeance.

Also, 10,000 Days is one of the last albums I'd complain about with regard to this "Best of the Decade" list. I don't mean this to be offensive, because I respect the taste and opinions of most of you, but this list borders on ridiculous and there are countless albums that could be pointed out. There is obviously a huge leaning toward the newer wave of progressive and alternative rock with very little branching out in any direction. Of course there are a few exceptions, but for the most part, the list is kind of predictable and underwhelming. I am excited to see the top 10, though.

And again, I'd like to thank the hard work that has indeed gone into creating this list and topic. It's good to actually have something to talk about here in between dredg albums...
          http://rateyourmusic.com/~SinsOfArcadia

Comment

I definitely see what you're saying, Sins, and I hope you don't take offense to this... but your taste is REALLY fucking out there. You and Soundscape both had the most differentiating lists of any members on this board and I honestly think it's because you guys both value something in music that doesn't even register on most others scales of appreciation. This doesn't make your taste worse or better... just really fucking different.
            ---
            And we should all bare in mind that this list is a collective based on common answers not taking placement into account. I could have done it that way, where I took into account the placement an album recieved on anyones list, but fuck, this thing would never have gotten finished. It's still not, technically.

But if we're going to get into it, I might as well let it go. I am superbly offended that any Sigur Ros made it on this list, let alone 3 fucking albums. That band is horrible and, with all due respect to anyone that loves them, I generally think if you like Sigur Ros, you're a twat.

It will be done tomorrow. Sorry, but this obviously takes a back seat to anything I have going on in my life.

Comment

No offense taken at all. People have been saying that to me for a few years years, now. I just started looking for different things, getting bored with others, and constantly having to go through a cycle of discovering artists that stimulate me. It's actually kind of frustrating at times, personally.

Comment

For what it's worth, I love the hell out of 10,000 Days. Rosetta Stoned included. Wings 1/2 are anything but bland for me. I like the more mellow aspects of it in relation to other Tool songs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
                  I definitely see what you're saying, Sins, and I hope you don't take offense to this... but your taste is REALLY fucking out there. You and Soundscape both had the most differentiating lists of any members on this board and I honestly think it's because you guys both value something in music that doesn't even register on most others scales of appreciation. This doesn't make your taste worse or better... just really fucking different.
                  ---
                  And we should all bare in mind that this list is a collective based on common answers not taking placement into account. I could have done it that way, where I took into account the placement an album recieved on anyones list, but fuck, this thing would never have gotten finished. It's still not, technically.

But if we're going to get into it, I might as well let it go. I am superbly offended that any Sigur Ros made it on this list, let alone 3 fucking albums. That band is horrible and, with all due respect to anyone that loves them, I generally think if you like Sigur Ros, you're a twat.

It will be done tomorrow. Sorry, but this obviously takes a back seat to anything I have going on in my life.
                  Well said... maybe the rest of us are just narrow-minded, but personally, I couldn't get into Bon Iver or any of the purely instrumental bands like G!YBE half as much as even the most bland "neo prog" groups if my life depended on it... I need at least minimal energy and aggressiveness in my music. I think you're right in saying anyone who is head over heels for those groups must consider a whole different dimension in their musical tastes beyond what some of us are even capable of seeing. Or something like that.

Back to 10KD, though... the main riff in Vicarious is so blatantly ripped from Schism that they had to have realized it before they even started writing the song (I still remember the sinking feeling in my stomach when it first leaked). And that sort of illustrates my problem with the work as a whole: there's practically no evolution from their previous stuff. It sounds like a mismash of AEnima and Lateralus B-sides, save for Wings, which is great but does outlast its welcome eventually. I mean, I fully admit I wouldn't think much of the "treading old ground" aspect if it was your average group, but after the quantum leaps between their first three LP's it's hard to let slide. Cheesy as it sounds, I really do think they completely lost inspiration and creativity and were just going through the motions.

Just to make sure I'm clear, I'm not arguing with anyone in particular, since I own and occasionally listen to the damn thing. And I don't even think it's out of place on a top 50 list for the past decade, honestly. More than anything it just falls remarkably short of its predecessors.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
                    You and Soundscape both had the most differentiating lists of any members on this board and I honestly think it's because you guys both value something in music that doesn't even register on most others scales of appreciation.
                    You have clearly undervalued my list.
                    Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                    Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

You know, I didn't immediately think of yours probably because I tend to look at your taste as a little too mainstream for me. Which I have a hard time justifying, even to myself, but that's just the way I feel.

Comment

you are making a big leap here. i never said that it was not moving. rather, i am saying the lyrics are moving, but the music is flat, repetitive, and it seems like the band just ran out of creativity.

on the one hand, you dislike the radio-esque character of this list. but then you go and defend tool's placement on the list. this album is just like all those other that you are railing against. there really is no difference, except tool is not radio friendly only due to length. length does not make a piece of art.
                        You keep referring to 10KDays as 'flat' and 'repetitive' when it is anything but. Please stop assuming the band 'ran out of ideas', lol.

I also never said I disliked the radio-esque character of this list, whatever that's even supposed to mean... I assume you meant accessible, easily listenable music. I listen to plenty of that, shamelessly. In fact, I do like a large percentage of the list. I just think it's a terribly narrow-minded representation of the decade as a whole.

I'm not sure what you are even getting at with the "Tool are not radio-friendly due to length" thing. Tool are played on countless radio stations across the world. Schism, Vicarious, Jambi; all of these songs are played in their entirety. I'd say what makes Tool special in the first place is their ability to keep the attention of both average and devoted listeners alike while creating music that is (still to this day) unlike anything else. There has never been another Lateralus or Aenima and never will be, and yet those albums still remain incredibly accessible.

Comment

Originally posted by Corroded Halo View Post
                          Back to 10KD, though... the main riff in Vicarious is so blatantly ripped from Schism that they had to have realized it before they even started writing the song

Comment

Since we're all complaining, what the fuck are Radiohead and Muse doing on that list. gtfo.

Comment

My taste in music is more obscure than yours! Wank!

Seriously, every list of top albums compiled in this way will, by the very nature, skew toward the mainstream. The issue with 10,000 days is probably very similar. It made its way to the top of the list by the shear number of people who selected it in the top 50. Now, how many of those would actually consider it in their top 15? I'd be willing to bet the number isn't that high

I actually think Catch Without Arms is another example of that. To me, that album just doesn't live up to its ranking on the list, but we're all dredg fans and most included it in the top 50. As much as I love dredg, though, I just don't think that album is that good.

If you look at my list, it skews toward several artists. As far as the prog/alternative issue, my list includes quite a few that are far from that classification, but they didn't show up on any other lists. The fact that Begin to Hope by Regina Spektor wasn't included might offend me, but I realize that it's just not popular enough for most people to have heard it.

Comment

when is the last time you heard 10,000 days play on the radio before 11 pm? i have talked to several DJs who have all expressed to me that tool is not exactly a radio friendly band, but with their success of lateralus, they have been played more and more.

what i am suggesting to you is that you critique of the list being narrow minded and then you defend this album of all the albums on the list. it is just as narrow as all the other albums on the list. it you are really going to call other people's list narrow minded, then your defense of this albums shows that you are no better in your taste.
                                Dude, Tool have had regular radio play since the early-mid 90s. Sober, Prison Sex, Forty-Six and Two, Stinkfist, Eulogy. All of which were well before Lateralus. They're also played in their entirety and always have been. I hear Sober and Forty-Six all the damn time, well before the evening hours.

I 'defended' 10,000 Days because it was the one that was brought into question. If you had brought up Antennas to Heaven or something, I would have responded the same way. This has nothing to do with me or anyone else being narrow-minded, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X