Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Traversing.nets Top 50 Albums of the Decade Voting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Traversing.nets Top 50 Albums of the Decade Voting Thread

dredg's second best album is better than tools first (arguable, its between lateralus and aenima)?

i mean, i agree it is different strokes for different folks. But as far as cohesiveness and "amazing all the way through" Lateralus takes the cake hands down.

Now if we're talkin El Cielo then we have an argument and im pretty positive El Cielo takes the cake.

By the way mew is terrible.
    Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Not even close.

1. Lateralus
      2. TPTPTD

Comment

Hard as fuck, but..

1) Lateralus
        2) The Pariah
        http://rateyourmusic.com/~SinsOfArcadia

Comment

dredg >>>>> Tool
          Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
          Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

i understand that one could like dredg more than tool or the other way around, but i think its pretty ridiculous to make the argument that the pariah the parrot the delusion is a more cohesive record than lateralus.

now as far as liking a record more? then yes... be my guest.

Comment

Cohesive? I don't know and I don't care but TPTPTD has no bad tracks while Lateralus does. Although it has some of the best songs in the world.

Comment

It's an interesting juxtaposition, for sure. There isn't a single moment of filler on "TPTPTD" - it's all music and instrumentals. On "Lateralus," I find myself skipping tracks like "Mantra" - because, really, who cares? - and songs like "Ticks and Leeches" (which always struck me as a little sub-par, and I think the fact they've rarely played it confirms it) and "Triad." On the flip side, though, the tracks that stand out - "The Grudge," "The Patient," "Parabol(a)," and more, are some of the best material they've ever put out.

With "TPTPTD," I feel like dredg goes into some uncharted territory and returns to what separated them from a lot of bands out there today. But compared to "Lateralus," it feels like there is a little bit more...predictability? I don't know. I don't want to speak negatively about the album because I love it, but I feel it doesn't achieve what "Lateralus" achieves.
                Originally posted by Gnomad
                I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

The best way to sum it up for me is that Lateralus is one of those special albums that creates its own entrancing atmosphere, much like Kid A, El Cielo, or DSotM. TPTPTD doesn't really do that at all, IMO, despite having quite a few strong tracks.

Comment

Lateralus is an album that kind of came out of nowhere and pretty much without any recognizable influence. What I mean is that before the album and even to this day, there has never been anything like it, and probably never will be. Every time I hear it I think to myself how fresh it sounds, and how it could have come out yesterday or 5 years from now. It is a timeless record. tPtPtD is incredible, no doubt, but I don't hold it with the same esteem as Lateralus.
                    http://rateyourmusic.com/~SinsOfArcadia

Comment

I completely disagree on Ticks and Leeches. Don't think it's sub-par at all. I adore that song. I read somewhere that performing it destroys Maynard's voice... hence the lack of it being played much live. And I believe it too.. listen to what he does to his voice on the song!

I also really enjoy Triad. I even listen to Eon Blue and Mantra. They aren't like the long waster tracks on 10k.. The only real flaw is the odd Faaip de Oiad.. it's just weird. But it doesn't completely piss me off like Viginiti Tres does!

Comment

I really like where this whole thing went. This whole thing has been WAY more fun than I thought it was going to be.

Comment

triad is an amazing song... ammmmazing.

i think alot of tptptd's vocaludes are skippable honestly.

Comment

I love/hate faaip de oaid...
                            The times where I listen to Lateralus and completely zone out.. It always end up scaring the shit out of me

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
                            I really like where this whole thing went. This whole thing has been WAY more fun than I thought it was going to be.
                            This is pretty much the only forum I know of where a thread like this can breed such mature discussion

Comment

Originally posted by Knifeboy View Post
                              This is pretty much the only forum I know of where a thread like this can breed such mature discussion
                              Asshole!
                              I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                              I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                              A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                              To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
                                Asshole!
                                Fuck you cuntface!
                                You're such a fucking pussy, I hope you projectile vomit yourself to death!

Comment

Working...
                                X