Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Traversing.nets Top 50 Albums of the Decade Voting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Traversing.nets Top 50 Albums of the Decade Voting Thread

Originally posted by Sins Of Arcadia View Post
    I don't mean this to be offensive, because I respect the taste and opinions of most of you, but this list borders on ridiculous and there are countless albums that could be pointed out. There is obviously a huge leaning toward the newer wave of progressive and alternative rock with very little branching out in any direction.
    Exhibit A
    ---
    This has nothing to do with me or anyone else being narrow-minded, lol.
    Exhibit B.
    ---
    Just out of curiousity, Sins, do you truly consider the album one of the 15 best in the last decade?
    ---
    I already posted a top 100+ here, but I'll type the top 50 out in case you don't feel like having to click the link to do the tally. I did one album per band because I'm a douchebag like that.

----------

50. Lacuna Coil | Unleashed Memories (2001)
    49. Onesidezero | Is This Room Getting Smaller? (2001)
    48. M83 | Saturdays = Youth (2008)
    47. Finger Eleven | The Greyest of Blue Skies (2000)
    46. Amon Amarth | With Oden on Our Side (2006)
    45. Sunlight Ascending | All the Memories, All At Once (2009)
    44. Matthew Rober Cooper | Miniatures (2008)
    43. Klimt 1918 | Just in Case We'll Never Meet Again (2008)
    42. Caspian | Tertia (2009)
    41. Mono | Walking Cloud and Deep red Sky, Flag Fluttered and the Sun Shined (2004)
    40. Embodyment | The Narrow Scope of Things (2000)
    39. Wolves in the Throne Room | Two Hunters (2007)
    38. As Hope Dies | Legions Bow to a Faceless God (2003)
    37. Skycamefalling | 10.21 (2000)
    36. Flowing Tears | Jade (2000)
    35. Hopesfall | No Wings to Speak Of (2001)
    34. Gregor Samsa | 55:12 (2006)
    33. Blindside | Silence (2002)
    32. Tegan and Sara | So Jealous (2004)
    31. Orchid | Dance Tonight! Revolution Tomorrow! (2000)
    30. While Heaven Wept | Vast Ocean's Lachrymose (2009)
    29. Rachel's | System/Layers (2003)
    28. Clint Mansell | The Fountain (2006)
    27. Yndi Halda | Enjoy Eternal Bliss (2006)
    26. The Zephyrs | When the Sky Comes Down It Comes Down on Your Head (2001)
    25. Charlotte Martin | On Your Shore (2004)
    24. Porcupine Tree | In Absentia (2002)
    23. Anna Ternheim | Somebody Outside (2004)
    22. 7 Angels 7 Plagues | Jhazmyne's Lullaby (2001)
    21. Summoning | Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame (2001)
    20. Agalloch | The Mantle (2002)
    19. Misery Signals | Of Malice and the Magnum Heart (2004)
    18. Between the Buried and Me | Colors (2007)
    17. Disillusion | Back to Times of Splendor (2004)
    16. Opeth | Blackwater Park (2001)
    15. 36 Crazyfists | A Snow Capped Romance (2004)
    14. Shun | Michael In Reign (2001)
    13. Logh | North (2007)
    12. Jakob | Cale.Drew (2003)
    11. Sigur Ros | Takk (2005)
    10. Bon Iver | For Emma, Forever Ago (2007)
    09. Tool | Lateralus (2001)
    08. This Will Destroy You | This Will Destroy You (2008)
    07. Moving Mountains | Pneuma (2007)
    06. Envy | All the Footprints You've Ever Left and the Fear Expecting Ahead (2001)
    05. Explosions in the Sky | All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone (2007)
    04. Eluvium | Copia (2007)
    03. Godspeed You! Black Emperor | Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven! (2000)
    02. The Gathering | Souvenirs (2003)
    01. dredg | El Cielo (2002)
    Nevermind, homey. I'm not trying to say that the album is terrible, I just don't think it is as good as the list indicates, and you clearly agree on that point.
    I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
    I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
    A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
    To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

this thread is nerdtastic.
      Originally posted by vsd
      ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Yeah, I was totally happy about Clint Mansell making the list. That soundtrack is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
          You know, I didn't immediately think of yours probably because I tend to look at your taste as a little too mainstream for me. Which I have a hard time justifying, even to myself, but that's just the way I feel.
          Yeah, it's weird. I don't really listen to many mainstream bands, but almost every band I listen to could be mainstream with the right chance/connections.
          ---
          I was happy to see Tegan and Sara. I love them... but if I had to pick one, I'd have a hard time deciding between This Business Of Art and The Con.
          ---
          And apparently I decided on The Con when I put this list together.
          Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
          Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

many of the groups you talk about Josh, I notice are popular on some other forums (absolutepunk and decoymusic) and in magazines like Alternative Press. Maybe it's coincidence?
            allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Well, most bands are popular somewhere.

But yes, I am a former reader/subscriber of AltPress, and until Jason Tate turned into a total tool, I regularly read Absolutepunk.
              Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
              Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                the difference is that stinkfist, forty-six and two, and the rest are well within normal radio limits of song length--i.e., they are just over or under the 5 minute mark. tool departed--mostly--from these lengths with lateralus. part of the issue that surrounded this was the fact that the songs were so much longer. being a close associate with a DJ in tulsa, oklahoma, he told me that lateralus did not enjoy lots of air-time due to the length of the songs. however, he stated that most radio stations capitulated to the pressure of playing the songs as popularity increased. the case is, of course, different for indy radio stations that do not have a pay-per-play contract with the RIAA. but for those radio stations that do have such contracts--any clear channel station--it does not behoove them--financially speaking--to play such long songs when they could make twice the money in that same airtime. for instance, once could play two and a half blink 182 songs in that same time as it takes to finish a tool lateralus song. so, lol for you not understanding how contemporary radio stations work.
                Oh dear...

1) Please do not call into question my understanding of 'contemporary radio stations' immediately after you refer to five-minute songs being a 'normal radio limit', lol. It's generally three to four minutes, tops, for most bands. Bands like Tool and Metallica continue to be exceptions to the rule.

2) Tool songs well over four minutes that get regular, unedited radio play: Stinkfist, Eulogy, Forty Six & Two, Ænema, Sober, Prison Sex, Schism, Parabola, Vicarious. I hear all of these on my local clear-channel station quite a lot when I do listen - which isn't much; especially Schism and Sober.

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make, actually. You originally said Tool aren't radio-friendly due to length, and I have pointed out that such a claim is nonsense. You also said that the length of a song or piece of work doesn't make it art, which I agree with. So again, I must ask wtf your point is.. lol.
                http://rateyourmusic.com/~SinsOfArcadia

Comment

I can't imagine Tool getting airplay ever, over here.

Comment

oh dear,

you clearly are rather ignorant on most of these matters. enjoy life that way. it is much easier.
                    Solid rebuttal.
                    http://rateyourmusic.com/~SinsOfArcadia

Comment

Solid rebuttal.
                      That's what your mom said.

Comment

auto, there is some truth to what you're saying, but you're not in the radio industry, your friend is. I could tell you all about the gaming industry, but the problem is I'm biased. I could be truthful, but I might omit some information or tell you things in a skewed manner that "proves" my point Your source of information being a person and not personal experience isn't exactly ideal.

For instance, what you said really doesn't apply to any radio station in California. Tool and Metallica are played constantly and in entirety. For a year, the rock stations around here and Southern California would play Lateralus once a day, and they would have hours dedicated to Metallica. Furthermore, I've heard Mars Volta and Opeth in entirety around here. And these are definitely not independent stations.

Does this prove you wrong? Absolutely not. And I know you said "most" stations, but I don't think that's even the case. It's a reason why longer songs might not be played, but it's not a rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
                          I've heard Opeth in entirety around here.
                          Fuck, I wish I could just hear one Opeth song on the radio here. I'd even settle for something off of Damnation.

Comment

It hella caught me off guard when I heard it.

Comment

the only songs that are played in its entirety in california is sober and stinkfist... maybe fourty six and two. all the other songs are cut... specially anything off of lateralus.
                              ---
                              wow... team sleep number 8? cmon guys.
                              Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

oh dear,

you clearly are rather ignorant on most of these matters. enjoy life that way. it is much easier.
                                Somehow I think he'd be okay with being "ignorant" of the way radio stations are run. Because surely you aren't silly enough to suggest he's ignorant on anything that wasn't discussed here.

Comment

Working...
                                X