Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Water & Bodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water & Bodies

So I finally listened to this.

This isn't even close to being on par with Kaddisfly. Haha. I'm sorry. That's like saying A Perfect Circle is on par with Tool. I liked a couple songs on here but the rest don't even make me want to come back for even a second or third listen. It depresses me. Kaddisfly are one of my favorite bands of all time. Set Sail The Prairie is in my like top 5 albums ever. I know what these musicians are capable of. Sure, this isn't Kaddisfly, hence the name Water & Bodies, but why make a dumbed down, uninteresting, uninspiring version of yourself?

I'd rant more but I have to go to work.
    BLOG
    DEPTHS
    RABBIT HOLE

Comment

Err... why reference this back to Kaddisfly? Stop this oxymoronic bullshit. It's not Kaddisfly. So get over it.

Otherwise, I listened to this twice last night. Once whilst I slogged away at my work - Animals and Celebration Song really stood out. Then I had a bath... the album is lavished with hooks, but they're just not quite there... I really really really loved Written and Read. Incredible.

One thing I didn't like about this EP is the way it just ends. Like... I was expecting 6 more tracks. It really looped me in and then spat me out. Fuckers. Write more songs NOW!
      (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

well it's an ep..like a teaser or album sampler in some ways, except who knows if any of these will be on the full-length.

I'm still addicted to this thing, btw
        allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Yeah, I'm hooked. But, it's just me, I always yern for more once I get hooked. Sort of like a crack addict I guess...
          Last edited by cribble; May 20, 2009, 03:42 PM.
          (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Originally posted by cribble View Post
            Err... why reference this back to Kaddisfly? Stop this oxymoronic bullshit. It's not Kaddisfly. So get over it.

Otherwise, I listened to this twice last night. Once whilst I slogged away at my work - Animals and Celebration Song really stood out. Then I had a bath... the album is lavished with hooks, but they're just not quite there... I really really really loved Written and Read. Incredible.

One thing I didn't like about this EP is the way it just ends. Like... I was expecting 6 more tracks. It really looped me in and then spat me out. Fuckers. Write more songs NOW!
            why would we not reference kaddisfly? it's the same guys minus one.

Comment

Originally posted by cribble View Post
              I'm sorry! I just . . . I'm new to this and others had said that this group has other Kaddisfly members?

Damn, Cribble. Sorry.

I enjoyed the album.

Shit.

Comment

lol, Trathena, not your fault. lots of folks miss Kaddisfly, as do I, but lots of people are finding just as many redeeming qualities with Water & Bodies as they ever did with Kaddisfly. The members were tired of getting lumped in with bands like Circa Survive and Coheed and Cambria just because Chris has a higher voice and their music had some post-hardcore tendencies. Kaddisfly is not coming back anytime soon, so don't get your hopes up. And when and if they do I can assure you it will be nothing like Set Sail and a lot more like Water & Bodies. Hell, Celebration Song was actually going to be the last song on Horses Galloping, but got restructured for the EP.

Don't worry Cribble, writing is already well underway for a full-length. There are approximately 7-8 tracks finished and the band writes more every week when they can get together to practice. They are currently label hunting as they want something a bit bigger than Rain City to back their first full length. The point of the EP was to demonstrate to folks some of the more refined talents that comes from playing music together for many a year. They recorded the EP all live in one room. I believe there is one guitar overdub, one slight drum-edit (correcting one snare hit) and no auto-tune was used on the vocals. These are not common practices, for the most part, in modern popular music. That is why to some this EP may seem thin or un-inspired, lacking the creative segues and flow that Kaddisfly had. I know everyone is more than entitled to your opinion, I'm just saying keep an open ear on the band. They are growing and evolving all the time. And once they get out of the syntax they have created for W&B's in their head, I think a lot of us will start to be a lot more satisfied.

Also, I don't wanna get people hopes up in case this falls through, but there is hopefully going to be a remix contest for Free World. The winner of the contest will have their remix as a bonus track on the vinyl release. They release stems, similar to what radiohead did with a few songs, and then anyone with at least garage band should be able to mess around.
                Last edited by dredgfan001; May 20, 2009, 05:03 PM.

Comment

They should ask dredg if they can sign onto Ohlone. Heh. Kidding, of course.

Hope the guys find a label soon, cause I can't wait to hear more from Water & Bodies. Still vibing on Written and Read. Great song.
                  Last edited by Gnomad; May 20, 2009, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dredgfan001 View Post
                    lol, Trathena, not your fault. lots of folks miss Kaddisfly, as do I, but lots of people are finding just as many redeeming qualities with Water & Bodies as they ever did with Kaddisfly. The members were tired of getting lumped in with bands like Circa Survive and Coheed and Cambria just because Chris has a higher voice and their music had some post-hardcore tendencies. Kaddisfly is not coming back anytime soon, so don't get your hopes up. .
                    I don't think that's a good enough reason to stop making music under the name Kaddisfly and make....this. LOL. Seriously. I'm not trying to be a dick here. It would make more sense to think Water & Bodies are good if this was pre-Kaddisfly music. (Instead we got the rap-rock, WHOOO!) I mean even if I'd never have heard Kaddisfly or know who Chris Ruff or any of these other guys were I still wouldn't think this is...special! I remember sitting at a band practice one day and my band and I were all talking about how awesome Kaddisfly is and how great they are live and this and that and I remember saying..."Guys...I have a weird feeling that soon they're ganna break up or something." and they were like HAHAHA YEAH RIGHT, Fuck that, we're seeeing them in NY in a few weeks, ganna be awesome!

They did see them and from that show, with all the people there, they never figured this band would ever split, but I still had a bad feeling and my friends and I were devastated. It's funny cause none of them like Water & Bodies either at all, and we constantly joke about our bassist Joel moving to portland to persuade the band to get back together and Joel would play bass (he'd be able to. he's ridiculously talented at bass.) Joel's like YEAH I EVEN MET THEM AT A SHOW IN WILKES BARRE, PA! hahaha.

Oh well. Great things never last forever.
                    BLOG
                    DEPTHS
                    RABBIT HOLE

Comment

• Re: Water & Bodies

i regret that i never got to see kaddisfly. tucker, remember when i tried to book a show for them? haha. that's how bad i wanted to see them. but it never worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by oO dredgolfo Oo View Post
                        I don't think that's a good enough reason to stop making music under the name Kaddisfly and make....this.
                        If a member leaves and they don't feel like it's the same band without him, that's a good reason. You don't know how they write music or how involved with everything certain members of the band are. He might have played a MUCH larger role than you thought.

Comment

it's definitely a grower.. i din't like their new direction much at first, but now i'm on my fourth listen and i love it..

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
                            If a member leaves and they don't feel like it's the same band without him, that's a good reason. You don't know how they write music or how involved with everything certain members of the band are. He might have played a MUCH larger role than you thought.
                            you exactly right. it's almost a...respect thing. so with that and them wanting to go a different direction, that only makes sense.
                            Facebookem, Danno | Twitter me this...

Comment

That's the same thing The Apex Theory did iirc. Unfortunately, the music didn't quite come out as good, but I totally follow their many reasons for calling the band something else.
                              allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Trathena View Post
                                Am I to understand that danfury is in this band? I'm very new to this music. I don't know Kaddisfly much at all (I've got a CD of theirs, but have only listened once).

Nonetheless, I bought this EP yesterday and have really enjoyed it. The last two songs, especially. Thank you for the recommendation everyone!

And danfury, if you're in this band, well done!
                                hahaha thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X