Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

What Have You Been Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Have You Been Reading?

just received "zeroville" by steve erickson, pretty excited to start that one, otherwise, just been thumbing through short story anthos & whatnot lately . . .
    Originally posted by kata rokkar
    Supterfuckingultrawesomecoreasaurus

Comment

I'm not much of a reader so I'm not known for any type of literary taste. I'm currently finishing the Book of Ti'Ana in the Myst Reader. I like fantasy and comedy books the most. So I would suggest The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A Salvatore to anyone who can get past the stigma of how nerdy it is. I also love the Earthseas series by LeGuin.
      Originally posted by Gnomad
      Semen and anger... definitely dredg fans.
      Originally posted by noclevername
      stretch marks are a big ol cosmic thumbs up.

Comment

Nothing! it's pretty great thus far... we'll see how the ending turns out>>>>>>

Comment

I've heard of that one. Who's the author again?

Starving Artist added 42 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

I guess the author doesn't matter. It would just be making much ado about nothing.

*drum roll*

Comment

Originally posted by Starving Artist View Post
            I'm not much of a reader so I'm not known for any type of literary taste. I'm currently finishing the Book of Ti'Ana in the Myst Reader. I like fantasy and comedy books the most. So I would suggest The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A Salvatore to anyone who can get past the stigma of how nerdy it is. I also love the Earthseas series by LeGuin.
            Starving, if you're reading LeGuin, in my opinion, you are reading literary fiction. Have you ever read Left Hand of Darkness? It's wonderful.

----------------
            Listening to: Doves - Satellites

Comment

No, I'm not one for the sci-fi side of fiction so Earthsea is really the only series of books she's written that I've read, and I haven't even finished those yet. On the note of other forms of reading, Poetry books are normally good to have around. I have one called A Lute of Jade that I need to try and finish again. It's a book of really old Chinese poems, and all of it is amazingly beautiful.

Comment

The Left Hand of Darkness was pretty cool as far as themes go, though I can't stand most science fiction either.
                I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Originally posted by Starving Artist View Post
                  No, I'm not one for the sci-fi side of fiction so Earthsea is really the only series of books she's written that I've read, and I haven't even finished those yet.
                  So you like fantasy? Do you like Stephen King? His The Talisman (with Peter Straub) is wonderful fantasy fiction. It's one of my favorite books by him.

Also? The Dark Tower series.

Trathena added 1 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
                  ...though I can't stand most science fiction either.
                  I thought that until I looked at my bookshelves and realized how much SF was on there that I'd read and liked.

Comment

I might have to check out this Left Hand of Darkness then. Never read the other two you suggested but I'll have to look into them. Oh and even though I'm Christian I found the Golden Compass to be a good read.

Comment

on my to read list:

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
                      The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser
                      The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
                      The Light Ages by Ian R. Macleod
                      allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

this month ive read:

No Logo! by Naomi Klein (hyped but interesting nontheless)
                        Click by Kristopher Young ( pretty short and interesting read, for fans of palahniuk)
                        Les Jeux Sont Faits by JP Satre (funny, weird and of course somehow philosophic)
                        norway.today. by Igor Bauersima (German play - 2 teenagers meeting in the internet and getting to know each other by planning on committin suicide together)

ok and for my studies: some parts of this "interesting" thingy: http://www.amazon.de/Zahnärztliche-P...5712645&sr=8-2
                        Last edited by throbbingnumbskull; July 10, 2008, 07:00 PM.

Comment

I've just finished Then We Came To The End by Joshua Ferris. Now starting The Long, Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul by Douglas Adams.
                          Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                          Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

^can't claim to know that particular book by Douglas Adams..is it close to the same quality as the HITCHIKER'S GUIDE stuff?
                            allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein was good
                              sigpic
                              We'll fuck standing and we'll fuck then lying, if they had wings we'll fuck them flying, when they are dead and long forgotten we'll dig them up and fuck them rotten.
                              Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                              happy birthday, you bastard of bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundscapeMN View Post
                                ^can't claim to know that particular book by Douglas Adams..is it close to the same quality as the HITCHIKER'S GUIDE stuff?
                                It's the second of his Dirk Gently detective novels. Same quality writing, but not nearly as sci-fi. I do find them a bit harder to get into than Hitchhikers, but once I've made it through the first 20 or so pages, I get addicted.
                                Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                                Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Working...
                                X