Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

What Have You Been Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Have You Been Reading?

Just finished Palahniuk's "Rant" and "Snuff" (both are great if you love Palahniuk, "Rant" definitely is superior). Also finished Ron Paul's "The Revolution" which I recommend to anyone who gives a shit about government.

Right now I'm reading "Farm Sanctuary" by Gene Baur. Fantastic so far!
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
    Originally posted by auto-de-fe
    do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

[QUOTE=redmosqui;112149]

next: world without end - by ken follett (followup to pillars of the earth)

i am 600+ pages into this one. very good, but maybe too similar to pillars of the earth... but it has been so long since i've read pillars that i don't care if they are similar.

just finished "moon is a harsh mistress" by robert heinlein ... wonderful science fiction book about the moon declaring independence from earth.

i'm getting ready to start "on the road" by jack kerouac, "one hundred years of solitude" by gabriel garcia marquez, and "boomsday" by christopher buckley.

how about favorite authors? i'd love to hear which authors everyone enjoys.

my favorites - tom robbins, henry david thoreau, bill bryson... is anyone on shelfari? feel free to add me - www.shelfari.com/emmasmine
      www.facebook.com/bowinero

Comment

Heinlein is awesome, stranger in a strange land is one of my favorite books.

Favorite Authors:
        All of them. I guess if I have to choose: All Kurt Vonnegut (RIP), Thomas Pynchon (only sometimes), Orson Scott Card (Ender series only), Carl Sagan, Chuck Palahniuk, Stephen Baxter, Authur C. Clarke, Ian Buruma, David Farland, Karl Edward Wagner, Matt Taibbi, David McCullough, Aldous Huxley, Franz Kafka, James Joyce, Salman Rushdie, Christopher Hitchens, Sara Douglass, George R. R. Martin, Tom Wolfe, Robert Jordan (RIP), Terry Goodkind, Immanuel Kant, Guy Debord, Ayaan Hersi Ali, Piers Anthony, George Orwell, Kevin J. Anderson, Richard Bach, Herman Hesse, Toni Morrison, Howard Zinn, Robert Heinlin, P.J. O'Rourke, Andrew Sullivan, David McCullough, Frank Herbert, Jimmy Carter, John Kennedy Toole, Noam Chomsky, Jean Kilbourne, Upton Sinclair (his works are still relavant), Jerry Mander, Fareed Zakaria, Neil Gaiman, John Barth. There are many more authors I enjoy as well these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
        sigpic
        We'll fuck standing and we'll fuck then lying, if they had wings we'll fuck them flying, when they are dead and long forgotten we'll dig them up and fuck them rotten.
        happy birthday, you bastard of bastards.

Comment

does anyone do ebooks? I got a sony reader as a gift, and love it by the way, and wondered if anyone was into ebooks here...
          - Jon

----------------------------------------
          Originally posted by gderd
          dredg is the music I always searched for, the music that keeps in your mind the whole time, the music you remember when you're doing everything, it's the different music. the heart music

Comment

John Dies at the End
            Narcissus and Goldmund
            Coin-Locker Babies
            American Psycho

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyGoodness View Post
              Heinlein is awesome, stranger in a strange land is one of my favorite books.

Favorite Authors:
              All of them. I guess if I have to choose: All Kurt Vonnegut (RIP), Thomas Pynchon (only sometimes), Orson Scott Card (Ender series only), Carl Sagan, Chuck Palahniuk, Stephen Baxter, Authur C. Clarke, Ian Buruma, David Farland, Karl Edward Wagner, Matt Taibbi, David McCullough, Aldous Huxley, Franz Kafka, James Joyce, Salman Rushdie, Christopher Hitchens, Sara Douglass, George R. R. Martin, Tom Wolfe, Robert Jordan (RIP), Terry Goodkind, Immanuel Kant, Guy Debord, Ayaan Hersi Ali, Piers Anthony, George Orwell, Kevin J. Anderson, Richard Bach, Herman Hesse, Toni Morrison, Howard Zinn, Robert Heinlin, P.J. O'Rourke, Andrew Sullivan, David McCullough, Frank Herbert, Jimmy Carter, John Kennedy Toole, Noam Chomsky, Jean Kilbourne, Upton Sinclair (his works are still relavant), Jerry Mander, Fareed Zakaria, Neil Gaiman, John Barth. There are many more authors I enjoy as well these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
              Did you read "the light of other days" by clarke and baxter? one of my favorite books... thought-provoking on issues of privacy.

i also used to read a lot of piers anthony.... but it has been a long time. p.j. o'rourke is hilarious.
              www.facebook.com/bowinero

Comment

Yeah that book was fantastic, one of my favorites as well. The time's eye series is pretty good as well though I don't know if it will be finished with Clarke dying. Yeah I don't read much anthony anymore but I used to read all of his books so he is still up there, some day I will catch up on the xanth novels.

BuddyGoodness added 1 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

Originally posted by redmosqui View Post
                does anyone do ebooks? I got a sony reader as a gift, and love it by the way, and wondered if anyone was into ebooks here...
                Nope, like the paper versions, love the smell, the helft, and the way they pile up on my shelf after I am done ravaging them for their contained information.
                sigpic
                We'll fuck standing and we'll fuck then lying, if they had wings we'll fuck them flying, when they are dead and long forgotten we'll dig them up and fuck them rotten.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyGoodness View Post
                  ]

Nope, like the paper versions, love the smell, the helft, and the way they pile up on my shelf after I am done ravaging them for their contained information.
                  The shelf thing is true. This guy's basement smells like a library.

And only a library. Nothing else. At all.
                  Originally posted by Gnomad
                  I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                  do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

2010: Odyssey Two
                    Starts off sorta lame but it gets really good by the end of things. It's a must to have red the first one, 2001: A Space Odyssey prior to this (also very good).
                    Facebookem, Danno | Twitter me this...

Comment

My thoughts on eBooks. Great release platform for new authors, but the idea of reading, for me, is to have a break from the screen...
                      (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
                        The shelf thing is true. This guy's basement smells like a library.

And only a library. Nothing else. At all.
                        got rid of the dead baby smell eh?
                        Originally posted by kata rokkar
                        Supterfuckingultrawesomecoreasaurus

Comment

yea, the screen has always been a problem with ebooks, but with the eink screens, while i wasn't sure what it woudl be like, it is honestly, just like reading paper, no eye strain, etc etc etc....but i do know what you mean
                          - Jon

dredg is the music I always searched for, the music that keeps in your mind the whole time, the music you remember when you're doing everything, it's the different music. the heart music

Comment

Originally posted by jsbedlam View Post
                            +10 board points to jsbedlam for making me laugh.

Tally:
                            Trathena: 10
                            jsbedlam: 10
                            http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
                            seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

Originally posted by jsbedlam View Post
                              Yeah, I ate the rest of the ones lying around so the smell subsided.
                              sigpic

Comment

A Thousand Splendid Suns. Just started it, and it's very good so far. I loved this authors first novel, The Kite Runner, and so far, this lives up to it!

Anyone read this? or are reading it now?
                                - Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X