Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Circa Survive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Circa Survive

i believe we are at an impasse Mr. Sycro.

I just don't understand how anyone can think this is in the same class as their first two releases. On letting go wasn't as good as Juturna in my opinion. But even that record had what i said earlier, "Umph". Even the way the album starts... just crashes right into the first track, you hit the ground running. I just don't think theres alot of parts on this album were i have to stop and rewind it and be like "how did that sound again? i need to here it again NOW!!!"
    Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

9 times out of 10, I can't listen to either of their first ones straight through. Some really great songs, but I get tired of it. The new one doesn't have that same feeling.
      Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
      Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Corroded Halo View Post
        I can relate to this too. I don't really dislike BSN, but it's not in the same league as OLG. The most frustrating part is that some of the songwriting is just as strong on this one, but the execution is highly annoying and detracts from everything else - i.e., the kids chanting in Glass Arrows and Dyed in the Wool, and the overproduced feel/loud mastering. Basically, I dislike most of the elements that changed between their past two releases and this one.

I'm pretty sure the OLG sessions will prove to be the peak for these guys. And that's not to rag on the new material, it's just that that batch of songs was so incredible... even the B-sides were eargasmic.

Kids chanting in any song is annoying to me!

Comment

Including dredg songs?

Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

OOOOOO Burn!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamis who? View Post
              Kids chanting in any song is annoying to me!
              That's actually Anthony chanting.
              I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
              I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
              A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
              To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Everyone has their opinions, and it's all valid.

From my perspective, it would have been very easy for Circa to have started this record off with a bang, and their decision to go with "Strange Terrain" and master it the way they did was different and admirable. It's one of the most understated things they've put out.

Also, my understanding is that they weren't happy with the way OLG turned out in a lot of ways. This record is the record they've been wanting to make for some time.

I agree there are some slow spots... I don't care much for "Spirit of the Stairwell" and I think "Dyed in the Wool" could have been done a little better... but overall, this record just feels much more cohesive and thought out.

And again... "Glass Arrows," "Through the Desert," and "The Longest Mile" are amazing.

PS - I think the outtakes from OLG were some of their best material too, FWIW.
                Originally posted by Gnomad
                I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Well I don't think any of it sucks. I just don't hear any highlights. It's a flat line throughout the entire album and none of it sticks with me.

Comment

Did any of their previous stuff stick with you? Only highlight I really have from the first 2 is "Stop The Fucking Car"

Comment

Yes, I loved both Juturna and On Letting Go. Juturna is great all the way through, and if they really weren't happy with On Letting Go and they're happy with Blue Sky Noise, I'm pretty disappointed with them as musicians. To me, that's like saying "We prefer mediocrity."

Comment

Billy, three moments:

- Track three, "Glass Arrows," after the second chorus - the chanting and the music in the bridge afterwards. I think that bridge just sounds sooooo good.

- Track six, "Through the Desert," the bridge after the second verse and the entire middle part. Both awesome.

- Track ten, "The Longest Mile," the chorus is one of my favorite all-time for Circa and I think the bridge in this one is stellar also.
                        Originally posted by Gnomad
                        I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                        Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                        do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

maybe its more so that my like of the band has ceased a little. the first two albums don't have many tracks i skip through. This one i skip three or four songs because i just generally don't like them.

Comment

Strange Terrain is a weak start. Hey, they wanted to do it differently, that's their prerogative. But it's also mine to say that it's a shit start to an album. Also, that weird synthesized flute noise at the beginning of the track causes this reflex in my hand to hit the skip button.

Get Out is decent. Would have fit with On Letting Go.

Generally, I can't stand chanting in music. I like 30 Seconds to Mars, but that made This Is War completely unlistenable to me. Glass Arrows is probably the worst song on the album for me just for that reason. Granted, some songs can get away with it for me, but for the most part, it's an easy way to make me hate a song.

Through the Desert is OK. It's not great, but it's OK.

The rest of it is boring.

Another thing I hate about the album is the way it's mixed. There is no dynamic to it whatsoever.

Maybe time will change my mind. But as it is now, I'm just supremely disappointed. Maybe I just expected too much.

Comment

I agree about the chorus for Longest Mile. Absolutely love it. And that part in Glass Arrows as well.

But I also agree about the chanting. I prefer not to have it. The new 30STM album would have been stellar without all of it, and I think the same goes for these Circa songs with it. It doesn't kill the songs for me, but it detracts from how much I enjoy the rest of it.

Comment

So, I'm actually able to listen to large parts of this album, and that's not anything I can say about any other Circa Survive album. It's kind of growing on me.
                                I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                                I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                                A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                                To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Working...
                                X