Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Circa Survive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circa Survive

I can't believe I'm starting a thread on these guys, but I haven't seen a discussion about them in ages and I just listen to them so much that I have to talk to someone about it.

I know that a lot of people don't like them or consider them dredg ripoffs, but I have always loved basically everything they've put out and I think that their all fantastic guys. I remember seeing them before they got big when they were opening for dredg and the truth is that their demeanor and personalities were all the same they day that I saw them and talked with them on the Warped Tour last August (with Zach, which was when I first learned that he is the man).

Anyway, their music is very relevant in my life - my wife and I listened to it almost exclusively when we were going through very painful things with our family, partly because so much of the record seemed to parallel our lives (the same thing happened with us with "Set Sail the Prairie" and the conception and birth of our son). I don't like the production of "On Letting Go" at all, but the songs are just so fantastic to me and I love the record from beginning to end. "Juturna" is the same way, but I think the mood and texture of the record is much more enriching and uniquely haunting.

What do you all think of them? Any stories/thoughts/opinions?
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
    Originally posted by auto-de-fe
    do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Re: Circa Survive

I like them. I do not think they're anything great, but they make better than average music. But I can't listen to them more than once or twice a week.
    Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
    Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

I like their guitar work.

Comment

as do i.

I think they write music a hell of alot better than alot of bands out there. I have no idea where anyone in their write minds would call them a dredg ripoff. Everyone in the band resembles NO ONE in dredg musically. But their first album is GREAT... second album is not as good. But i saw them at coachella in 2007 and they put on one hell of a show.
        Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

i'd agree with that. i don't see how people can say they are a dredg rip off band....that just doesn't make sense to me. but. whatever.

anyway. i love their first album. listened to it tons. it took me awhile to get into their second album, but I like that one quite a bit for different reasons...they really matured (or calmed down) a lot between the two.

my only real problem with this band is their live show....which I know i've talked about on here multiple times. It's completely a 50/50 hit or miss with me. Sometimes they put on the best show I've seen in awhile....and then the other times, Anthony is apparently on something and I hear maybe 2-4 lyrics per song, because he's just running all over the place and not singing into the mic.

and there you have it.

i'm looking forward to their next album.....which....probably still has some more time before it comes out, i'd imagine?
          Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
          you're pretty narcissistic
          enjoy that, nobody else does.
          Originally posted by Madklikor
          You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

i broke up with my girlfriend (or "baby momma", to quote the vernacular) around the time "On Letting Go..." came out. I worked at Wal Mart overnight. I found the album in the CD section a little bit before my lunch break (2 am or so), bought it, drove around, smoked a j, and fell in love with this band.

Thats my story, Im drunk and sad now, so im going to bed.
            http://turntable.fm/traversing

BYOB

Comment

the vocals kill them for me, but at least they apologized for their fans behaviour publicly after the Ours tour.
              allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

The vocals are the only thing holding me back from really liking them, but they do grow on me with each listen.
                http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
                seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

I do love "Living Together" and "Mandala". Circa Survive isn't a bad band at all. The voice is just a matter of taste.

Comment

This is definitely one of my top listened to bands at the moment. I'm still unsure as to whether i actually like the second album, it has it's moments and i don't skip any tracks... maybe it feels too long.

Dredg rip-off? Who said that? Surely this "sound" has been around in America for years now... oh man, you know who else are dredg rid-offs? The Editors, yeah, them, and Bloc Party, and.. what's their name, Strata!
                    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

I love the vocals! The music is what's stopping me from listening to them

It's not bad, it just doesn't really grab my attention

Comment

Originally posted by SoundscapeMN View Post
                        the vocals kill them for me, but at least they apologized for their fans behaviour publicly after the Ours tour.
                        But you can stand Coheed?
                        Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                        Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
                          But you can stand Coheed?
                          coheed's vocals are WAY worse than anthony green's.

man...i hate coheed....but i won't get into that in this thread
                          Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
                          you're pretty narcissistic
                          enjoy that, nobody else does.
                          Originally posted by Madklikor
                          You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

Originally posted by evasivetear View Post
                            coheed's vocals are WAY worse than anthony green's.

man...i hate coheed....but i won't get into that in this thread
                            Exactly how I feel... LOVE me some Circa Survive and not a big Coheed fan...
                            Originally posted by Ars Sycro
                            I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Comment

I've always loved Anthony's vocals.

This is one of my favorite performances he did with Casey.

Anyway, I just enjoy everything about this band. Anthony's lyrics have always been fantastic to me and their music reminds me of a dream for some reason.
                              Originally posted by Gnomad
                              I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                              Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                              do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Working...
                              X