Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Circa Survive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Circa Survive

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
    I've always loved Anthony's vocals.

This is one of my favorite performances he did with Casey.

Anyway, I just enjoy everything about this band. Anthony's lyrics have always been fantastic to me and their music reminds me of a dream for some reason.
    Yeah thats easily one of the greatest things ever. Saw these guys Tuesday with Thrice and Pelican and they were amazing (as per usual). Anthony said the new album could optimistically be out in March. Also noticed he has a wicked tatoo inspired by dredg, its the devil/angel hybrid painting that appears in the CWA booklet. Look for his solo debut in August!!!!

Comment

I've always loved Anthony's vocals.

This is one of my favorite performances he did with Casey.

Anyway, I just enjoy everything about this band. Anthony's lyrics have always been fantastic to me and their music reminds me of a dream for some reason.
      Hmm... I'm LOVE Bjork AND Anthony Green. I love the idea of Anthony Green doing a Bjork cover but some reason I really wasn't a fan of that version...

...it sounded like it was missing something and Casey's voice was a bit off...
      Originally posted by Ars Sycro
      I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Comment

Zack was actually the guy that originally recorded Anthony singing "Unravel" in a bathroom.

Don't ask about the circumstances that led to them being in the bathroom recording something.
        Originally posted by Gnomad
        I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
        Originally posted by auto-de-fe
        do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
          But you can stand Coheed?
          Claudio's voice grew on me..but the biggest reason is pretty plain and simple..Claudio is a master at writing hooks..vocal-lines with over-the-top vocal hooks included..I've never heard anything remotely of that level from CS.

Besides, Claudio's voice reminds me more of the likes of Geddy Lee and Michael Jackson, both whom I like as singers. Anthony Green sounds like he's never hit puberty.
          allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

My Anthony Green story is actually from when he was still part of Saosin. I ended up seeing them at the Axis in Boston a few yrs ago with a few other shitty emo-core bands. After their set I talked with Green a bit and he saw my Bjork T-shirt which in turn started a long conversation about how friggin' awesome she is. We talked about how she always yells "Shank you!" after each song she performs and I stated the fact that his voice resembles hers a bit. I also got Anthony to sign my Translating The Name EP

Anyway, I just thought it was funny that he covered Bjork when I saw him at the Axis again with Circa Survive a few yrs after our conversation at the same venue. The song, Unravel, is covered by so many bands (Radiohead, Circa, Jason Marz, Okkervil River, Something Corporate, etc). The song itself is so powerful and gorgeous that it is no surprise so many bands feel connected to this song. Also it's perfect song to dedicate to a loved one. [/Bjork fanboy rant]

Comment

Originally posted by SoundscapeMN View Post
              Claudio's voice grew on me..but the biggest reason is pretty plain and simple..Claudio is a master at writing hooks..vocal-lines with over-the-top vocal hooks included..I've never heard anything remotely of that level from CS.

Besides, Claudio's voice reminds me more of the likes of Geddy Lee and Michael Jackson, both whom I like as singers. Anthony Green sounds like he's never hit puberty.
              You mention Michael Jackson as a good singer and then say that Anthony Green sounds like he hasn't hit puberty? C'mon dude!

This is definitely a matter of opinion. Personally I find Anthony to be VERY talented. The guy has been a part of multiple great releases in the past two years (Circa Survive's stuff and TSOAF). There is not ONE Circa song that I don't love.

Super God.
              do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

You mention Michael Jackson as a good singer and then say that Anthony Green sounds like he hasn't hit puberty? C'mon dude!

This is definitely a matter of opinion. Personally I find Anthony to be VERY talented. The guy has been a part of multiple great releases in the past two years (Circa Survive's stuff and TSOAF). There is not ONE Circa song that I don't love.
                Stole the words right out of my mouth...

...I'm not about to talk shit on 80's MJ but seriously...

I guess it really is just a matter of opinion.

Comment

well, I wasn't meaning any disrespect towards Anthony Green, but the fact is, he sounds soh young, and I was actually hoping maybe on their latest his voice would have changed a bit (many singers have done that, Geddy Lee would be a good example), but sadly no. I think part of it is similar to why I can't listen to Thom Yorke, he almost sounds like he's high or something.

But even beyond the vocals, if they had a different singer, I might at least listen to them occasionally, but I've never heard even much of anything in their music that flipped the switch off. Nothing really extremely catchy or brilliant in their music. I think there was 1 or 2 tracks on the new album I kinda dug a riff or a section on..I remember thinking it reminded me of Minus the Bear actually.

See and the whole young sounding-vocals are kind of a deal-breaker with them since I haven't ever found something else amazing in their music, but there is this band I got into this year called Darla Farmer whose singer kind of has a similar youthful-sounding voice, but where they differed is they have a handful of songs that include other things I love. Horns, and piano melodies among them. Granted, I've even not gone back to their album as much as I might figure, partly due to their singer. Although, I do think their singer technically is good, but unless he actually is in junior high, I can't get past the fact he sounds like Alfalfa.
                  Last edited by SoundscapeMN; May 17, 2008, 03:32 AM.
                  allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

...I can't listen to Thom Yorke...
                    WHAT?!?! I'll just act like you didn't say that...

...but unless he actually is in junior high, I can't get past the fact he sounds like Alfalfa...
                    So, what if you imagined that he was in Junior High when you listened to him? Wouldn't that solve your problem...

...I'm done beating a dead horse. Just trying to help you like something that I feel is absolutely amazing...

Comment

It's just them old people ears.
                      Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                      Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

well, I wasn't meaning any disrespect towards Anthony Green, but the fact is, he sounds soh young, and I was actually hoping maybe on their latest his voice would have changed a bit (many singers have done that, Geddy Lee would be a good example), but sadly no. I think part of it is similar to why I can't listen to Thom Yorke, he almost sounds like he's high or something.
                        Well you're pretty alone in your sentiments about Thom Yorke I think. But you may be right about him being high.

But even beyond the vocals, if they had a different singer, I might at least listen to them occasionally, but I've never heard even much of anything in their music that flipped the switch off. Nothing really extremely catchy or brilliant in their music. I think there was 1 or 2 tracks on the new album I kinda dug a riff or a section on..I remember thinking it reminded me of Minus the Bear actually.
                        Two things. First, the guitars in "Juturna" are fantastic and if you can't hear it then you're not listening. They aren't flashy or showy, but pay attention and realize that it's two guys writing complimentary riffs that aren't exactly cliche bar chords Have you heard "House of Leaves?" And if you don't think that Minus the Bear are good when it comes to guitars then we clearly disagree on that as well. I don't like the tones so much in "On Letting Go" but I think Colin and Brandon are brilliant players.

See and the whole young sounding-vocals are kind of a deal-breaker with them since I haven't ever found something else amazing in their music, but there is this band I got into this year called Darla Farmer whose singer kind of has a similar youthful-sounding voice, but where they differed is they have a handful of songs that include other things I love. Horns, and piano melodies among them. Granted, I've even not gone back to their album as much as I might figure, partly due to their singer. Although, I do think their singer technically is good, but unless he actually is in junior high, I can't get past the fact he sounds like Alfalfa.
                        I still think that your enjoyment of Geddy Lee sort of establishes that this whole argument is just a matter of opinion, because my favorite Rush songs are the ones with no vocals, and my favorite part in every Rush song with vocals is the part where Geddy isn't singing and the band is just playing. Personally I would take Anthony as a singer in a heartbeat, so it really is different strokes for different folks.

Super God.

Comment

To anybody that might have a problem with Anthony Green's Vocal style or the guitar players lack of inspiration. Here is a zip file with three acoustic songs exclusively featuring both guitar players and the singer, that's all. No bass, No drums...

Hightail Spaces lets you send unlimited files, of any size, to anyone. Collaborate with your team and evolve your work.

...in my opinion, these songs are NOT better than the original studio versions, they just put better light to the AMAZING guitar writing within the band and shows Anthony Greens vocal versatility. He actually doesn't sing like a "junior high" kid during these songs (except maybe during a couple chorus parts)...

I know that there are people besides Soundscape that feel the same way as he does that isn't posting in this thread, yet reading every part of it. So if you're that person, download my provided link and tell me what you think...

One Second Clubber added 1 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Oh, and for those curious... The zip file contains Act Appalled, In Fear and Faith and Kicking Your Crosses Down. All Acoustic...

Comment

you may be right Brock, as I've repeatedly tried to listen to this band and have failed every time. I was trying to again last November when Ours went on tour with them, figuring I'd be seeing them anyway, but it just never worked.

For the record, I do like the new Minus the Bear album, their older stuff always was missing something to me save for a few songs here and there. A bit like Biffy Clyro as well, dig the new one, everything before it has never worked for me. The new MtB record has stronger hooks and better songwriting. I mean ultimately, that can be something that helps. If they can write a song, such as Darla Farmer, I somehow have gotten past a vocal that ruins it. Hell, I even listen to a lot of Death Metal now. But until I hear something amazing from this band..say even just 1 SONG, I really can't see myself being a fan.

Not that it affects listening to studio work, but their fanbase with the Ours tour didn't exactly boost my interest either tho.

Oh and Clubber, yer probably right, there are others who may see this but not chime-in but feel similarly about them and their vocals as I do. I have seen a lot of comments about them on other boards which are a lot worse than mine (I remember once they were called "spazz-rock" actually).
                            Last edited by SoundscapeMN; May 17, 2008, 08:38 AM.
                            allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Well in my opinion, the songs Circa Survive write are a lot more involved and unpredictable than pretty much anything Ours has ever written, and I like both bands.

Ironically, the night I saw Ours open for Circa Survive, Jimmy went on for two minutes about how good of a singer he considered Anthony to be.

Super God.

Comment

They're amazing. I got the liberty of meeting all of them ( my friend plays guitar for ...COUGH ** embarassed Cute is what we aim for ) and they tour together last year. I like Juturna better...they were sick this past tuesday night also.

Comment

Working...
                                X