Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

The Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Tent

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
    To make this point requires one to disregard the entire history of this board. This board has never been filled with only apologists and it never will be. In fact, of all the regulars that I've met and spoken with over the years, there is a remarkable amount of diversity of opinion between even the most "loyal" of fans. The members of the band themselves aren't even apologists for their own work.

You actually made a very good point weeks ago about how different people enjoy music differently. Some people enjoy the music a band puts out because its that particular group of people, regardless of what it sounds like. Others enjoy specific albums, others enjoy specific songs, etc. Most of the people that have hung around on this board over the years have been in the first category - they've connected on some level with this group of musicians and will always be interested in their output, even if they enjoy some of it and don't enjoy other parts of it. In fact, I would use that to describe nearly everyone I've connected with personally on this board.

I simply do not have interest in spending a ton of time discussing why someone else doesn't like something, whether it's music, or a movie, or a politician, or anything else. What's the point in marinating in negativity? It's one thing for someone to articulate their perspective on why something didn't measure up to their hopes or expectations - thats something that you, in particular, have been pretty good at. But it's something else entirely to take it as far as many others have taken it, both on this board and on the band's Facebook page (as well as their personal pages). Most of the time if I stop liking a band, I simply stop engaging with it. I don't see the purpose in arguing over something that ultimately is a matter of opinion.

I gave up a long time ago on trying to instill a certain level of rhetoric on this board because I had to accept that it's simply a fantasy of mine. There are people that want his board to behave the way I want it to; they hope for an intelligent and mature discussion on music from a band they enjoy so that they can see it from a new angle and understand how its impacted others. But others have a different view of what the discussions on this board should be, and who am I to tell them otherwise? We've gone through lots of phases and this is just another one. But I find the references to Vanilla Ice hyperbolic and pointless and, frankly, incorrect. I also find the attacks on the band's honesty and talent to be unfair and remarkable, considering the amount of labor involved in actually writing and releasing and touring on music versus sitting back and providing an opinion of it.

The criticism doesn't keep me up at night. This is a chapter that will close soon enough and it was a much-needed chapter. If it weren't for this record, I simply do not think the band would have stayed together. This has had a cleansing effect in a lot of ways and I think the band - and the core of this community - will be stronger for it.

I'm just a little anxious for most of this pointless stuff to come to an end, that's all.
    <----- Temporarily high

(but it's more of a high LOW if you know what I mean...that pretty much goes for any other post too, when I say that reading it got me "high").
    [QUOTE=gtrplyr7;176776]I'll never stop looking for new music but I find the older I get, the less new music appeals to me and the more I end up going back to older stuff. I think everyone has that decade of music that they could really relate to. For me, it was the 90s...[/QUOTE]
    [QUOTE=Gnomad;176814]I don't look for new or old music. I kind of just let it find me. I prefer it that way. I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to like certain things. It's all about being in the right setting and mood when you first hear it.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Yeah, I blacked out about halfway through myself.
      Originally posted by Gnomad
      I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
      Originally posted by auto-de-fe
      do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

My pappy used to say, "If you don't got something nice to say, get the fuck out." This is a fucking fan board, we're supposed to support the band here and engage in our appreciation of their work. Some say they've lost some respect over this. Honestly, if you're not willing to wait to hear what the band has to say before you start saying things like that, I don't hold the opinion that you had much respect for them to begin with. I could be wrong, though. I just wish this shit was resolved already. I'm sure I'm going to get some flak for that... maybe it's deserved, I don't know... just thinking in text, I guess.

You may say Brock's a dreamer... but he's not the only one.

/cheese

EDIT: Eh... maybe that was harsh... I don't know... this crap is effecting me more than I'm letting on, I guess...
        Last edited by Gnomad; May 14, 2011, 08:34 AM.

Comment

The Vanilla Ice comparisons are, unfortunately, legit in the context of the conversation. Basically the most famous case....

When I said I lost a little respect, maybe I should have said this very well could make me do so. Like you, I would like to see it resolved. They should take Vanilla Ice as a model of what not to do: deny.
          I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
          I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
          A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
          To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
            The Vanilla Ice comparisons are, unfortunately, legit in the context of the conversation. Basically the most famous case....

When I said I lost a little respect, maybe I should have said this very well could make me do so. Like you, I would like to see it resolved. They should take Vanilla Ice as a model of what not to do: deny.

The band's contributions to this track were completely original, and Dan the Automator hasn't publicly claimed that he was the sole composer of the musical track. I recognize that you and a subset of posters in this thread consider any and all sampling to be tantamount to plagiarism. I don't agree; a whole new subculture of music has emerged in the last decade that celebrates sampling and other digital means of alteration to create something new and different from something already existing. This record was a collaboration, and this track was provided to the band in a certain form that they then altered and added to in their own ways. There's a fine line here, and I realize that, but let's not act as though dredg is equivalent to Vanilla Ice in this scenario. Context always matters and if you can't recognize the nuance in this then you're being unfair.

But if a press release will make people feel better about this, then more power to them.
            Originally posted by Gnomad
            I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
            Originally posted by auto-de-fe
            do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

I never asked. It's an uncomfortable thing to just bring up, especially if other people are around. So somebody else can try.

However, after playing it last night, Gavin said "that was a cover", but I believe he was talking about the random strum Mark did as he crossed the stage.
              Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
              Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

He may have been talking about The Tent. I did ask Drew about it, but he didn't respond. I don't blame him, actually. I am not offended like a lot of people here are. I just know that he tends to read his messages on Facebook, and then responds when he has some time to.

I also apologized for asking because I didn't mean to offend the band in any way, because I am actually very cool with Drew especially. I just asked in the first place so this whole thing could be put down to rest already, but I also know that people will always find something to bitch about, so whatever.

No wonder Drew hasn't been back here since 2009.

FacebookTwitterdredg page

Comment

I dont think Drew was necessarily intentionally ignoring your inquiry.... IME sometimes he takes a while to respond especially with how busy they are now. And it's not like that's a quick yes/no answer. I wouldnt rule out a response in the future.
                  Email alerts tend to pop up on my phone and it'll be a response to an email I almoat forgot I even sent...

Then again, I'm sure you have more experience communicating with him, so....
                  Last edited by Penguin88; May 14, 2011, 06:33 PM.
                  just sayin'...

Comment

Hence the reason I said he replies when he has time to.

And I did get a response...

Originally posted by Drew Roulette to Wayne Evering; Saturday, May 14, 2011
                    Never heard that song before but it seems as if dan was inspired by it. Dope.
                    Let that put the thought that dredg even knew about this song to rest. If you want to know if Dan knew about it and did it intentionally, ask Dan yourself.

FacebookTwitterdredg page

Comment

I wish I could meet Dan to ask him.

Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Cool. Couldn't care less what Dan did. I'm done with this.

Comment

i don't really care about it either, as it's just simply not my bitch...but i will ask ars a question before i, too, am done with this...even though i never really started with it to begin with:
                          Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
                          I wish I could meet Dan to give him a lie detector test.
                          do you prefer this theoretical wish over your original one?

Originally posted by halcyon712 View Post
                          No wonder Drew hasn't been back here since 2009.
                          do you know that for sure?
                          [QUOTE=gtrplyr7;176776]I'll never stop looking for new music but I find the older I get, the less new music appeals to me and the more I end up going back to older stuff. I think everyone has that decade of music that they could really relate to. For me, it was the 90s...[/QUOTE]
                          [QUOTE=Gnomad;176814]I don't look for new or old music. I kind of just let it find me. I prefer it that way. I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to like certain things. It's all about being in the right setting and mood when you first hear it.[/QUOTE]

Comment

What was my original wish?

Comment

I believe he's referring to your wish to live out the rest of your days in your parents' bathtub, consuming only the organs and flesh of babies while watching nothing but cataloged Tom Brokaw news reports from his glory days (1993-98).
                              Originally posted by vsd
                              ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

That's clearly wrong since his glory days were 95-99.

Comment

Working...
                                X