Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

The Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Tent

I don't see how. The Beach Boys and the Beatles have done the same exact thing, doesn't seem to hurt them.

Comment

Keep telling yourself that. This is a Vanilla Ice move and a relevant comparison to him is a sum loss. It may not change YOUR opninion, but it does mine and several others. It's all about integrity.
      I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
      I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
      A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
      To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

I dunno, I can't get my words out apparently. I don't give a flying fuck because I love the song. My issue is more with DTA than with dredg. This is one of those cases where I really shouldn't let something get to me (this notion, even if it's only in my mind, that there is a potential for a black mark against dredg due to something they didn't fully create) but I kind of am anyways. But yeah, my main problem comes from DTA in this case. In my opinion, this is worse than typical sampling because it isn't sampled. It's just lifted and re-recorded.

I'll just have to learn to let go, because honestly, it really DOESN'T bother me much. I was just asking a stupid question in a backwards and unclear way. Hell, I don't even know what I was getting at at this point.
        A vest has no sleeves.

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
          Keep telling yourself that. This is a Vanilla Ice move and a relevant comparison to him is a sum loss. It may not change YOUR opninion, but it does mine and several others. It's all about integrity.
          Oh, OK. Well we should definitely call up the band and tell them the world demands an apology. Clearly their years of creative work are now worthless because their producer sampled someone else's work when he wrote a song and had Gavin lay vocals over it. How dare they? The audacity. The nerve. We shall not rest until anything that resembles something else is retracted.
          ---
          Originally posted by Fawst View Post
          I dunno, I can't get my words out apparently. I don't give a flying fuck because I love the song. My issue is more with DTA than with dredg. This is one of those cases where I really shouldn't let something get to me (this notion, even if it's only in my mind, that there is a potential for a black mark against dredg due to something they didn't fully create) but I kind of am anyways. But yeah, my main problem comes from DTA in this case. In my opinion, this is worse than typical sampling because it isn't sampled. It's just lifted and re-recorded.

I'll just have to learn to let go, because honestly, it really DOESN'T bother me much. I was just asking a stupid question in a backwards and unclear way. Hell, I don't even know what I was getting at at this point.
          Well, I definitely see your point. It's not common for dredg to do something like this, you almost want to believe they were duped or something. But at the same time, this is a pretty fucking common thing in music. It happens every now and then. You have every right to be bothered by it... but at the end of the day, the song is still there and someone else is going to do the same thing tomorrow. You'd be hard pressed to find a band that has never written at least one part that isn't eerily similar to something else.

Comment

No, but if they respect the art, they should. I could give a shit if they appease me, but I have lost a little respect for them as artists. That is my prerogative.
            ---
            I'm not saying they should come out and flaggelate themselves, but the respectful thing to do would be to come out and say "It has come to our attention that a song brought forth by Dan and placed on the album is not an original work. ......... deserves writing credit for this song."

Is that so hard?

Comment

Gnomad, if/when that happens to dredg or another band you like, would you be so forgiving as well? In this particular case I am relatively OK hoping the dredg guys have no idea, Gavin keep saying Dan WROTE 3 songs that he just provided vocals for. If it was their song, I would have huge issues with that. Now I just completely lost respect for Dan. It is a simple melody, if he needs to "sample" that, what kind of a musician he is? I have no experience with rap/hip-hop producers as this is the first case in my life when I have to deal with them, so I don't know how common it is for them to steal music. When they sample a popular one that everybody knows, it is kinda OK, I guess. But doing "The Tent" by completely using somebody else's music written for a French animated movie 30 years ago with no credit, for me it is stealing and something I am very much against.

On a side note, during last week I am thinking about that again, it is a topic that bothers me periodically for years. How musician work? They are exposed to so much music. Is it possible not to get influenced but it and sample it without even realizing it? Like you heard something 10 years ago, it is somewhere on the back of your head and they you're jamming and it happens you used it. How you know or preserve yourself not to do that?

P.S. AnewKINDofFEELING, exactly the way I see things. I hope they had no idea. But not it became popular, so...
              Last edited by InfraredDream; May 10, 2011, 05:54 PM. Reason: adding
              Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

It has happened to dredg and other bands I've liked. I'm not really concerned by it. Their artists, and in most cases adults. They can work it out on their own, I'm not going to give their affairs much thought. The only situation I haven't been in is a band I like being copied by another band I like. I don't know how I'd react to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Fawst View Post
                  Here's the thing that I don't understand: why was The Verve destroyed as a band by The Rolling Stones for using a sample of an orchestral cover of one of their songs, but in this case it's not shocking or damaging?

Why WAS The verve completely destroyed as a band? I don't get that at all
                  Like the rolling stones didn't have enough money

Comment

Originally posted by Knifeboy View Post
                    Why WAS The verve completely destroyed as a band? I don't get that at all
                    Like the rolling stones didn't have enough money
                    Heroin isn't cheap these days.

Comment

Especially for Keith Richards.

Comment

Originally posted by sangreal314 View Post
                        why are they not being blasted for ripping off coolio as well?
                        Because I still haven't heard anything that resembles any Coolio songs I've ever heard?
                        Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                        Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
                          Because I still haven't heard anything that resembles any Coolio songs I've ever heard?
                          the intro to another tribe is totally a ripoff of gangsta's paradise.

Comment

I just don't hear it.
                            Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                            Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

After cribble said it, I couldn't not hear it for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by sangreal314 View Post
                                the intro to another tribe is totally a ripoff of gangsta's paradise.
                                I view it more like a joke... its the same synth part but its not a rip off in any sense of the term.

And as far as this song being ripped off... 1. I don't care 2. im sure they gave the artist some love. 3. we don't know any of the way this song all went down so i think people on this board that are "Pissed off" need to take a chill pill and stop channeling your anger about the album as a whole on "dredg totally ripped off an artist that wrote a 5 minute piece that didn't change in 68 measures that was featured on a very unknown independent animated film"
                                Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Working...
                                X