Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

I think if anything, they improved The Ornament.

Where I'll End Up was royally fucked, though. That was one of my favorite dredg songs just from the live audio from a couple of years ago. They just made it sterile and soulless on the album, and completely dumbed down the gorgeous bridge part. So disappointing.
    http://rateyourmusic.com/~SinsOfArcadia

Comment

^^^agreed
      How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

-Gnomad

Comment

Finally listened to the live version of Where I'll End Up. I too can't believe that those sax parts didn't make it on the album version. Still love the song though, it just would have been even better with the sax.
        Holoogamooga:
        It made me kind of sad when I'd talk about Thursday, the band, in high school and everyone would just look at me and say something snarky about the day of the week.

Comment

Except for the sax, I seriously don't hear the difference. The sound, the feeling and performance sound exactly the same. But I didn't like the song when I heard it live at all, so my opinion of it was already weak. It's kind of grown on me a little, but still... sounds the same to me.

I also think it's better without the sax, but that's because I hate the saxophone.

As far as the Ornament, it used to have this haunting feeling and that's kind of completely gone from the version on Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy. I don't dislike it, but I do like it better from Rushdie and hearing it live.
          Last edited by Gnomad; April 9, 2011, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I am really enjoying the album. I've only listened to it a couple times, though. I feel like there is a lot of attitude in Gavin's singing and I like that. I also feel like he's really raw on this album (probably something Dan had a part in) and I feel that that brings us closer to him as listeners.

Comment

The ornament would have sounded better had it stayed cleaner. more like sang real and parts of matroshka. the live version had an ability to move the soul it kinda went from almost bluesy to electro pop. I still enjoy it and understand why they changed it, what's the point in making another sang real?

Comment

I simply do not understand how anyone would fail to hear the difference between Where I'll End Up live and in studio. In the live version, the entire bridge part has the cascading wall-of-sound tremelo with reverb (think Jamais Vu or Planting Seeds chorus'), Gavin's vocals are much higher, and he sings with actual emotion rather than the passive way he sings in the studio version. The studio version has this unnatural, empty feeling, whereas the live version sounds uplifting and powerful. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by lotsofface View Post
                  Can someone clarify something?

I've heard many people such as sangreal say that they "ruined the ornament", now I agree that they messed up Where I'll end Up, but what about The Ornament did they mess up?
                  i don't know if you have followed the full evoloution of the song. it went from the part at the very end of matroshka to different versions of it they would play live as a short little interlude, most of the time it lead into canyon. i liked it all the way up to the rushdie version. but they changed it even more sense then. i just don't like what they did to it on the album. if you have followed this band for a while, you know that they did this a lot with the cwoa songs. a lot us saw the songs progress as they played them live for 2 years before the album came out and we did not like the final product as much. this is the same deal. they tend to change things that don't need to be changed. i've seen them say a lot about this new album that they tried not to do that as much and i can tell. i just wish they left the ornament alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sins Of Arcadia View Post
                    I simply do not understand how anyone would fail to hear the difference between Where I'll End Up live and in studio. In the live version, the entire bridge part has the cascading wall-of-sound tremelo with reverb (think Jamais Vu or Planting Seeds chorus'), Gavin's vocals are much higher, and he sings with actual emotion rather than the passive way he sings in the studio version. The studio version has this unnatural, empty feeling, whereas the live version sounds uplifting and powerful. Oh well.
                    Sorry... ?

Who cares, either way, the song wasn't great.
                    ---
                    I'll give you this, the live version sounds more half assed.

Comment

lmao, that isn't giving me anything. That is literally the exact opposite of what I said. If by "more half-assed" you mean "lacking shitty upbeat, polished, programmed studio work", I agree.
                      ---
                      And don't be sorry, please. The difference is quite clear regardless of whether or not you're hearing it.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

lol love the way this guy pronounces dredg.

Comment

Originally posted by Sins Of Arcadia View Post
                          lmao, that isn't giving me anything. That is literally the exact opposite of what I said. If by "more half-assed" you mean "lacking shitty upbeat, polished, programmed studio work", I agree.
                          ---
                          And don't be sorry, please. The difference is quite clear regardless of whether or not you're hearing it.
                          Yeah I immediately heard the difference. No intro. Very "lounge-ish" feel to it. And they definitely sucked the soul out of the bridge.
                          Last edited by gtrplyr7; April 9, 2011, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sangreal314 View Post
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBtqPo5naRU

lol love the way this guy pronounces dredg.
                            "dreddig"? WTF, LoL.

Comment

I love the atmosphere surrounding The Ornament. It really feels like I'm walking in through the back door of a venue while dredg is doing soundcheck. The reverb Dan used throughout really keeps that empty club feeling going.
                              Originally posted by vsd
                              ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

I think what everyone needs to read is the Mark interview that was posted a few days ago. I really don't think this album should be taken as seriously as the rest of their albums needed. This is just a fun album, it seems that Gavin and Mr. Automator had a very very large pull on this record and all the other guys were like whatevs lets just do it. And they put together an album of songs that mark said was enjoyable because they didn't have to really focus hard on a concept or take it SUPER seriously. I mean for god sakes he's said that they haven't even played some of these songs together live. So i think this album should just be looked at as a album of groovy repetitive songs and that's it. It almost has an 80's r&b feel to it.

I don't think they ruined the ornament at all... i think its a total smoke a doobie song. And whomever thinks that kalathat is a bad song doesn't know what its like to write music. Gavin's vocal line on that song is one of the best he's ever written.
                                Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Working...
                                X