Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

kalathat just doesn't fit in with the rest of the album. that's the only problem with it.

Comment

I think the loose concept of the album is based on society, and how we as a people operate as mechanisms to a greater machine, blindly feeding and fueling it. At least that's what I think The Tent is about. It's definitely not about camping.
      Originally posted by vsd
      ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

i think the tent is a love song.

Comment

Okay, well at best it's about a pretty crappy one-sided relationship. If you asked me there is nothing loving about doing anything and everything for someone while a trail of crumbs is your motivation.
          Originally posted by vsd

Comment

Originally posted by Sins Of Arcadia View Post
            lmao, that isn't giving me anything. That is literally the exact opposite of what I said. If by "more half-assed" you mean "lacking shitty upbeat, polished, programmed studio work", I agree.
            ---
            And don't be sorry, please. The difference is quite clear regardless of whether or not you're hearing it.
            Look, I just think the changes are minuscule. The intro is missing, the wall of sound (which just sounds like static to me) is there, it's just not a wall. I don't think he sings higher after listening to them back to back. And of course, the sax isn't there, but since I tend to tune out things I don't like, I barely hear the difference anyway.

The small differences are clear if you're looking for them, but in essence, it is still the same song.

And hey, maybe it's because I always heard it as "shitty (and) upbeat" that I don't hear the difference. Perception is king with things like this. Maybe had I listened to it more, I would notice these things. But like I said, I thought it was a weaker song and didn't expect to actually make an album. It fits well here because it was an upbeat track, but it never would have fit with anything in their past.

I do find it interesting that we generally agree with each other about the song as it is on the album, we just don't agree about its evolution.
            ---
            Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
            I love the atmosphere surrounding The Ornament. It really feels like I'm walking in through the back door of a venue while dredg is doing soundcheck.
            I love that perspective... I hear that too, now. Thanks, you just made me like this track more.
            ---
            Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
            I think the loose concept of the album is based on society, and how we as a people operate as mechanisms to a greater machine, blindly feeding and fueling it. At least that's what I think The Tent is about. It's definitely not about camping.
            I was thinking this exact same thing last night. I'm not sure how it works, but whenever I hear a new dredg album, it finds a way to conform to my current state of mind. It's one of those chicken and egg things, I guess. Am I conforming my thoughts to the music or does the music just happen to mirror my thoughts? It's probably the former.

Comment

This album sounds perfect when sitting poolside in the summertime sipping on some whiskey in the most relaxing setting.

Super mellow sounding stuff they came up with, I dig it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sittingsideways View Post
                And whomever thinks that kalathat is a bad song doesn't know what its like to write music. Gavin's vocal line on that song is one of the best he's ever written.
                The badly written lyrics ruin one of Mark's better guitar parts in that one for me.

Comment

It's incredible how diverse the opinions of long-time dredg fans are on songs off this album. I think Kalathat has some of the best lyrics Gavin has ever written. They fit the folk style and tell a story concisely, while highlighting his voice. How he sings those last couple lines beats me up a bit. But I really enjoy reading everyone's reactions.
                  words always ebbing, never flowing

Comment

Originally posted by noresolution View Post
                    The badly written lyrics ruin one of Mark's better guitar parts in that one for me.
                    I think his storytelling is great.

I don't really think the song seems misplaced because everything that isn't a repeditive pop dance song seems misplaced. Its not that kind of album. This is dredg saying, "hey, we made some songs and here they are". I really don't take the album that seriously, and when i do that i have fun while listening to it. Besides The Tents god aweful chorus, and the second to last track.
                    Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

I don't think the song feels misplaced at all. It's more of a much needed respite. I also agree that the lyrics are probably the best on the album, and maybe of Gavin's career. It's also probably the only song on the album that I wouldn't want them to re-record. In short, it's perfect. Reminds me of acoustic Sigur Ros during the beginning of the bridge.
                      Originally posted by vsd

Comment

Kalathat really is an amazing song. He managed to tastefully and beautifully sing a comment on society based on the story of a total piece of shit excuse for a person. Ugh, I really need to get this onto my iPhone.
                        A vest has no sleeves.

Comment

i see what you did there

Comment

I enjoy Kalathat, but it is totally out of place. And there is a name for just a bunch of songs thrown together. They are typically called EPs. That is all I can call this "album." It just isn't a cohesive unit at all.

As for bad lyrics, I loved Down Without A Fight at first, but the lyrics are just so bad. The chorus could have been written by most 13 year olds. :shudders:
                            I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                            I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                            A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                            To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Would u guys agree that the b-side " Time Will Tell" wouldve fit great on this new album if we've never heard it before!

Comment

this album has impressed me more and more with every listen. at this point theres not a song i want to skip or dont like... the end of the album took a few listens to appreciate but i do definitely like all the songs!

Comment

Working...
                                X