Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

let's just wait for the loseless version... i think more and more are gonna like it!
    <- This dog is smoking a pipe.

Your argument is invalid.

Comment

^ ...and waiting for the lossless version we are! We like to have something that we can hold in our hands, ya know?

Comment

ya, know! 'cause hands like to have something in them. ya!
        <- This dog is smoking a pipe.

Your argument is invalid.

Comment

I thought the lyrics for Kalathat were very weak. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
            I enjoy Kalathat, but it is totally out of place. And there is a name for just a bunch of songs thrown together. They are typically called EPs. That is all I can call this "album." It just isn't a cohesive unit at all.

As for bad lyrics, I loved Down Without A Fight at first, but the lyrics are just so bad. The chorus could have been written by most 13 year olds. :shudders:
            Since when do albums (LPs or EPs) have to be nothing but a cohesive ordering of like-sounding songs?
            Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
            Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

I'm really interested in hearing all the great lyrics people from this board will submit as alternatives, since we're clearly sitting on a goldmine of talent.

I personally think "Kalathat" is one of the best songs they've written. Elegantly simple, haunting given the context.
              Originally posted by Gnomad
              I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
              Originally posted by auto-de-fe
              do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
                I'm really interested in hearing all the great lyrics people from this board will submit as alternatives, since we're clearly sitting on a goldmine of talent.

I personally think "Kalathat" is one of the best songs they've written. Elegantly simple, haunting given the context.
                so every time you ever critique something you only do so if you can do it better yourself. you ever complain about food in a restaurant? or service anywhere?

Comment

Cohesive does not mean like-sounding songs. It means that the parts seem like they fit together. I donteen get that feeling from the songs. It just sounds, from Mark's interview, that this is being treated very nonchalantly. I would also just rather not think of it as a dredg LP. Personal preference.
                  I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                  I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                  A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                  To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Completely agree.

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
                      Cohesive does not mean like-sounding songs. It means that the parts seem like they fit together. I donteen get that feeling from the songs. It just sounds, from Mark's interview, that this is being treated very nonchalantly. I would also just rather not think of it as a dredg LP. Personal preference.
                      Doesn't validate your original point. EP's shorter. That is all.

Comment

HEY FUCKERS!

Anyway, I don't have a long and elegantly written review for you all but I feel as a fan of the band and their music I have a "right" to say how I feel.

Now the album as a whole and for what it is: I love it.

This does not mean that as a "dredg" release that I think it is the best work they've done by a long shot. I'm like most older fans in that El Cielo was the best offering they've had. In a comical way I said to my wife "Maybe the guys shouldn't have blew their proverbial load on their sophomore release?".

Before I start getting flamed by idiots/trolls/"hardcore fans" let me say this: I think that El Cielo is perfect in the sense that I feel the point gets across, the music flows together like it should, and I don't lose interest from start to finish.
                        The album builds to a crescendo and leaves me feeling cleansed spiritually, this will always be my favorite dredg album, I'm almost certain of that.

Having said that, Chuckles & Mr. Squeezy was well done for what it I feel it is, which is another step AWAY from what made El Cielo the album it was and more towards growth as a band. If they guys released El Cielo 2 it would be a fucking sequel and we all know how often sequels do as well as the originals (I'm looking at you Home Alone / Land Before Time franchises!).
                        I do wish the instruments were more audible, and I often feel that Gavin's vocals aren't mixed properly where volume is concerned at times.
                        I remember hearing Mark's tremolo on a track (don't ask which one) on my car speakers and actually cringing at the noise I was hearing, but on my hd headphones it didn't seem near as bad. Maybe it's just this particular rip, I'll be waiting to judge the mixing/production once I get a physical copy of the album.

Either way, as I'm just rambling now, I think the album as a musical release and experimentation by the band is fantastic, do I think it's their best? No, but do I have better to offer? Sure as hell not.

So before people say "This is a piece of shit, where is El Cielo II?", you go and record whatever it is you think you've got that's better and post it.
                        I'm sure we'll all have plenty to say about it.

Oh yeah, bokkers is still the devil.

Comment

k, i'm a big fan of dredg and dan the automator. DTA sounds like the dominant creative force here. It really sounds like a record of recycled DTA production with some uninspired, half-developed vocal lines from Gavin and occasional guest spots from the other members. This sounds incredibly lazy to me. All of the worst tendencies of their last two records have been magnified tenfold.
                          Last edited by froghawk; April 11, 2011, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SimpatiK View Post
                            Doesn't validate your original point.
                            And?
                            I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                            I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                            A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                            To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Originally posted by sangreal314 View Post
                              so every time you ever critique something you only do so if you can do it better yourself. you ever complain about food in a restaurant? or service anywhere?
                              To clarify, I don't think there's anything wrong at all with someone expressing that they don't like something or even explaining why. But I don't have any respect for someone that denigrates the artist in the process. You can say "I don't find these lyrics particularly compelling or intriguing" instead of "these could have been written by a 12 year old."

Not that most people on the Internet ever put that much thought into what they say. I just think that it's funny to watch some people on here dismiss this as if it took no effort even though over the course of their life they may never put the effort into something similar themselves.
                              Originally posted by Gnomad
                              I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                              Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                              do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

To clarify, I don't think there's anything wrong at all with someone expressing that they don't like something or even explaining why. But I don't have any respect for someone that denigrates the artist in the process. You can say "I don't find these lyrics particularly compelling or intriguing" instead of "these could have been written by a 12 year old."

Not that most people on the Internet ever put that much thought into what they say. I just think that it's funny to watch some people on here dismiss this as if it took no effort even though over the course of their life they may never put the effort into something similar themselves.
                                if they are going to play music for a living they are putting themselves out there for judgement. people have a right to have an opinion about it. you and some other on the board are too close to the band. you'll never see any wrong in anything they do and you always feel like you have to defend them. i'm kind of glad that i never got that close. how do you tell your friends you think their music sucks? you don't. so i understand where you are coming from too.

Comment

Working...
                                X