Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Haven't had a chance to listen to anything other than Where I'll End Up...but I was disappointed in that song. I really enjoyed the live version when I saw them play it. This version seems watered down.

Comment

anyone else having trouble finding it?

Comment

Look like 4 threads down, dude.

Comment

Kalathat reminds me Elliott Smith's Waltz #2
          Last.fm

Comment

The Good: Dredg does the '80s better than any one.

The Bad: Dredg doing a collection of hit songs from the '80s.

The Ugly: The Tent. Worst song I've heard in a while.
            Holoogamooga:
            It made me kind of sad when I'd talk about Thursday, the band, in high school and everyone would just look at me and say something snarky about the day of the week.

Comment

I'm driving to Little Rock next week to see Fair to Midland and go camping. I'm going to give this a fair chance and listen to it baked like a clam. Hopefully it will grow on me. I still can't see myself getting past the terrible guitar sound on Upon Returning. I just listened to Pariah, and if they used THAT tone on Upon Returning, the song would be infinitely better.
              I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
              I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
              A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
              To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Before It Began = La Isla Bonita
                Last.fm

Comment

I've only listened to the album once, but it's good. "The Tent" was the only song I thought was questionable, but I predict I'll end up liking it. I like that dredg are unafraid of writing unabashedly poppy songs because they always turn out well. Yes, I do like it best when they mix a more experimental with a poppy approach (e.g. Gathering Pebbles, perhaps their best song in my opinion), but I'm fine with their more straightforward pop as well. People can label it cheesy and whatever, but to me, it's tasteful and well written.

I'd be slightly annoyed if I thought this album was indicative of their direction in the future, but it seems to be a divergence, which certainly adds to my ability to appreciate it for what it is; I wasn't expecting an epic. And though the album may not sound experimental, it certainly is in a sense. dredg has never written an album or songs that really sound like these, so, I think the experience of having done so will only further their creative boundaries and maybe lend itself to helping craft future dredg epics.

Comment

Can anyone put up a .rar upload or tell me how to open .7z files on a mac? Never seen this before. Feel like a newb.
                    ---
                    Nevermind. I finally figured it out right after I posted that. Thanks for sharing everyone!
                    words always ebbing, never flowing

Comment

Originally posted by sasukefutant View Post
                      I'd be slightly annoyed if I thought this album was indicative of their direction in the future, but it seems to be a divergence, which certainly adds to my ability to appreciate it for what it is; I wasn't expecting an epic.
                      Well put . . . and to be fair there are some really good songs on this album. I think Where I'll End Up is actually very enjoyable, especially at the 2:16 mark.
                      Holoogamooga:
                      It made me kind of sad when I'd talk about Thursday, the band, in high school and everyone would just look at me and say something snarky about the day of the week.

Comment

i cant extract the file at work! help

Comment

Another Tribe - Favorite song so far. Sets the mood to this album very nicely. Also think everything works together well, from verse to chorus. Interesting musically and lyrically.

Upon Returning - Definitely growing on me. Studio version is much better. Didn't like this when I heard live version, but it's closest to dredg's older stuff.

The Tent - Like the verses, chorus (as others have said) is horrible. Def a Radiohead vibe to the verses. Overall probably one I'd skip.

Somebody Is Laughing - Probably second fave. Good vibe, lyrics are pretty cool. I dig it.

Down Without A Fight - I know everyone loves this track, I think it's just ok. From the first time I heard the snippet in the 'mask' video, I got the vibe of like a Joy Division song with electronic shit layered on top. Not crazy about this one but not bad.

The Ornament - I like it, but I think I prefer the instrumental version. Not crazy about the vocal melodies and lyrics.

The Thought Of Losing You - Average radio rock song. Has the potential of getting them some attention if released as a single, but to be honest they've had WAY better single-type songs on past albums.

Kalathat - Don't get all the hate for this one. I love it. I can't remember a dredg song that used acoustic guitars and was just a straight up folk-type song. Not their best song, but I dig the restraint on this one. As someone else said, could be a cool segway into a more upbeat song live.

Sun Goes Down - no.

Where I'll End Up - double no.

Before It Began - It's ok. Definitely not an epic closer, but an epic closer wouldn't fit on this album anyway. Has some decent, interesting melodies.

Have to listen through a few more times, but the thing that's upsetting me is that I'm only going back to 3-4 of the songs and I'm not really that excited to hear them again. Just happy to have new dredg. Overall it's an ok album, some highs and lows. But I definitely feel like this is just an experiment and we're in for another epic album from dredg soon.

Comment

Try 7-Zip or WinRAR (both freeware).

7-Zip Zip-Programm (32 Bit) 23.0.1 Deutsch: Das Zip-Programm "7-Zip" ist eine gute Packer-Freeware, die Dateien sowohl entpacken, als auch komprimieren kann und ebenfalls das RAR-Format beherrscht.

I can see a washed out moon through the fog.

Comment

No jokes yet about he sings "it was already over before it began" as the last song of a 41 minute record?

Comment

The worst song the album is probably The Tent. The worst track on this album is Upon Returning. That's one of the worst mixed tracks I have heard in a really long time. Everything is gainy as shit. I just can't get past it. When you can hear the bass, my woofer sounds like it's feeding back. Then it drops totally out of the mix. Good god.

Some of the other songs have at least grown on me a bit.
                                ---
                                Mark's guitar work saves Somebody Is Laughing, but again, the mix gets WAY too bassy at times. It sounds like my pictures want to shake off the walls.
                                I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                                I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                                A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                                To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Working...
                                X