Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

I think, THINK, what Brock is saying, is it's perfectly fine to hate this album. You can hate the lyrics, hate the way they are sung, hate the music itself, and the artwork too. You can think it's some of the worst music you've ever heard in your life. That's just fine. However, when you state things that compare it to "a 12 year old", you open yourself up to a little bit more than "that's just my opinion", because I don't know anyone on this board, or in real life, who has the ability to put together this album....even if it is the worst thing they could have done. It makes you sound like YOU are just so much better, that ANYONE (even a 12 year old) could have done better, and that they just didn't care, and half-assed it. When in reality, you can't, haven't, won't, and they didn't.

It's not that you can't have an opinion, even a negative one, it's just that the wording of an opinion sometimes makes it lose it's merit.

Personally, I enjoy it. It's not their best...but that's ok. I don't need it to be. I like it for the album it is, and look forward to future albums of continued growth and experimentation....whatever they bring.
    - Jon

----------------------------------------
    Originally posted by gderd
    dredg is the music I always searched for, the music that keeps in your mind the whole time, the music you remember when you're doing everything, it's the different music. the heart music
    ----------------------------------------

Comment

Do some of you even think for a minute that the reason they're doing what they're doing might simply be because they want to and it feels 100% good and right to them? If that's the case, which I'm sure it is...why should they care at all about any negative judgement they might get? They probably scoff at it. That's what I'd do if I put all of my heart and soul into something. Sorry, got a little cheesy there.

Same with el cielo ii...I don't think you can just "try" to make another el cielo...it has to come naturally. And why should they even try to make another el cielo when the original is almost perfect to begin with, anyway?

Moving on...

Comment

Nobody asked you dsv... Wait, did I? Nevermind, I might have.

Comment

^ just my "$0.02", that's all....

Comment

Originally posted by dsv View Post
            Do some of you even think for a minute that the reason they're doing what they're doing might simply be because they want to and it feels 100% good and right to them? If that's the case, which I'm sure it is...why should they care at all about any negative judgement they might get? They probably scoff at it. That's what I'd do if I put all of my heart and soul into something. Sorry, got a little cheesy there.

Same with el cielo ii...I don't think you can just "try" to make another el cielo...it has to come naturally. And why should they even try to make another el cielo when the original is almost perfect to begin with, anyway?

Moving on...
            I'm pretty sure this is exactly what Another Tribe is about...
            Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
            Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

The only song I really don't enjoy to any extent is Before It Began.

Comment

Catch Without Arms was a pretty ironic song - it's one of the most mainstream songs they've ever written, yet it denigrates selling out. Another Tribe is a similarly ironic song - how do you write lyrics like that then release pop drivel like The Thought of Losing You?

The problem is that this album absolutely DOES feel half-assed. I don't mind the stylistic change whatsoever, but this sounds downright lazy. It sounds to me like they half-wrote a few new songs, pulled out a few songs that weren't good enough for previous records to increase the running time, then let Dan the Automator arrange the whole thing while they sat back, and even let him co-write a few tracks which they didn't bother to finish. I don't get the impression that they cared at all from listening to this record. They could have written most of these songs in their sleep.

Comment

maybe emailing song bits to each other isn't the best writing process?

eh...we'll see how they do next time i guess.
                  Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
                  you're pretty narcissistic
                  enjoy that, nobody else does.
                  Originally posted by Madklikor
                  You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

Meh, I stand by what I said. I didn't say that the album could be made by twelve year olds. The lyrics in the chorus of Down Without a Fight are horrible, though. I think a tween could do that much, unfortunately.

Gavin has written some fantastic lyrics in the past, so I know he is capable.
                    I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                    I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                    A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                    To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

think about this as a pop album though.

a lot of these lyrics are actually quite deep and profound if you compare them to a lot of other music in the pop genre. I'm not disagreeing with you, as I think the tent is repetitive to the point of me wanting to stab forks in my ears....but the song is catchy as all fuck....the album is like that...and that's pop music for you.

Comment

Originally posted by evasivetear View Post
                        maybe emailing song bits to each other isn't the best writing process?

eh...we'll see how they do next time i guess.
                        i think that's it exactly. and this may be why it feels half-assed to some of us. i know at least for me, i'm just really disappointed because i know they can do much better. i don't have a problem at all with the style they were going for. they have pulled it off very well in the past. they just didn't this time. seriously, some of these beats probably could be made by 12 year olds. it doesn't take a really talented person to do that. and we all know how talented these guys are. we know the talent is still there. so some frustration is definitely warranted. i just hope they don't ever try to create an album this way again. they said they didn't want to spend as much time and be as perfectionist with this one. well, it failed. they need to be that way to make the great music we are all use to. hopefully they learn from this.

Comment

I guess so, but I kind of respected them more than that. It just seems like Gavin and dan came up with hooky vocal lines and just came up with the first crap that fit it and said "close enough."
                          I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                          I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                          A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                          To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

that's pop music

if the next album has this caliber of lyrics on it, then i will look back on this album as the true beginning of dredg's "eh" attitude towards record making... but I'd like to think that this album was very deliberate. Maybe it didn't work out as well as they wanted it too...maybe the long distance writing process and re-use of older songs to sort of fill in the gaps hurt this album a bit... but I'd like to give dredg the benefit of the doubt on this album and see what they do for next time.

I still like this album quite a lot for what it is...certain songs are rather flat/bad in my opinion...but i'm enjoying it a lot, and more importantly, it's spurred me into my little "gotta find all the songs" thread that i've started here....

anyway, regardless of our opinions, lazy or intentional...we'll never know unless the band members flat out tell us what they truly thought. interviews will only tell us bits of the story, cause regardless of what's really going on in their heads, they have to hype the album.

Comment

Not that he was downing this album, but cribble actually probably could have made an album pretty close to this good.

Comment

i agree with that. scott is pretty damn talented.

Comment

Working...
                                X