Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied
    Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

It just makes us feel better. We're still holding onto dredg being infallible. This way we can blame it all on the Bombinator.

Leave a comment:

• Ars Sycro
    replied

I still think that's the wrong direction. It's dredg featuring DTA. Why? Because the band had a plan for what they wanted this record to be before choosing DTA as the producer.

Leave a comment:

• halcyon712
    replied

I see squeezies.

Leave a comment:

• Gnomad
    replied

I chuckled.

Leave a comment:

• Lara
    replied

how's this? might make some people laugh.

Leave a comment:

• penguinintheroom
    replied

If I were to put any b-side on Chuckles it would have to be On Again Off Again.

Seriously, that song cleaned up would be magic with Gavin's voice as it is now. I have never understood the hate dredg have for it.

Leave a comment:

• dcthestar
    replied

Long time dredg fan. Have read the board from time to time over the years. Finally felt like joining.

About CAMS - I honestly really like this CD. Let me start off by saying that I had absolutely 0 expectations for this release and just went off the assumption that I would like it because it has 2 of my favorite artists (dredg and DTA)

I really love electronic music and dark styled pop like Mike Patton/DTA stuff (peeping tom - loveage) minus the bear, flaming lips etc.... However, I can see where some people feel let down and can honestly say I understand it. Its hard to follow up something like TPTPTD with ANYTHING much less a shorter styled album that leans more towards pop than epicness.

As I do with a lot of CD's, I have made what I call my ultimate mixes for CAMS. I take out songs I don't like switch the order around sometimes and replace songs with past songs I think can fit or good bsides. My ultimate Chuckles mix tracklist is:

What have I done
    Another Tribe
    Upon Returning
    The Tent
    Somebody is Laughing
    Down w/out a fight
    The old has returned
    The ornament
    kalathat
    Sun goes Down
    Before It Began
    Down to the Cellar *I know this fits perfectly on Pariah but it closes CAMS well)

Sorry for the long winded 1st post and HI!

Leave a comment:

• Debtfoabaaposba
    replied

I feel that if they had recorded the songs we had already heard,(The Ornament, Where I'll End Up) They would have ended up a lot better.

Lolz forgot my main point. Recorded them during PPD*
    Last edited by Debtfoabaaposba; April 20, 2011, 09:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied

Originally posted by Sittingsideways View Post
    Yeah but those songs wouldn't have worked in the confines of this album. They were going for haunting, dirty, grimy pop music with an electronic feel. None of the songs they've decided to not release would have worked with this album.
    See, that's the problem. It seems they were too concerned with making a dark pop album to make a good album. It's like they handcuffed themselves from the start. Most of it seems very forced and predictable, even the songs that I enjoy. Those are two words that I never thought I'd use to describe dredg.

The whole thing just seems entirely misguided to me. I'm not dredg, though. They can do whatever the hell they please.

Leave a comment:

• Eagle Morph
    replied

Originally posted by InfraredDream View Post
    Eagle Morph, just read your review. With a little bit of adjustments here and there, this is pretty much how I feel. Especially in the part about the talent. And about missing Dino and Mark. I do like Gavin vocals for the most part, he does some incredible stuff here, he is very confident with his voice and I love that most about the album. But same with me, very sad there are so many songs I can't really force myself to listen That never happened for me before and I don't like this new kind of feeling. I also see I am not the only one who is not happy with the added beat in the beautiful Ornament and feeling that actually takes out the emotion. Yesterday I felt I was the only one feeling that way.
    Overall, pretty much my take on the album.
    As for Gavin's vocals on the album, it's not like they're bad. He's still very good and confident. But his range isn't showcased like it should be. The entire album takes the best of dredg and their originality and neuters it.
    ---
    Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
    I don't think that's what he means, though. I think he prefers that they made a different album with those songs. And part of me agrees. I like what we got, I'm happy with it. But I'm not going to deny that this could have been something different and better.
    And this is where I come down, too. I can appreciate the direction dredg went with this, but considering what they've left on the cutting room floor before, it seems like a misguided decision.

Consider even some of the originals that came out of the Pariah sessions that didn't make it. Had they continued in the direction with songs like "Holding a Remedy Potion", Can We Start Over? (Time Will Tell)", "Wondrous Miracle", and the original version of "Where I'll End Up", it would have been a very interesting musical journey.

Leave a comment:

• InfraredDream
    replied

One of my favourite bands (Marillion) is doing some special CDs/DVDs they give to us (fan club members) as Christmas gifts, etc. I think that is a pretty good idea of using the b-sides, leftovers and DVDs they don't like enough to put them on sale. It is win-win. So, who knows, maybe one day dredg will find a good way to release the b-sides. There are some awesome songs there that many of us will LOVE to have!

Leave a comment:

• Gnomad
    replied

Man, I wish... but Drew has always said most likely no. They think it's hokey. But who knows, maybe they've changed their perspective on it.

Leave a comment:

• Sittingsideways
    replied

Yeah... you think they'll EVER release a b-sides album?

Leave a comment:

• Gnomad
    replied

I don't think that's what he means, though. I think he prefers that they made a different album with those songs. And part of me agrees. I like what we got, I'm happy with it. But I'm not going to deny that this could have been something different and better.

Leave a comment:

• Sittingsideways
    replied

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
    That was a thought out review, ANKoF. I agree with you on a lot of your points. Even on Where I'll End Up. I really don't think this song was butchered, and the more I hear it, the more I like it. Still, while I enjoy it, this isn't my favorite album.

And new dredg is new dredg. Good or bad, I'll take it. Still, I can't help but agree that they've abandoned better songs compared to half the album.
    Yeah but those songs wouldn't have worked in the confines of this album. They were going for haunting, dirty, grimy pop music with an electronic feel. None of the songs they've decided to not release would have worked with this album.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X