Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagle Morph
    replied
    Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Finally had a chance to digest this. Some thoughts on the various songs:

Like:
    Another Tribe - has the sardonic writing of dredg that has sort of defined Gavin's writing and vocals.
    The Ornament - already well known, not wild about the rhythm section being infused into it, but Gavin's voice is tremendous.
    The Thought of Losing You - It has that unmistakable dredg sound, but it's like "Information" or "I Don't Know": Familiar, but a little watered down.
    Kalathat - A good folk song, but the beginning is weak. The ending saves it, where the emotion kicks up several levels.

Eh:
    Upon Returning - Could be a standard dredg guitar-centered song, but it just doesn't have any pop or sizzle behind it.
    Somebody is Laughing - Again, no emotion. Whatever Gavin is trying to express in the lyrics isn't coming through his voice, the rhythm is uninteresting, and there isn't much of a flourish to it
    Down without a Fight - Sensing a theme here: No emotion, very bland musically.
    Sun Goes Down - Would be awesome if before the chorus it turned into a Muse-style riff (specifically sounds like it could be like "Darkshines") instead of sticking with the neutered pop sound

Dislike:
    The Tent - Just...no.
    Where I'll End Up - So incredibly disappointed. Loved the original.
    Before it Began - Could do a real badass western blues rock song. Lightswitch was partway there and a tremendous overall song. This is several steps back.

For the first time, I actually have songs on a dredg album that I will refuse to listen to. Even on Catch Without Arms, their most accessible album prior to this, songs like Spitshine still had some sort of value. The Tent, Where I'll End Up, and Before It Began don't.

I recognize what dredg tried to accomplish here, but I think they lost the forest for the trees. They have an incredible mix of talents, and by putting it through such a produced effort, they lost the forum for those talents to be expressed. Dan The Automator is a talented producer, but he doesn't mesh well musically with dredg's best.

Only Drew's rhythm is really present here. Mark's distinct freedom on guitar, Gavin's vocal range and depth of emotion, and Dino's versatility on drums/keys just aren't there, and it's disappointing.

It's better than a lot of music out there, but it's nowhere close to the standard that dredg has set.

Leave a comment:

• halcyon712
    replied

Yeah, I personally rank TPTPTD only second to El Cielo. The latter just really hit me hard when I first heard it, and I can still listen to it again and again. The former is almost the same, but the Stamp of Origins only make it a tiny bit more unbearable. Other than that, amazing album!

Leave a comment:

• InfraredDream
    replied

Originally posted by noclevername View Post
    Personally I think tptptd is up there with El Cielo.

*hides*
    No need to hide. I can't really compare these two, but as I said before I find Pariah to be their masterpiece. Still listen to it at least once every 2-3 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Ars Sycro
    replied

*hides*
    El Cielo is 3rd on my dredg list.

Leave a comment:

• Lara
    replied

*hides*
    !!!!!!!!!1111111

Leave a comment:

• noclevername
    replied

*hides*

Leave a comment:

• Gnomad
    replied

And a jug.

Leave a comment:

• Ars Sycro
    replied

But with banjos and electric drums. Oh and a standing bass.

Leave a comment:

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied

I wish they would just re-record El Cielo.

Leave a comment:

• Lara
    replied

Originally posted by InfraredDream View Post
    Thanks for calling my thinking silly
    ok

Originally posted by InfraredDream View Post
    Hahahahah
    I don't think anybody really wants another El Cielo
    lol

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
    This discussion has gotten really repetitive.
    hi
    hahaha

Leave a comment:

• Gnomad
    replied

This discussion has gotten really repetitive.

Leave a comment:

• InfraredDream
    replied

Hahahahah
    I don't think anybody really wants another El Cielo

Leave a comment:

• halcyon712
    replied

Leave a comment:

• InfraredDream
    replied

Originally posted by Lara View Post
    It's kind of silly to think...
    Thanks for calling my thinking silly
    Last edited by InfraredDream; April 19, 2011, 01:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lara
    replied

Originally posted by FeebleFables View Post
    As my post would indicate, I'm being defensive because I'm defending those that want dredg to go back to the caliber of albums they used to make. You're correct, it's not a life and death situation, comments like yours about going back to El Cielo are nothing new, don't confuse the time I had to post on this board with my viewpoint with fanaticism, I truly don't care in the long run, but this is a discussion board. I'll say whatever i want however. Thanks.
    Okay...?

I didn't imply anything as I used the word 'may'. You love El Cielo. Cool.
    I'm just being blunt and honest. It won't happen, as dredg have continued to drift more and more away from that sound. And vomiting over a song is pathetic, that's not an opinion. There are worse things to so drastically over-react over.

I'd still bet that they don't specifically want another El Cielo, what does that mean anyway? An album full of part 2 versions of the same songs? I'd bet that they mean caliber. But I was only sticking up for people here. So whatever.
    Well if they say "another El Cielo" I interpret is as El Cielo Part 2. You interpret it differently. Cool.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X