Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheRuleofThree
    replied
    Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Some of the most amazing stuff I've ever seen Mark do has been done in his spare time when he's just been practicing along to his computer by himself. I think he's just very specific about what he does and uses for dredg.

Leave a comment:

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied

Originally posted by Sittingsideways View Post
    what makes someone "better"?

This is my problem with a lot of Metal heads (not calling you a metal head by the way). Its all about "who's better", when really its all about how you come together with people to write music, that is unless a certain individual is writing all the material, which i highly doubt is the situation here in the band dredg.

Im a bass player, and i'll be the first to tell you that i'm not the best bass player in the world. But i don't think that matters one bit. I feel i have pretty good abilities to piece together a song, and i think i have a pretty unique style, due to me teaching myself how to play bass. This, i think, is lots more important than being "better" than someone...

i personally have no interest in who is better, im more interested in how they piece together music. Which im sure you are too... but in my opinion it doesn't matter at all who is better and not worth discussion.

and by the way Mark is better.
    I think we're kind of making the same point in different ways. I just think that Mark is the guitarist for a reason. He may not be the most technically proficient player of scales (meh), but he plays good shit in a way that is very Mark. I like bands that tend to scale away (Scale the Summit), but I also recognize that it's really not that original of a style of playing. I think that's why I love Bo Madsen so much as a guitarist. He just doesn't sound like anyone else I can think of.

Leave a comment:

• Sittingsideways
    replied

what makes someone "better"?

This is my problem with a lot of Metal heads (not calling you a metal head by the way). Its all about "who's better", when really its all about how you come together with people to write music, that is unless a certain individual is writing all the material, which i highly doubt is the situation here in the band dredg.

Im a bass player, and i'll be the first to tell you that i'm not the best bass player in the world. But i don't think that matters one bit. I feel i have pretty good abilities to piece together a song, and i think i have a pretty unique style, due to me teaching myself how to play bass. This, i think, is lots more important than being "better" than someone...

i personally have no interest in who is better, im more interested in how they piece together music. Which im sure you are too... but in my opinion it doesn't matter at all who is better and not worth discussion.

and by the way Mark is better.

That being said, i think im taking this way too far in a conversation that is only half serious... so thus, im being a tad bit of a douche.
    Last edited by Sittingsideways; May 19, 2011, 12:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied

I don't disagree with either of you. I was really just pontificating on how Gavin might be better.....

Leave a comment:

• Sittingsideways
    replied

i think its quite ridiculous to say that Gavin is a better guitar player than Mark. I really have no solid argument besides i've seen them both play guitar live and as far as each of their styles... Mark destroys his style of guitar. His pinky ability is unmatched.

Leave a comment:

• efpdwd
    replied

^ I don't know. Mark always sounds great and natural on his acoustics when he plays them live from time to time. I'm sure that it's a collaborate effort when they write. I've been in quite a few bands playing drums and even I wrote a guitar riff for one of our songs though I didn't play it live - I played the drums. I would say Mark is more seasoned as a guitar player and gets to play the guitar more often and as a result probably has more refined skills although I'm sure Gavin is a stellar player as well.

AnewKINDofFEELING: Gavin plays the solo in "Quotes" so he can shred too.

Leave a comment:

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied

Originally posted by Awakenings420 View Post
    No way in hell is Gavin a better guitarist than Mark! What are we talking about here people? Mark is a legend!
    I'm sure Gavin is a solid guitarist. We all know how dredg started, but Mark has been a professional guitarist for 10 years. I'm sure with all that he has played, he's better than Gavin at this point. Now, Gavin may play better lead. I really don't know. If that's the case, I could see it, but it still doesn't mean Gavin is a better guitarist. Lead and rhythm are totally different animals and require much different skill sets.

Max Cavallera, for example, very rarely plays lead or solos. He is still one of the best guitarists around. Some people recognize that James Hettfield deserves major recognition, even though Kirk did all the noodling. Robert Fripp v. Adrian Belew. Several of the Mothers of Invention have said that Frank Zappa had to be taught to play lead. He was a sick rhythm guitarist, but couldn't wrap his head around soloing for a while.

I just know that the strumming speed that Mark possesses is very impressive. I really doubt Gavin could pull that off. The only faster right hand I have seen is on Tab Benoit and that guy is a straight-up legend in my books. That alone puts Mark in very select territory as a guitarist. And he does it with layers and layers of delay, which is tricky for strumming.

I think Lightswitch is another riff that seems more Gaviny (made it up myself). Considering that he plays live on it, I could see it. Anyway, it appears Gavin spends a lot more time on an acoustic than Mark. Maybe he's a better "acoustic guitarist." I could see that. Acoustic and electric are totally different beasts. I feel so weird playing an electric guitar. It just seems wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Gnomad
    replied

Originally posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Cool! Thanks!
    Hey, sorry I didn't post pictures. It's just that I haven't seen the sun in a while and you kind of need the sunlight... so...

Leave a comment:

• Awakenings420
    replied

No way in hell is Gavin a better guitarist than Mark! What are we talking about here people? Mark is a legend!

Leave a comment:

• Hi-Fi
    replied

I listened the whole album a couple of times, and I must say that the album is great, from start to finish. I like every song on it. Dredg once again showed that they are very talented and creative musicians. I'm glad that they proved that they can be creative in different music genres.

Great intimate lyrics by Gavin is also a highlight on this record. And I like the artwork also.

For me, this album stands high and equal with all other Dredg releases. 5 original journeys they made with each one album.

10/10

Leave a comment:

• Gnomad
    replied

I can't remember who or where, but I do remember someone saying that Mark has said that Gavin is a better guitarist than him. Don't know if it's true or not.

Leave a comment:

• lotsofface
    replied

well I might have my doubts about that. He's a huge talent, but Mark is fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• sangreal314
    replied

Originally posted by lotsofface View Post
    wow that's cool. This is a very Gavin record, lol.
    i wouldn't be surprised to find out gavin writes a lot of the guitar parts. pretty sure he's a better guitar player than mark.

Leave a comment:

• lotsofface
    replied

wow that's cool. This is a very Gavin record, lol.

Leave a comment:

• penguinintheroom
    replied

Talked to Gavin after the Cleveland show and found it interesting that he also wrote all the guitar for Kalathat. I'm always wondering who writes which guitar parts because it seems Gavin has written at least a few of the chords that Mark plays (Planting Seeds).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X