Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Religion

Originally posted by Trathena View Post
    ...I did not list Buddhism or Taoism, simply because I think those are philosophies rather than religions, but I might be full of crap about that.
    http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
    seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

I consider myself agnostic. I just can't wrap my brain around the idea of the universe existing as just having shown up outta nowhere. Like how does science just exist and what made the laws of science what they are? So I do kinda believe there is something above our level of existence and comprehension. Something I don't get about religions in general. How could mankind understand a being so completely above us? I'm ranting now I think. I do find religion to be infinitely interesting and irritating at the same time though.
      Originally posted by Gnomad
      How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
        It is known for a fact that some of what is stated in the Bible is historically accurate. It is the attribution that God or Jesus was responsible for them that is disputed.
        yea, this book supposedly answers those disputes, if you believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyte30351 View Post
          I consider myself agnostic. I just can't wrap my brain around the idea of the universe existing as just having shown up outta nowhere.
          So you believe in a god that you can't explain because there's no proof of how the universe came into existence? What is the difference between believing something we know nothing about and believing something we know nothing about? I'm not trying to say you're wrong, because I don't really know much about religions technicalities, but there is no proof of any gods, which cancels out any proof of the creation of gods. The same can be said about not knowing how the universe was created. If you consider this, you may be Atheist.

Ok, ok...

I'm just going on.

I'm bored.

I'm agnostic, too.

*tugs horn*
          Last edited by Ooga; May 3, 2008, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IKnockStuffDown View Post
            I'd say agnosticism is less of a religion than Buddhism or Taoism and that's on the list. But meh..semantics.

I fall under agnosticism I suppose.

Comment

Well, just very quickly, I honestly thought hard about including Eastern philosophies, simply because they've been so hugely influential on me. But philosophies are not religions.

Agnosticism and atheism are both about belief in gods, so they are connected to the "religion" questions. Taoism and Buddhism are not. So they are not on the list, as much as I love them both. As important as they are to me.

You're right, though, noresolution. It bothers me to exclude them. Maybe people can list them under "other"?

Comment

Buddhism does have such things as creation myths and belief in divinity, though, so to an extent I think it could be treated as a religion.

But that's what "other" is for.
                I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
                  Buddhism does have such things as creation myths and belief in divinity, though, . . .
                  Now see? This is news to me, and I've read on this extensively. Always room to learn, which is what I hope this thread does for everyone.

And, yes, thank goodness I included "other."

Comment

I don't believe in anything. I'm happier that way.
                    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

I have problems with organized religions, no matter what their beliefs.
                      Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                      Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

I just believe that anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by cribble View Post
                          I don't believe in anything. I'm happier that way.
                          That's awesome, because so often we hear people justify their belief by saying something like, "My faith is my comfort; I can't that this life is all there is."

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
                          I have problems with organized religions, no matter what their beliefs.
                          In my experience anything that's "organized," be it religion or politics or even just a club of some sort, always leads to problems.

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
                          "Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature"~~Michael Faraday.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post

Virgin birth?

Super God.
                            do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Nowadays, virgin birth is very much possible.
                              Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                              Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

The Bible wasn't written today.

Super God.

Comment

Working...
                                X