Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vsd
    replied
    Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Leave a comment:

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied

Yeah, it isn't a matter of style. I also take offense to any implication that I am less of a fan. I am a fan, not a consumer.

Leave a comment:

• sangreal314
    replied

Originally posted by jgsb2001 View Post
    Give the album time to grow on you (if you have the patience, that is). The music is good, if you are able to disregard your expectations of what dredg should put out. I admit, on my first listen I was taken aback by the 80's vibe and my perception that the album lacked cohesion, but I soon got over it and appreciated CAMS for what it is - a collection of heartfelt songs. It isn't the concept album many of us are used to, but it is still Dredg. Also, the new songs sound awesome live! They don't feel out of place at all within the context of a live show.

If you are not buying the album simply because you think it sucks then you probably aren't a Dredg fan, but a style fan. And that is okay. Just like sports fans, many music fans are bandwagon-ers. And this is the point at which many will jump ship. No worries, there are many other potential albums that will fulfill your musical needs.

This is their KidA, Load, One Second (Paradise Lost - check the transition from Draconian Times to One Second if you want to hear ultra change). If you're not into CAMS, cool. Go listen to something else, or better, listen to the older dredg stuff and attend a concert to support a band that has obviously enhanced your life in a positive way.
    it's not that i dislike the style. it's that they didn't do the style well. they have in the past. just look at my screen name. obviously i like that style. i also love same ol road, mourning this mourning, it's not worth it. they just didn't do it well on this abum.

Leave a comment:

• bokkers
    replied

Originally posted by jgsb2001 View Post
    Give the album time to grow on you (if you have the patience, that is). The music is good, if you are able to disregard your expectations of what dredg should put out. I admit, on my first listen I was taken aback by the 80's vibe and my perception that the album lacked cohesion, but I soon got over it and appreciated CAMS for what it is - a collection of heartfelt songs. It isn't the concept album many of us are used to, but it is still Dredg. Also, the new songs sound awesome live! They don't feel out of place at all within the context of a live show.

If you are not buying the album simply because you think it sucks then you probably aren't a Dredg fan, but a style fan. And that is okay. Just like sports fans, many music fans are bandwagon-ers. And this is the point at which many will jump ship. No worries, there are many other potential albums that will fulfill your musical needs.

This is their KidA, Load, One Second (Paradise Lost - check the transition from Draconian Times to One Second if you want to hear ultra change). If you're not into CAMS, cool. Go listen to something else, or better, listen to the older dredg stuff and attend a concert to support a band that has obviously enhanced your life in a positive way.
    truth!

Leave a comment:

• jgsb2001
    replied

Leave a comment:

• evasivetear
    replied

Originally posted by Sittingsideways View Post
    are we gonna get some live examples of the new album soon? so anxious.
    cavis posted a show on archive.org. i posted a link to said show in the may 4th thread in tour talk.
    ---
    Originally posted by sangreal314 View Post
    well the days of there not being leaks are gone. it's a moot point. music is going to leak. and these days you better make music people like or people are not going to buy it. maybe if this was 10 years i would have just bought this album before hearing it, but those days are gone.
    in the specific example that anewkindoffeeling had, he purchased the pre-order. the pre-order was canceled. he listened to the leak. he did not like the leak. he refused to buy the album after hearing the leak. in that example it is not a moot point at all.

if i wasn't talking about that specific trail of events, i woudn't have been making the argument i was, because you would have been totally been right. most people try before they buy now. it's great for the fans, because they can figure out if they want to buy an album or not. it sucks for the bands cause they get scrutinized without even getting to make any money off the process. and that will hurt dredg this time around because their album 'isn't as good'.
    Last edited by evasivetear; May 8, 2011, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Corroded Halo
    replied

Originally posted by evasivetear View Post
    that's exactly why i'm blaming it on the leak. had it not leaked, no one would have known it wasn't up to par with previous releases.

it's really not a hard correlation to make. Maybe I'm not expressing it correctly? the internet is hard.

--

in the end, i'm not singing praises about this album. don't mistake this for me doing so. I personally like it...but I also totally agree that it isn't nearly as good as previous music produced by the band.
    I totally get you, and in a way, it is unfair to the band. When people like ANKOF and I decide against buying because of the leak, it's almost like double-penalizing the band for the "wrong" they've committed in our eyes. We were already going to express our dislike for the album and potentially drive new fans away, but now they're also losing our business because of something out of their control. It's easy to say "well, produce good music and it won't be an issue," but that still doesn't make it fair. It's sort of like an ornery old man gunning down the teenage punk he catches slashing his tires and then telling the parents, "well, if your kid hadn't trespassed he wouldn't be dead, so STFU and quit whining."

The caveat is that most of us are young enough not to remember a time when listening to an album ahead of its release was impossible, if only via 30-second Amazon clips and such. I'm not really sure what my music-purchasing habits would be like if leaks, samples, and other liberal methods of "previewing" didn't exist. Maybe the best justification I can give is that illegal downloading is the only way I ever came to love dredg in the first place, so 6 CD purchases later, I don't feel too terribly bad for using it to preview this release.

Leave a comment:

• Sittingsideways
    replied

are we gonna get some live examples of the new album soon? so anxious.

Leave a comment:

• Ciel0
    replied

+
    Another Tribe
    Upon Returning
    Somebody is Laughing
    The Oranment
    The Thought Of Losing You
    Before It Began

Neutral/- (songs I sometimes skip)
    The Tent
    Down Without a Fight
    Kalathat
    Sun Goes Down
    Where I'll End Up

In any case, a week from tonight I look forward to sipping on some whisky getting my sway on to old favorites and hearing some CAMS tracks live for the first time.

Leave a comment:

• sangreal314
    replied

Originally posted by Lara View Post
    a load of bad albums are selling well.
    that's why i initially typed good albums and changed it to albums people like. some horrible albums are big sellers, but they are albums that the majority of the public likes. the public doesn't care or know about dredg. so it's just this small community. and a lot of us don't like it. that's what's going to hurt them, more than any leak could.

Leave a comment:

• Lara
    replied

a load of bad albums are selling well.

Leave a comment:

• sangreal314
    replied

that's exactly why i'm blaming it on the leak. had it not leaked, no one would have known it wasn't up to par with previous releases.

it's really not a hard correlation to make. Maybe I'm not expressing it correctly? the internet is hard.

--

in the end, i'm not singing praises about this album. don't mistake this for me doing so. I personally like it...but I also totally agree that it isn't nearly as good as previous music produced by the band.
    well the days of there not being leaks are gone. it's a moot point. music is going to leak. and these days you better make music people like or people are not going to buy it. maybe if this was 10 years i would have just bought this album before hearing it, but those days are gone.

Leave a comment:

• evasivetear
    replied

--

Leave a comment:

• sangreal314
    replied

so then, it was the leak that made you not want to buy it. because you heard it, and decided not to pre-order/order again

i get what you're saying. i understood the whole time. you're just arguing the definition of why you didn't want to buy it. i say it's because of listening to the leak. you say it's because of the quality of music....which you wouldn't have known if it weren't for the leak. get it now?

and now we're back to where we began with my original statement that you have thus proved... i think this is the first time a leak has the potential to truly hurt the band. where as before, the hardcore fans would have bought it regardless of obtaining the leak.

but why is it going to hurt this time? it comes down to the quality of the album. the previous album leaked but they were good albums, so we bought them. we're not buying this one because it's not good. you can't blame it on the leak.

Leave a comment:

• evasivetear
    replied

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
    The pre-order fuck up is actually the real reason. I ordered. Listened to leak. They canceled the pre-order, and I elected not to buy it again.

My point is, if I heard the leak and liked it, I would have bought it. I have done so many times. However, this music just doesn't warrant purcasing. Thus, it was definitely the quality of music that caused me not to buy it.
    so then, it was the leak that made you not want to buy it. because you heard it, and decided not to pre-order/order again

i get what you're saying. i understood the whole time. you're just arguing the definition of why you didn't want to buy it. i say it's because of listening to the leak. you say it's because of the quality of music....which you wouldn't have known if it weren't for the leak. get it now?

and now we're back to where we began with my original statement that you have thus proved... i think this is the first time a leak has the potential to truly hurt the band. where as before, the hardcore fans would have bought it regardless of obtaining the leak.
    ---
    Originally posted by And we'll just put a happy little bush over here. View Post
    You know what is really driving down CD sales? Crappy CDs, as ANKOF adroitly points out. The simple solution is to not produce crappy albums.
    yes. this would make the most sense. however, i don't find the cd to be crappy. it's just not up to par with previous releases. but that's where opinion sets in, and god knows that no one can change those.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X