Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Weed legal for everyone in CA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weed legal for everyone in CA?

Originally posted by Trathena View Post
    When I go see a concert, I don't want to come out with a shirt full of stale beer just because drinking "the cheap PBR" is cool. Fuck "the cheap PBR", and fuck you if you fuck my day up.
    Twisting words around.

Usually when people spill beer... it's an accident.

When people smoke pot and fill an arena with smoke because of it... it's not an accident; It's fulfillment.

Anyway, I'm not trying to condone it... but potheads sitting around on the sofa or cruisin' around town act a lot differently than people hanging out in bars or having a little family barbecue with some beers and burgers. I've never encountered a group of people that actually tries to get you to drink a lot in a bar. However, I have met too many people that try to get you to smoke with them in order to "chill" or "have a good time". It's subtle, but the difference is there whether anyone on this board notices or admits it.

As far as it being better or worse than drinking -- I'm not even getting involved in that discussion because it would be endless.
    Last edited by Ooga; July 6, 2008, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ooga View Post
      Twisting words around.

Not at concerts. Not most of the time. Usually when people spill beer on their neighbors it's because they're drunk. And getting drunk is no accident. It's fulfillment.

Anyway, I'm not trying to condone it... but potheads sitting around on the sofa or cruisin' around town act a lot differently than people hanging out in bars or having a little family barbecue with some beers and burgers.
      Again, you seem to not recognize the difference between someone who smokes recreationally and a "pothead." But you seem to be able to tell the difference between someone who drinks recreationally and an alcoholic. You're comparing "potheads" with casual drinkers. Of course the difference is going to be huge.

I've never encountered a group of people that actually tries to get you to drink a lot in a bar.
      Gosh, I have. "You're not drinking? Oh, have just one drink. You can still drive after just one drink. Come on, just one." Hell, try telling people you don't like beer. They'll kill themselves trying to find a brand you'll like, no matter how many fucking times you say you don't like it.

Anyone who abstains from anything has to put up with "subtle" comments when he's surrounded by users, whether it's drinking, smoking, eating meat, sex, sports, whatever. That just comes with the territory of being outside the norm.

However, I have met too many people that try to get you to smoke with them in order to "chill" or "have a good time". It's subtle, but the difference is there whether anyone on this board notices or admits it.
      Both Brock and I have acknowledged that pushy assholes come in all colors. I don't hang out with pushy assholes. If I tell a person no, and he keeps it up, I'll say no again, and if he keeps it up, I snap at him like an angry chihuahua. He shuts up after that. Don't hang with people who try to "get" you to "do" anything, Ooga.

As far as it being better or worse than drinking -- I'm not even getting involved in that discussion because it would be endless.
      Truth. The hypocrisy of those who think alcohol and tobacco are less dangerous than pot is ever-present. Blind spots.

----------------
      Now playing: Ours - Crying

Comment

Originally posted by Ooga View Post
        Twisting words around.

When people smoke pot and fill an arena with smoke because of it... it's not an accident; It's fulfillment.

Anyway, I'm not trying to condone it... but potheads sitting around on the sofa or cruisin' around town act a lot differently than people hanging out in bars or having a little family barbecue with some beers and burgers. I've never encountered a group of people that actually tries to get you to drink a lot in a bar. However, I have met too many people that try to get you to smoke with them in order to "chill" or "have a good time". It's subtle, but the difference is there whether anyone on this board notices or admits it.

I don't condone smoking in public places, regardless of whats being smoked. It's unfair to everyone around you.

And we will go in circles with this discussion because I've experienced far more pressure to drink in my life than to smoke. I grew up around friends that did all of the above and I never felt pressured to smoke pot. In fact, they smoked it almost regularly since 6th grade and I never felt the desire or urge to until I was in my freshman year of college.

Also, its possible to have family gatherings and friendly social circles with or without pot or alcohol. Beer doesn't have a monopoly on get togethers.

I understand your complaints, but you're complaining about people, not the substance. Pot doesn't make someone any more of an asshole or a loser than they were before the drug - it just brings it out of them. Sort of like alcoholics tend to be pricks in the off-time in some ways too.

The bottom line is that you can't mandate responsibility or maturity, so you just have to have a legal system that discourages people from putting in others in harms way. That includes drinking and driving, smoking and driving, smoking in public places, etc. But I refuse to agree with alcohol being legal even though it can kill you if the argument against marijuana being legal is that people can get annoying with it.
        Originally posted by Gnomad
        I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
        Originally posted by auto-de-fe
        do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

My peer pressure was hallucinogens...

Comment

See what I'm saying? I wasn't even around hallucinogens until college, and even then I never even saw one or tried one until my Sophomore year.

Super God.
            do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

My peer pressure was to date boys and have sex with them.

Comment

my peer pressure was to do whatever I felt like doing. I had good peers, i guess.
                http://turntable.fm/traversing

BYOB

Comment

Peer pressure never really affected me. I kinda did what I felt like.
                  http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
                  seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

I've just spent 2 days of roskilde festival completely sober, no drinking, no smoking anything. And not once did anyone try to convince me to do otherwise...

In fact, I've never smoked weed, or cigarettes, and never has anyone tried to coerce me into doing either. It's always "want a smoke?" "no." done deal

you guys (mostly ooga) must hang around shitty people

Comment

Or you had a great weekend? Peer pressure can be mild or extreme. Most of the time, it's not even intentional. It surprises me that most of you don't seem to understand what the term entails, but that's a good thing.

Comment

Yeah but I think the basic point is that complaining about pot being legal because people will ask you more often if you want to smoke is missing the point. That's a personality thing, not a function of what marijuana does to one's body.

Super God.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
                          Or you had a great weekend?
                          Great week actually but the last couple of days demanded sobriety

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
                          Peer pressure can be mild or extreme. Most of the time, it's not even intentional. It surprises me that most of you don't seem to understand what the term entails, but that's a good thing.
                          I know what peer pressure is, I experience it a lot when it comes to alcohol

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
                            Yeah but I think the basic point is that complaining about pot being legal because people will ask you more often if you want to smoke is missing the point. That's a personality thing, not a function of what marijuana does to one's body.
                            Very well put.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
                              That's not why I hope it doesn't become legal.

The way they act is due to their obsession with Mary Jane.

You'd understand that if you put your pipe down and read every word.

See? This is what I'm talking about! Potheads are always right!

Comment

You're just a squirrel, dude.

Super God.

Comment

Working...
                                X