Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Weed legal for everyone in CA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weed legal for everyone in CA?

I don't understand why it's socially acceptable to drink around your children, but not to smoke. I understand it's most likely because it's illegal, but still, alcohol is FAR worse than marijuana.
    http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
    seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

I smoke marijuana in my dorm room all the time and I don't live in California. Pretty legal for me. This isn't a big deal.
      Last edited by Zenjiro; July 3, 2008, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IKnockStuffDown View Post
        I don't understand why it's socially acceptable to drink around your children, but not to smoke. I understand it's most likely because it's illegal, but still, alcohol is FAR worse than marijuana.
        Well, I'm just thinking of the secondary smoke issue. Parents shouldn't smoke tobacco around their kids either. A three year old shouldn't be breathing that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
          Definitely, I know of WAY more people that get drunk around their kids than ones that get high around them. I've only known one kid who was clearly exposed. One of my old neighbors came over to smoke one day. Well, I'm taking a big bong rip right as he walks in the door with his 4 year old daughter. I was pissed.
          yeah i try not to hang out with people that do that shit. I could name several times, but the worst was when i was riding with a buddy of mine and his kids on a 30 minute or so trip. It was the middle of summer, so we had the windows up and the air on. Then, with his 3 year old and his 9 month old in the back seat, he proceeded to fire up a joint. To say I was aghast is an understatement. I didnt call him on it though....the dumbest parents are the ones that get the most offended when you question their parenting. It's really sad to see kids that age baked out of their minds though. I don't hang out with that guy anymore, and I wish those kids the best when they are labeled as "learning disabled" when they hit school.

And I dont drink around my daughter either. My parents drank around me when I was kid, and even when I was really little I could see the change in them. Of course, there are definitely nights when I can't wait for bedtime, but I just prefer to always be sober when Im taking care of her. For one, it would be an easy scapegoat if there were any type of accident, and for another, two year olds dont really enjoy watching daddy play videogames, eat chips, and giggle like an idiot.
          http://turntable.fm/traversing

BYOB

Comment

Originally posted by noclevername View Post
            yeah i try not to hang out with people that do that shit. I could name several times, but the worst was when i was riding with a buddy of mine and his kids on a 30 minute or so trip. It was the middle of summer, so we had the windows up and the air on. Then, with his 3 year old and his 9 month old in the back seat, he proceeded to fire up a joint. To say I was aghast is an understatement. I didnt call him on it though....the dumbest parents are the ones that get the most offended when you question their parenting. It's really sad to see kids that age baked out of their minds though. I don't hang out with that guy anymore, and I wish those kids the best when they are labeled as "learning disabled" when they hit school.

And I dont drink around my daughter either. My parents drank around me when I was kid, and even when I was really little I could see the change in them. Of course, there are definitely nights when I can't wait for bedtime, but I just prefer to always be sober when Im taking care of her. For one, it would be an easy scapegoat if there were any type of accident, and for another, two year olds dont really enjoy watching daddy play videogames, eat chips, and giggle like an idiot.

Well said, well said.
            http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
            seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

Well, that's all well and good, you guys can run your lives on pot. A lot of people can. However, I never said ill of those that could. In fact, I believe my words were something to the effect of "If you've getting away with it for a while now, you're probably OK." I don't care to look up what I said exactly. My point was, which was restated a little bit better than I put it on the last page, some people are going to hear 'legal' and get stupid.

For the record though, all these speeches I'm reading here about being the best human you can be on marijuana... I've heard them before. And most of the people that have given me that speech are now in points in their lives where they're probably making a different speech. Which is the double-edged sword of my point. Some people think that way, and they're fucking wrong.

But hey, I don't know you guys personally. You're probably not smoking everyday, and you probably don't have jobs in which you can hurt someone pretty easily or lose your business millions of dollars by making a mistake. In other words, you're probably not irresponsible.
              Last edited by Gnomad; July 3, 2008, 03:42 AM.

Comment

i work in a foundry that makes glass block and cellular glass insulation. Pretty dangerous stuff. I cut it back a little bit, but nothing makes robot like factory work easier than a couple of hits on break. It is a "smoke" break after all. And yeah, if i get hurt on the job, they immediately drug test me and I lose my job and dont get shit for insurance or worker's comp. Its a risk i knowingly take, and yeah, it's pretty fucking stupid, but a lot of places have so many safety precautions in place it would take a retard to get seriously injusred. It's more motivation to follow those procedures, if anything. And I'm sure I will reach a point in life where I get tired of smoking everyday, and eventually give it up altogether. I have a daughter to think of, so my life is anything but my own at this point, and I can't imagine her ever going through anything like I talked about above. (Deity of choice) willing, she'll never have to.

I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything, Gnomad (or in my last post), so dont take it as that. I'm just one dude and I wouldn't ever recommend my lifestyle to anyone, nor would I expect to find anyone that agrees with me on anything (everything?) I say. It's always nice to have this conversation with someone that doesn't immediately demonize the leafy greens and label people who smoke pot as "junkies", and just stands on that as their entire argument. I really don't care if anyone thinks the way I do, but I'll always listen to other opinions. Besides, there's other things we can talk about.

Like when Soul Calibur 4 is coming out and how awesome it is. Also, can you slide a note under a bigwigs door and thank them for releasing the original on XBLA?

BYOB

Comment

I prefer being sober, I enjoy myself more.
                  (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Originally posted by IKnockStuffDown View Post
                    Drinking around kids has never been "socially acceptable".

Comment

Originally posted by cribble View Post
                      I prefer being sober, I enjoy myself more.
                      I don't "prefer" being sober, but I enjoy myself more when I'm am. I get the feeling my spouse does too. But I still get fucked up at least once a week.

I do my imbibing on weekends only (and the holidays). I exercise almost daily during the week, so drinking the night before would interfere with that.

However, if I ever adopted a lifestyle where I got high on a daily basis, it would be on pot instead of booze.

----------------
                      Now playing: Ours - Murder + Mercy
                      via FoxyTunes

Comment

Originally posted by noclevername View Post
                        i work in a foundry that makes glass block and cellular glass insulation. Pretty dangerous stuff. I cut it back a little bit, but nothing makes robot like factory work easier than a couple of hits on break. It is a "smoke" break after all. And yeah, if i get hurt on the job, they immediately drug test me and I lose my job and dont get shit for insurance or worker's comp. Its a risk i knowingly take, and yeah, it's pretty fucking stupid, but a lot of places have so many safety precautions in place it would take a retard to get seriously injusred. It's more motivation to follow those procedures, if anything. And I'm sure I will reach a point in life where I get tired of smoking everyday, and eventually give it up altogether. I have a daughter to think of, so my life is anything but my own at this point, and I can't imagine her ever going through anything like I talked about above. (Deity of choice) willing, she'll never have to.

I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything, Gnomad (or in my last post), so dont take it as that. I'm just one dude and I wouldn't ever recommend my lifestyle to anyone, nor would I expect to find anyone that agrees with me on anything (everything?) I say. It's always nice to have this conversation with someone that doesn't immediately demonize the leafy greens and label people who smoke pot as "junkies", and just stands on that as their entire argument. I really don't care if anyone thinks the way I do, but I'll always listen to other opinions. Besides, there's other things we can talk about.

Like when Soul Calibur 4 is coming out and how awesome it is. Also, can you slide a note under a bigwigs door and thank them for releasing the original on XBLA?
                        Well, you know yourself best. I could never say "You're wrong." until you fuck up, but you make a lot of good points and to be honest, sometimes I wish I was fucking high working on fucking excel sheets all day(It fucking sucks, cause I told myself I'd never be at a desk doing spreadsheets and making streams of emails for a living. That's why I got into the video game business. I get promoted, and what happens? FUCK!). I know you are, but just make sure you're careful. I'm really wary about things like this, cause I almost lost an arm due to someone being high at work. Obviously, not at my current job(Not an exaggeration either. He wasn't paying attention, and I'm in the lower bay of a garage, arm tangled up inside the car. He asks if we're done, I tell him I haven't even started yet, and he turns the car on and tries driving away. That was a very shitty day... he was fired, and I felt bad, cause I liked the dude, but not as much as my arm, you know?).

And I didn't think you were being confrontational. I was worried that you thought I was being rude and coming off as one of the "fuck potheads" kind of guys. I live with potheads, some of my family members are potheads, and some of my best friends are potheads. I don't like smoking pot, but I don't think it's right to tell other people to stop. I just find it funny that legalizing, while being a good decision, is going to make a fucking mess of things and have people thinking it was a mistake those first few months.

Legally, when asked, I have to say that I know nothing about Soulcalibur 4.

However, I got to test the XBLA Soulcalibur. That was good times. My name is in the credits.

Comment

sweet.

BYOB

Comment

What I don't understand is why people like smoking pot so much.

I drink sometimes, but I don't ever try to promote it when I'm sober, y'know? I don't sit around all day wishing I had a drink. Potheads always wish they had something to smoke. It seems stupid to me. Also, I've yet to meet a pothead that admits being wrong about anything. Take this board as an example -- everyone is always right. Potheads get up all up in your space and try to get you to smoke with them... which is fucking ridiculous. I hope it doesn't become legal in this state. When I go see a concert, I don't want to come out with a headache just because smoking "the good shit" is cool. Fuck "the good shit", and fuck you if you fuck my day up.
                            Last edited by Ooga; July 6, 2008, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ooga View Post
                              What I don't understand is why people like smoking pot so much.
                              I don't understand why people like watching WWF so much, but I don't stand in judgment on them. Different strokes.

I drink sometimes, but I don't ever try to promote it when I'm sober, y'know?
                              Well, I think this happens because drinking is legal and smoking weed is not. There's really no need for you to defend drinking to at least 90% of the people out there. Unless the person is some throwback to the Age of Temperance (or a Southern Baptist), no one thinks that alcohol is the equivalent of shooting heroin. The majority of people think this about pot, and those who know better keep their mouths shut because they want to "fit in" the norm. So, yes, you're going to hear a lot more defense for pot. I'm sure it was the same during prohibition.

Think of it like gay marriage, once it's finally legal, everyone will shut up about it (except the Southern Baptists).

Moreover, possession of pot will get us thrown in jail, especially if we're black. Not the case with alcohol. Hence, pot smokers are more defensive, and they have every reason to be.

I don't sit around all day wishing I had a drink. Potheads always wish they had something to smoke. It seems stupid to me.
                              There's a huge difference between someone who smokes once in awhile, someone who smokes recreationally, and someone who lives in the "pot culture," for lack of a better term. Wake-and-bakes are not representative of the average person who gets high.

Also, just anecdotally, I've heard many, many, many, many, many people say they wish they "had a drink," or "I need a drink," or wailing, "we're out of beer?!?" It doesn't mean they're alcoholics.

Also, I've yet to meet a pothead that admits being wrong about anything.
                              You hang out with assholes.

Take this board as an example -- everyone is always right.
                              Sorry, but this is bullshit. I know this, simply because I'm almost never right. Hell, Brock once changed the title of one of his own threads because Erik had convinced him (illegitimately, imo) that he was wrong. I don't find anyone on this board to be this type of personality. Not even you. ;-)

Potheads get up all up in your space and try to get you to smoke with them... which is fucking ridiculous.
                              You hang out with assholes.

I hope it doesn't become legal in this state. When I go see a concert, I don't want to come out with a headache just because smoking "the good shit" is cool. Fuck "the good shit", and fuck you if you fuck my day up.
                              When I go see a concert, I don't want to come out with a shirt full of stale beer just because drinking "the cheap PBR" is cool. Fuck "the cheap PBR", and fuck you if you fuck my day up.

Really, Ooga, ask Gnomad's head if he'd rather attend a concert with a mellow pot head or a drunk jackass douche bag.

But even more importantly, if the club is smoke-free, you won't have this problem. If it's not, I don't know how pot could be any worse than tobacco.

Comment

The things you are complaining about have nothing to do with pot, though. There are people who are assholes when they're drunk, there are people who are fun and easygoing when they're drunk, and the same goes with every other substance. It's very easy for a person to imbibe responsibly if they respect their own limits and ensure that others aren't harmed in the process. I tend to agree with the premise that given a certain freedom, just as many people will exploit and overuse it that will enjoy it responsibly. But that doesn't mean that our laws should be determined by the lowest common denominator.

And just for the sake of discussion, Ooga, I can't stand drinking. I hate the way liquor makes me feel before, during and after its in my system, and I can't stand feeling like I don't have any control over my surroundings. Unlike a lot of people on this board I can't even begin to try to type when I'm drunk most of the time. So, broadly speaking, I think you could make a strong argument that despite all of marijuana's ills, as long as alcohol is legal cannabis should be too.
                                Originally posted by Gnomad
                                I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                                Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                                do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Working...
                                X