Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

New Dredg Interview on Ryan's Rock Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Dredg Interview on Ryan's Rock Show

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
    As a percussionist, I've encountered talented guitarists in my life that will passionately argue that any instrument without a significant melodic component is no instrument at all. One guy I played with in high school said that the only thing that qualified a drumset as an instrument to him was the actual tone of the toms, snare, and cymbals - to him, everything else was simply percussive and therefore served only as an anchor for the song itself. I find that to be ridiculous. I know that no one on here is arguing that, but it just came to mind.
    I play drums as well. This makes me laugh because most guitarists I know wish they could play drums. It's the limb independence that fucks with everybody.

Comment

I have to say that I remember feeling pretty bummed out when I found out that the drums on Animals as Leaders' self-titled LP were all programmed. But it also made me respect their live drummer even more.
      Originally posted by Gnomad
      I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
      Originally posted by auto-de-fe
      do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

The drummer for Meshuggah programs all their drums for their albums. He creates this wall of rhythm that no human should be able to play. And then he learns how to play it for the tour. Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
          I have to say that I remember feeling pretty bummed out when I found out that the drums on Animals as Leaders' self-titled LP were all programmed. But it also made me respect their live drummer even more.
          I love Animals As Leaders, and I was so hyped when I found out they were on dredg's last tour. And they were incredible live.

I think the difference in opinion is coming down to an appreciation. If great sounding music is made on a computer, I can dig it for sure. If I hear the same music but know that it was made by people, I appreciate it more and therefore I would give it much more respect. I would also prefer to listen to it, unless it really just sounded terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by halcyon712 View Post
            Download this. I'm downloading the video now so it seems to be working quite well so far.
            thank you, sir. i was trying to find the video in my temporary internet files, but to no avail.
            [QUOTE=gtrplyr7;176776]I'll never stop looking for new music but I find the older I get, the less new music appeals to me and the more I end up going back to older stuff. I think everyone has that decade of music that they could really relate to. For me, it was the 90s...[/QUOTE]
            [QUOTE=Gnomad;176814]I don't look for new or old music. I kind of just let it find me. I prefer it that way. I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to like certain things. It's all about being in the right setting and mood when you first hear it.[/QUOTE]

Comment

The drums are the last thing I care about when listening to Animals As Leaders.
              Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
              Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
                The drums are the last thing I care about when listening to Animals As Leaders.
                So that makes them what, second?
                Originally posted by Gnomad
                I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Guitars, guitars, bass, keyboards, drums.
                  Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                  Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Not all Meshuggah drums are programmed. I'm prett sure most of ObZen was drummed. Bleed certainly was and that song is sick. Also, not big, but I am pretty sure the whole band works on their programmed drums.
                    I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                    I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                    A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                    To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Working...
                    X