Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

New Dredg Interview on Ryan's Rock Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dredg Interview on Ryan's Rock Show

Enjoy
    It’s been a couple years since my last interview with Dredg, and within that time, I’ve become infatuated with Dan The Automator projects Handsome Boy Modeling School and Lovage. As I get reacquainted with Dredg vocalist Gavin Hayes and guitarist Mark Engles over dinner on Sunset Blvd, Hayes chimes in on the renowned producer. “Dr. […]
    A Drifter's Dream

Re: New Dredg Interview on Ryan's Rock Show

That's a pretty good interview. Enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
      That's a pretty good interview. Enjoyed it.
      Me too Sooo excited for the 19th!
      A Drifter's Dream

Comment

it definitely is an interesting perspective on the stress levels involved in the production of Pariah vs. CAMS.
        How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

-Gnomad

Comment

I love this interview. In my opinion, whether you love or hate this record this interview pretty much sums up everyone's distaste for this record. Couple of standouts i love...

The overall explanation of just not wanting to make a record that they were so immersed in... so consumed by. If anyone has seriously sat down with four other individuals and tried to write music, let alone record it, you know that it can seriously tear apart friendships, relationships and ideas. It is so difficult sharing ideas with people that have even the SLIGHTEST difference of opinion. Its a constant struggle. Just the idea of writing a record that would come off as "easy" or "lay back" sounds like a fucking paradise.

And another thing i love is the fact that Mark said that he has grown as a musician in the sense that its not about having the best guitar sound, and having an epic climax ALL THE TIME. This is something that will prove to be an idealogy of how to write solid rock songs. You don't need the perfect wall of sound, and if you think that? Then good luck being in a band because the other musicians will eventually grow to despise you.

Overall i think this record is just a fun record... a record they had fun making. I can just envision dredg with Dan sitting back in front of a computer on a couch having some brews and recording a song in no less than 2 or 3 hours. That too me sounds ridiculously fun. And regardless of if you like the album or not, you have to give these guys credit for staying in a band for as long as they have with very little mainstream success. You have to give these guys the creative ability to say, "hey, that track isn't perfect, but it sounds good... i like it" They deserve that.
          Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Great interview, thank for sharing!
            I can see a washed out moon through the fog.

Comment

Go figure. It wont work on my phucking phone
              just sayin'...

Comment

It was a great interview but I still think Dan's vision for Dredg was completely off and I'm glad he didn't want to be on Pariah haha. Saddest part of the interview though is hearing how they can barely pay their rent, as an aspiring musician that just bums me out.

Comment

^ I agree. So many less talented musicians can sustain living off making music. Goes to show how the music industry (or society's taste in music) has gone to shit.

Comment

Originally posted by efpdwd View Post
                    ^ I agree. So many less talented musicians can sustain living off making music. Goes to show how the music industry (or society's taste in music) has gone to shit.
                    Gone? This has been the case since the beginning of time.
                    I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                    I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                    A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                    To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Very interesting interview, thanks a lot! It gives lots of answers that we already know, but the video interview actually shows them speak and that says more than reading the words... Seeing them so relaxed about the music and their lives and their place in the industry and so on.
                      And this view and take on the album I can totally understand and appreciate. Just not bashing the old ones and stating this one is better, etc.
                      Going a bit offtopic, but it is funny and sad that Mark's favourite is The Tent "written" by Dan... It seems they have no idea it wasn't actually a Dan's song...

Anyway, very good interview and it was wonderful to see them! Thanks again!
                      Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
                        Gone? This has been the case since the beginning of time.
                        It's always funny to me that people think this is a new development. Ask anyone significantly older than you. There's always been a large amount of shitty music.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
                          It's always funny to me that people think this is a new development. Ask anyone significantly older than you. There's always been a large amount of shitty music.
                          I think the major turning point was actually Elvis.
                          ---
                          Originally posted by InfraredDream View Post
                          And this view and take on the album I can totally understand and appreciate. Just not bashing the old ones and stating this one is better, etc.
                          I think that whole thing was a matter of cutting off their noses to spite their face. Those comments just seemed very emotional, so I definitely took them with a grain of salt.
                          I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                          I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                          A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                          To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

I think so too. Thus I said this interview is very good as you can actually see them being relaxed, happy and confident. The previous ones that hit me bad were very bitter and hard to read. I enjoyed this one a lot!
                            Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

That was great to watch, thanks for posting.
                              last.fm

Comment

Working...
                              X