Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

New Dredg Interview on Ryan's Rock Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Dredg Interview on Ryan's Rock Show

Kanye is a great producer, with some great songs. He's a terrible rapper, though. I saw that Coachella performance. The theatrics are great, but I have just two words: breath control.
    Originally posted by vsd
    ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Originally posted by Knifeboy View Post
      Kanye doesn't use autotune all the time... And when he does it is mostly for effect
      Problem for me is that effect is used way too often. And if it's not him, it's the artists he's producing.

And there's several demo versions of that track out there with different vocal tracks... He doesn't use autotune just so he can be lazy
      Ok, I'll give you that, just because I've never heard, or cared to hear any of his demos.

Sure you can be lazy with autotune but then it sounds lazy. Do you disagree with the use of EQ too? I mean if you have to EQ it you're just lazy because you should redo the take untill you get the sound right
      That is not true. EQ isn't used to "fix" a pitch of an instrument or voice, like autotune is meant to be used. EQ is used by every engineer and live sound tech (and any recording personnel in the world actually) for mastering and leveling out bass, treble and midrange frequencies.

FacebookTwitterdredg page

Comment

Originally posted by halcyon712 View Post
        That is not true. EQ isn't used to "fix" a pitch of an instrument or voice, like autotune is meant to be used. EQ is used by every engineer and live sound tech (and any recording personnel in the world actually) for mastering and leveling out bass, treble and midrange frequencies.
        True... EQ and Autotune are completely different. I view autotune as a separate instrument in itself. When its used sparingly and with restrain it can be really good...

perfect example is Bon Iver, who interestingly enough has worked with Kanye. In the song The Wolves (act I & II), he doesn't use the autotune until the little lull right before the big build up at the end of the song and he uses it as backup vocal's "What might of been lost"... he doesn't even use it on the whole line... he uses it once or twice just on the word "lost" yet it adds so much feeling to that portion of the song.

Kanye just downright over uses it. Its like making a song that incorporates the didgeridoo but then focus the whole song around it... then decide to write a whole album of didgeridoo songs.
        Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

EQ is used to correct the eq of a track
          Autotune is used to correct the pitch of a track

EQ is an effect

Autotune is an effect

They're used as effects.

Sure EQ has become pretty damned important.
          But it's still just that, an effect.

I don't know why autotune should be treated any differently.
          It's ok that you don't like the sound of it. I don't like the sound of autotune when they attempt to hide that it's used and fails. But when it's used intentionally to create a specific sound, then i think it can be pretty neat.
          Do you dislike people who put distortion on their voice too for effect? Or reverb, or delay etc etc etc

Some of my favorite bits of music made in the last couple of years has been using autotune to great effect, above mentioned Bon Iver song and Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul comes to mind
          Last edited by Knifeboy; May 16, 2011, 12:50 AM.

Comment

EQ is used to correct the eq of a track
            Autotune is used to correct the pitch of a track

EQ is an effect

Autotune is an effect

They're used as effects.

Sure EQ has become pretty damned important.
            But it's still just that, an effect.

I don't know why autotune should be treated any differently.
            It's ok that you don't like the sound of it. I don't like the sound of autotune when they attempt to hide that it's used and fails. But when it's used intentionally to create a specific sound, then i think it can be pretty neat.
            Do you dislike people who put distortion on their voice too for effect? Or reverb, or delay etc etc etc

Some of my favorite bits of music made in the last couple of years has been using autotune to great effect, above mentioned Bon Iver song and Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul comes to mind
            Yes they are both effects. But I think EQ was just a bad example of your argument, if for nothing else but the fact that receivers and car stereos and the like don't have autotune settings. EQ is the most important "effect" in any recording and can be edited by the end user to provide for his/her tastes.

I don't mind autotune as long as it's not overused, as Kanye so clearly does. I enjoy songs that use it to enhance a line or two, like NIN Starfuckers Inc. But to use it for an entire song, and in Kanye's case most of the library of stuff I've heard of his, is just too damn much for my tastes.

And in the same respect, I don't mind distortion or any other effect if it's used "in moderation". If every song by an artist had delay or distortion or heavy reverb, I wouldn't think twice about turning it off.

It's all a matter of opinion, and I respect yours. We just may not hold the same one.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeHomelessGuy View Post
              > good interview, go to save
              i'm having problems trying to save it. can you help me out?
              [QUOTE=gtrplyr7;176776]I'll never stop looking for new music but I find the older I get, the less new music appeals to me and the more I end up going back to older stuff. I think everyone has that decade of music that they could really relate to. For me, it was the 90s...[/QUOTE]
              [QUOTE=Gnomad;176814]I don't look for new or old music. I kind of just let it find me. I prefer it that way. I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to like certain things. It's all about being in the right setting and mood when you first hear it.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by vsd View Post
                i'm having problems trying to save it. can you help me out?
                Download this. I'm downloading the video now so it seems to be working quite well so far.

Comment

Kanye doesn't use Autotune to hide anything; he uses it as an effect to attain a certain sound, just like Maynard and Scott Weiland sang through megaphones for certain tracks and Anthony Green utilized compression (I believe that's what was used, anyway) on a few select tracks of their recent record (most notably one of my favorites, "The Longest Mile.") But I can understand that anyone who might dislike autotune would be fucking miserable sitting through a recent Kanye record.
                  Originally posted by Gnomad
                  I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                  Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                  do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

i just don't like kanye because all his songs sound the same due to his autotune use and the way he raps/sings his lines. They always end up sounding like he uses the same pattern.
                    Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

all of his songs don't sound the same to me...i've listened to every single song he has haha i've gone through his discography

i think you guys will like this though, i sure did. and i know he means the mainstream, before people are like "welllzzz there are good hip hop artists out there" he does mention that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIV0ZlkJMTw

To be fair I was mainly talking about the mainstream hip hop. I understand there are many good underground hip hop artists who exist. However, since these artists are underground and most people DO NOT know about them and their songs are unheard of by most; they don't represent the majority of hip hop and they aren't able to help hip hop's lost cause.
                      Last edited by Lara; May 16, 2011, 06:30 AM.
                      last.fm

Comment

1) Every argument this guy makes could be applied to every other genre of music.

2) Some popular hip hop artists today: Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West, Lil Wayne. All three of these artists have completely different approaches and tackle completely different subjects.

That guy just enjoys his own opinion a little too much. Without the generalities he relies on to make his points, his argument is left with very little else.
                        Originally posted by Gnomad
                        I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                        Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                        do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

It's all a matter of opinion, and I respect yours. We just may not hold the same one.

Yes, I'm fine with that.
                          But keep in mind you started out with calling Kanye lazy for using autotune, and I just had to point out you were talking out your ass :P

Comment

Ok, if I may reiterate what I should have said...I get the impression of laziness when autotune is used so primarily in one's musical productions. It was all my opinion in the first place, the feeling that I get. Like it has been noted so many times on this forum, I wasn't there so I don't know for sure it was laziness, but it feels like it was to me.

Better?

Comment

He didn't do it for laziness though. He did for one specific album to make a point about the album itself.

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
                              1) Every argument this guy makes could be applied to every other genre of music.

2) Some popular hip hop artists today: Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West, Lil Wayne. All three of these artists have completely different approaches and tackle completely different subjects.

That guy just enjoys his own opinion a little too much. Without the generalities he relies on to make his points, his argument is left with very little else.
                              He's still right about what he said though. And he doesn't mean literally every mainstream rap artist out there. I know those three you mentioned aren't like that.

And I can't think of other genres that do specifically what he's saying. Country? Alternative? Indie? Electronica? Taking children's rhymes, doing covers, lyrics about those specific things that he mentioned? I mean he gave examples - "if you ain't got no money take yo broke ass home" - that's not something you'd hear in a Britney spears or Katy Perry song.
                              last.fm

Comment

I'm pretty sure Katy Perry says something similar on her first CD. Or at least I could see her saying it.
                                Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                                Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Working...
                                X