Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

have dredg lyrics gotten lamer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: have dredg lyrics gotten lamer?

Originally posted by fuckyeahfinnegan View Post
    would have much preferred those lyrics over

"just a little bit. just a little bit. a little more information!"
    Aye.

Comment

while i'm not going to say you're wrong for your opinion...it's a strange subject for me.

the lyrics make sense to me. they may be simpler, but the subject matter is sort of simpler. it's not about the interpretations of art and sleep paralysis...so it doesn't need flowery artsy lyrics. it's just a lot more straight forward, and to me that's not a bad thing.
      Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
      you're pretty narcissistic
      enjoy that, nobody else does.
      Originally posted by Madklikor
      You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

Originally posted by lmerr View Post
        No, I think the lyrics on Of the Room are horrible. Especially the chorus.

"Night falls beneath candle light,
        White squalls beneath winter skies,"

Just cheesy. Reminds me of that scene from Wedding Crashers when the chick is laughing at her sisters wedding vows.
        completely disagree. of the room is supposed to be overly descriptive to paint a picture. if that was in any other song, then i could give you some leeway.

as for the lyrics, yeah, they're getting a bit, well, gay. the meaning, im cool with, but sometimes meaning and the words used dont work. actually a lot of the time.

oh and CWOA is the biggest victim for bad lyrics. mastroska probably takes the cake for that album or spitshine.
        Last edited by prophetstyle; April 1, 2009, 04:53 PM.
        Facebookem, Danno | Twitter me this...

Comment

Originally posted by feeblefables
          Just because you're not doing drugs anymore doesn't mean you shouldn't still pay careful attention to your craft.
          That's true, but drugs very often bring out abstract ideas (which is what Dredg was pretty good at earlier in their career). Is it a coincidence that they wrote El Cielo while getting high in the desert and it's more creative and a fan favorite over CWA and most of what we've heard from the upcoming release? No. I'm not saying drugs are the only way to find creative energy, but in this case... well, it seems pretty clear. Either way, the melodies are the true standout in Dredg so it doesn't matter to me.

Comment

Interesting how some of the lyrics that I really like (like Matroshka and now that "babies are born" one) are lazy and lame for other people.
            I agree with Ooga about drugs, I was thinking the same some time ago. As I always explained to myself the obsession I had with El Cielo with that. I haven't tried drygs, but I guess that's the feeling you would get from some of them. I know other people that put more creativity into their work (even science) when they do drugs. But if that change of lyrics is the price, I am paying it.
            I am sure they still pay attention, it's just different. People change as well as their point of vies, priorities, etc. I like Ireland lyrics a lot, give me explanation and helped me understand and accept some people I know. "Information" has some nice one too.
            But in general, I agree with you.
            Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

his lyrics have never really been that great. but he has definitely changed the way he writes. i guess more direct is the way to explain it. maybe even dumbing it down. but yea.

Comment

Originally posted by prophetstyle View Post
                as for the lyrics, yeah, they're getting a bit, well, gay. the meaning, im cool with, but sometimes meaning and the words used dont work. actually a lot of the time.
                how does "allow me to be your sponge. i can absorb your sorrows. i'm the one." not work with the meaning of the song?

i'm not debating whether these lyrics are good or not...but they're pretty damn straight forward and work with the over all meaning of the song.

Comment

Originally posted by sangreal314 View Post
                  his lyrics have never really been that great. but he has definitely changed the way he writes. i guess more direct is the way to explain it. maybe even dumbing it down. but yea.
                  Which is why I'm having such a hard time with the new stuff. I like to be challenged by music, I don't like it served on a plate.

Comment

evasivetear, this are my thoughts about the lyrics too. They make sence
                    And I don't agree that the lyrics haven't been that great. Gavin's voice + the lyrics/story is what turned my into dredg instantly. And I am coming with the long history of being a huge Queensryche fan, so tell me about the lyrics.

And I am with Ooga that drugs helps abstract thinking which suits great for El Cielo and makes it so much deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by evasivetear View Post
                      how does "allow me to be your sponge. i can absorb your sorrows. i'm the one." not work with the meaning of the song?

i'm not debating whether these lyrics are good or not...but they're pretty damn straight forward and work with the over all meaning of the song.
                      my bad, im guilty of doing this often and not being specific enough. i mean just when writing lyrics in general for anyone or artist(s). but what i was getting at is that sometimes what you want to say doesnt sound pleasing to hear but it will go the meaning dead on. i feel that way about this line of lyrics.
                      Facebookem, Danno | Twitter me this...

Comment

I agree they are much more "served on a plate" than before. But I still find lots of interesting stuff in them. I miss the great analogies and stuff from before, but as I said if that's the price of not getting high, etc., I rather have these more simple lines.
                        And I like CWA lyrics, Sang real and Jamais Vu and other are full of great ideas.

Comment

i think gavin or someone in the band is a big second guesser. they are always changing the songs. i don't know if they did with leitmotif or el cielo, but the last 2 albums some of the songs went through so many changes. and most times i have found that i liked it more before they changed it.

Comment

i think gavin or someone in the band is a big second guesser. they are always changing the songs. i don't know if they did with leitmotif or el cielo, but the last 2 albums some of the songs went through so many changes. and most times i have found that i liked it more before they changed it.
                            They probably try too hard to trim the fat. I like fat. That's where the flavour is.

Comment

Originally posted by FeebleFables View Post
                              They probably try too hard to trim the fat. I like fat. That's where the flavour is.
                              exactly. or maybe they are just over cooking the songs.

Comment

i think he may have always been like that, to an extent.

for running through propellars...the industry demo has a lot added to it that they didn't always play live. there was one recording i remember listening to where gavin said something about that song in that 'we're going to play it the way we originally wrote it...cause its' better' (paraphrased). but i mean, convalescent, that went through some changes as well i think? maybe i'm thinking of scissor lock? not sure...but...yes...second guessing could very well be a factor

Originally posted by prophetstyle View Post
                                my bad, im guilty of doing this often and not being specific enough. i mean just when writing lyrics in general for anyone or artist(s). but what i was getting at is that sometimes what you want to say doesnt sound pleasing to hear but it will go the meaning dead on. i feel that way about this line of lyrics.
                                no problem. that cleared up what you were saying just fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X