Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

download SAVIOUR here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: download SAVIOUR here

Actually, I recently got into Brand New. I hated them when I heard them years ago, but a couple of months ago they just clicked. Pretty kick ass band.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
      I bolded these two statements for a reason.

First of all, the band that wrote "Triangle" also wrong "Savior." Obviously they have a good ear if they wrote the first song, so your argument here makes no sense because they clearly thought "Savior" was a good song too.
      Sometimes when you're so close to a song, you can fail to see it from the audience's point of view. I'm not saying they have bad ears for music, obviously, but they may be disregarding what some fans wants to hear (either intentionally or unintentionally.)

Second of all - what the hell is this movement in music criticism where there is such a thing as an objectively "good" and "bad" song? There is no reason to ever expect that everyone will feel the same way you feel about ANYTHING in life, let alone something so personal as whether or not a song is good. So no, you can't make a generalized statement like "anyone with a good ear can hear if it's a good song or not." Your opinion of this song does not derive from a refined or unrefined taste - it's simply your opinion, like everyone else's.
      You obviously fail to realize that any statement I make is merely my opinion. I'm sorry I didn't preface each sentence with a disclaimer. I thought it was pretty self-explanatory.
      We gotta break down these barricades, everyone has AIDS!

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
        Truer words have never been spoken. Here's to hoping the 4th is even better!
        This should be a pretty clear indicator that your hopes will be met, Ars.

Comment

Originally posted by siperwrx View Post
          Sometimes when you're so close to a song, you can fail to see it from the audience's point of view. I'm not saying they have bad ears for music, obviously, but they may be disregarding what some fans wants to hear (either intentionally or unintentionally.)
          They are writing music that they want to write. They are not obligated to please all of their fans.
          - -- --- ----

Comment

Originally posted by mindbender View Post
            I agree, I don't care about whether dredg progressed or not, we can't say they don't know what they are doing or argue about their talent neither.

After Leitmotif and El Cielo, they might have gone into a different direction. The other songs and the records were also good not as much as the first 2 in my opinion.

I would like to listen songs like I stated and I know dredg only can make that kind of songs
            so as a listener, it is my right to hope to have some songs like that from them.
            They introduced those songs to us not some other band, it's normal to have an expectation.
            It's not arguing what progression they made or whatsoever

So, IMHO saviour FAILS.
            i'm not writing these to flame, i just write this because there's a slight chance that they could read.
            Besides, Deftones failed once or twice, why not dredg.
            not to be rude, but i doubt they will read what you wrote, but i guarantee they have heard your opinion before and they don't care.

Frank Nit added 61 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

you know, thinking about it, one way to describe some of dredg's newer stuff is "less serious." i don't think they had written a song that was light hearted until catch without arms. i'm having trouble putting this into words, but songs like the title track, zebra skin, saviour, etc. i think in the recent history of the band they have discovered another side to their art, that being a humorous, sort of tongue-in-cheek style of music. that's not to say those are joke songs, but they've admitted in the past that they definitely don't take themselves as seriously as they used to. they've always been a band that gets bored easily so i think adding songs to their catalog that are more fun to perform was a natural progression for them.
            Originally posted by vsd
            ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

well put, frank nit.
              words always ebbing, never flowing

Comment

I'm not incredibly blown away by it, but I'm not going to judge it too harshly until I hear it in the context of the album.

Comment

yeah, the context seems way more important this time around. the song may be a nice change of pace where it is tracked in the album.
                  words always ebbing, never flowing

Comment

Peoples idea of progression differs. Hitler thought killing all the Jews was progression. DaVinci didn't paint Mona Lisa pt.2 he created DIFFERENT and equally wonderful art. Some people say his other art doesnt live up to that painting, and 8 out of 10 people cant even name anything else he did.

When first listening to dredg's el cielo I had a vision in my head of the type of people they were. Really artsy and weird guys... and maybe they were at that time in their lives. Maybe they were forcing it. I met them about 6 months before CWOA came out and the vision I had of them was shattered. They are normal guys, not weird, not "artsy".

Some people here need to get it out of their heads that these guys are GODS that wrote the "perfect" album. They are average guys, with creative minds. Creative minds dont stand still.

Comment

Now that we've proven Godwin's Law.... can we move on? Seriously... this discussion is going nowhere.
                      Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                      Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

spedanden, very well said! I loved reading your post! Thank you.
                        Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

Very well said? He brought up Hitler for the hell of it. His analogy doesn't even make sense.
                          Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                          Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Very well said? He brought up Hitler for the hell of it. His analogy doesn't even make sense.
                            DaVinci analogy was nice and I like it. It was completely relevant.
                            With Hitler it was in a bit of a different angle, but still poiting how subjective the definition of "progression" can be. Which is also relevant.
                            That's what I called well said.
                            And if you notice, I am out of this discussion already because it definitelly not going anywhere.
                            Last edited by InfraredDream; March 24, 2009, 05:28 AM.
                            Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

Actually there was no intent of direct analogy. I dont have an opinion of Hitler. The guy had his own mind, and his idea of progression, and he went with it. Normal guy given power, and control, by his people. What he did with it, some agreed some didnt. He did'nt give a shit.

Some of you guys build up dredg like they control you and your happiness. They dont give a shit about writing things that are going to make you happy. I would hope they write to make themselves happy...and some will hate it, some will love it. Theres your analogy.

You guys that dont like the new music? Stop posting here... go sit in a coffee shop, read some poetry and listen to el cielo you fucking geeks.

I'm here for the leak, cause I think the new shit is awesome.

Comment

well...to be fair...drew has a hitler-esque mustache.

Comment

Working...
                                X