Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion

Originally posted by Eagle Morph View Post
    My extraordinarily long review/analysis of the album is located here.

Hand Drawn Clipart and Original Drawings. Let's Be Creative Together.

Read if you wish. Pass over if you wish.
    Awesome review, great joB!

Comment

A reviewer at Absolute Punk said it might be album of the year, so hopefully they'll be getting a good review from them.

Comment

Where has Pariah, Parrot, Pirate leaked?

Well now there is leaflet 15 on their page.
        The O.C. Project
        http://lolo-extreme.myblog.de/
        Right? hoeh'?

Comment

Nice review, Eagle Morph! I was finally able to read it.
          Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

i really love the "big" songs (pariah, ireland, information, savior, i don't know), pebbles is growing on me, mourning weakest imho, still can't decide about quotes... this is either brilliant or total cheese... need more listens.

but still, i think the more quiet, slower songs are really way better than their equivalents on cwa (zebraskin, sang real, planting seeds, matroshka), so altogether... maybe i love this album way more than i give it credit right now. time will tell, as i'm still worried about the half-life of the songs.

Comment

Let it grow.

Organic, it is.
              The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by fiKnight View Post
                Let it grow.

Organic, it is.
                True words you speak. Lend it all of our ears and brain we must.
                I can see a washed out moon through the fog.

Comment

This album is what i dreaded it to be. I'm kinda disappointed. I find the songwriting bland, the lyrics corny and the melodies are often pure "kitsch".

For me, the downward spriral that started with CWA progressed. El Cielo was and now definitely will be their undisputed milestone.

Comment

This album rivals with El Cielo. There is so much detail in it, it's amazing.
                    http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
                    seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

I agree. I said that after I first heard it, and the more I listen the better it gets.
                      We’re getting older, older, older

Comment

Originally posted by Persei 8 View Post
                        This album is what i dreaded it to be. I'm kinda disappointed. I find the songwriting bland, the lyrics corny and the melodies are often pure "kitsch".

For me, the downward spriral that started with CWA progressed. El Cielo was and now definitely will be their undisputed milestone.
                        wait, so you actually like CWA more than the new one?

you would be the first i've heard say that.
                        Originally posted by vsd
                        ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Originally posted by IKnockStuffDown View Post
                          This album rivals with El Cielo. There is so much detail in it, it's amazing.
                          I wouldnt go that far... i think its their second best effort by far.

See the thing is is that i accept they wont do another el cielo. No one will, that was an album that was out of this fucking world. And i accept that if they are going to do something even close to el cielo... they would have to do something different. And they did. Im not saying they equaled el cielo's awesomeness. But they definatily created a whole new direction that is unbelievable.

Honestly this album is everything i wanted in an album. Just total groove where everyone shines in different particular ways. I hear alot of people talk about cohesiveness, but whos to say that the lyrics in some of the songs that you think arent similar, are. Theres all kinds of info coming up on some titles and lyrics.

I think they all had such an awesome time making this album, like they did el cielo. Thats why it came out the way it did.
                          Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

long review:

The album teeters on perfection when it comes to what the band is about; progression and change. From beginning to end, the album flows just like a dredg album is supposed to despite a few kinks. Highlights for me have to be the instrumentals, particularly Drunk Slide, which reminds me of Movement I: @45°N, 180°W. The Stamps Of Origin are a nice touch and fit especially well with Saviour, which sounds better for some reason when listening to Ocean Meets Bay first. I personally LOVE Lightswitch. The opening western-walk reminds me of Murder by Death and give a grit that dredg isn't necessarily known for. To see the band step out of their comfort zone and perform some risks is what I was looking for in this album. So I'm very happy with this song. Gathering Pebbles took some time to enjoy due to the fact that it sounds like a mediocre Kaddisfly song, but the more I listen, the more I like it. Information wins as a perfect song to introduce someone to dredg. I Don't Know sounds better on the record than any live version I've heard. I know I'm insane for saying that, but listening to this with headphones on really converted me. Mourning This Morning...hmm, it's like a said with Lightswitch; they took a risk and made a song that was "groovy" and danceworthy. It's a bigger song than anyone is willing to give it credit for. I agree with most with Long Days And Vague Clues kind of forced into the album. But it's such a badass song. Cartoon Showroom reminded me of Matroshka at first (which is a very bad thing) but after a few more listens, I was sold. There's so much going on in this song that it would be a real treat to see them place this live. Quotes is the closest this record comes to El Cielo, which kind of a good thing for those who seem to have this conservative notion on what dredg should be (El Cielo 2, Leitmotif 2, etc). It's become my favorite song off the album though and I can't wait to hear this on vinyl. It's such an epic song and I'm glad it made the record. And the Cellar/Horizon combo is the perfect ending to this masterpiece.

So yeah, dredg did it again. This is what the band is now and always have been. You can sense the comfort and fluidity that band exudes throughout this record. Nothing is forced and nothing is half-assed. While this is yet to be the BEST ALBUM OF 2009...it's getting there for me. The new Jeremy Enigk, St. Vincent, Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective, and Andrew Bird are all topping my charts right now and the new One AM Radio, Album Leaf, Far and Mars Volta records are coming out this year. So we'll see.

short review:

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
                              wait, so you actually like CWA more than the new one? you would be the first i've heard say that.
                              So far, yes.
                              While El Cielo was art, PPD seems to have an affected feel to it.

Comment

Album of the year unless Mew can beat perfection.

Comment

Working...
                                X