Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Coachella 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coachella 2012

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
    I thought Coachella was your thing, Kata. Or are those just your complaints?
    Truth is I've never been to Coachella but that's what I hear every year my friends come back from the fest. It sounds like Bonnaroo with less pleasant people. Which sucks because this line-up is actually really impressive. I don't know, SXSW and Treasure Island Music Fest are more my speed. More intimate, more time to enjoy music.

Comment

^totally disagree with everyones negative thoughts, albeit not completely negative. In the past 5 years i've been to three fests and i actually got tickets to this years coachella. The people outside of california are WAY nicer but thats always been known. I went to Coachella in 2007, and Bonnaroo in 2009 and 2010 and i'll tell you its one of the best experiences one can experience. Are festivals for everyone? Hell no, but i totally disagree that its more about the party than the music. I can't tell you how many bands i've been so happy to discover because of festivals. By the time im 60 i hope to god i've been to at least 10 different festivals.
      Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Originally posted by Sittingsideways View Post
        The people outside of california are WAY nicer but thats always been known.
        I tend to disagree with that, especially lately. I work with mostly people from outside California, and they all say that CA has the nicest people in the world.

Comment

I tend to disagree with that, especially lately. I work with mostly people from outside California, and they all say that CA has the nicest people in the world.
          I always find the kindness on the west coast extremely shallow, honestly. There is some faux-altruistic ego that seems to pervade a lot of people my age out there.
          I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
          I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
          A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
          To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

...i totally disagree that its more about the party than the music. I can't tell you how many bands i've been so happy to discover because of festivals. By the time im 60 i hope to god i've been to at least 10 different festivals.

I wasn't implying that you can't hear and enjoy good music at festivals. I was referring more to the atmosphere and mindset of the people there. There are certainly exceptions to the rule, too. Seattle's Bumbershoot is a fine example of a festival that maximizes the celebration of art and music rather than beer and mushrooms. The location of the event has a lot to do with the atmosphere. Bumbershoot is in the middle of downtown Seattle. It has a totally different feel from say Sasquatch where people camp out and party all weekend without showering.
            Originally posted by vsd
            ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
              I wasn't implying that you can't hear and enjoy good music at festivals. I was referring more to the atmosphere and mindset of the people there. There are certainly exceptions to the rule, too. Seattle's Bumbershoot is a fine example of a festival that maximizes the celebration of art and music rather than beer and mushrooms. The location of the event has a lot to do with the atmosphere. Bumbershoot is in the middle of downtown Seattle. It has a totally different feel from say Sasquatch where people camp out and party all weekend without showering.
              Bumbershoot is one of my personal favorites. It's extremely organized, clean, tons of amazing performers, and always a good time. Plus on a press stand point, you're treated like royalty.

Comment

Have you ever been outside of california? Specially the south... its not even fucking close man. Not even close.
                ---
                yeah thats true about the whole "beer and mushroom" thing.

Bottom line is the festival will be what you want it to be... if you want a beer and mushrooms thing... you can have it. If you want to focus only on music and maybe have a few brews at night and "eat corn" all day long... then festivals are for your.

Comment

I told people at work the other day: "People in the South are some of the nicest people anywhere. As long as you're white"
                  Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                  Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
                    I told people at work the other day: "People in the South are some of the nicest people anywhere. As long as you're white"
                    Hahaha, 1973 called. It wants its joke back. There are certainly racist people in the south, but the same holds true to the entire world, even Tibet. I heard plenty of racist First Nations jokes in Canada. Joe Arapaio is your neighbor. Blacks v. Latinos. Racism is EVERYWHERE.
                    ---
                    For the record, I know a lot of cool people from out west. I just think the sort of transient hip culture attracts a high number of shallow people. Those festivals are like proving grounds for those people. The best festival I ever got to go to was the free Voodoo Fest for Katrina volunteers. It was a lot smaller, but QOTSA and NIN played. Some bigtime electronic artist played, too. Maybe Tiesto. We were leaving.
                    I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                    I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                    A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                    To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Have you ever been outside of california? Specially the south... its not even fucking close man. Not even close.
                      Missed this. I've been to Texas. Met some nice people, but I don't know what it was, most people there just didn't seem to care for the fact that I was from California. It'd be nice and cordial, and as soon as they asked where I was from, the mood would change. They just don't seem very hospitable to non-Texans. That could just be Texas.
                      ---
                      Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
                      For the record, I know a lot of cool people from out west. I just think the sort of transient hip culture attracts a high number of shallow people. Those festivals are like proving grounds for those people. The best festival I ever got to go to was the free Voodoo Fest for Katrina volunteers. It was a lot smaller, but QOTSA and NIN played. Some bigtime electronic artist played, too. Maybe Tiesto. We were leaving.
                      That's a good point.

And I laughed my ass off with your last line. I don't know why, just cracked me up.

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
                        Hahaha, 1973 called. It wants its joke back. There are certainly racist people in the south, but the same holds true to the entire world, even Tibet. I heard plenty of racist First Nations jokes in Canada. Joe Arapaio is your neighbor. Blacks v. Latinos. Racism is EVERYWHERE.
                        ---
                        I know racism is everywhere, but having lived 21 years in GA, racism is hidden, but rampant. Where as in the past people would yell their racist thoughts out on Main St, they know just avoid the people or offer backhanded compliments (see Newt Gingrich).

Also, Gnomad, Texas may be geographically south, but it's not a Southern state

Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

... I can't tell if that's a joke or I'm ignorant about something.

Comment

Well, there's the Southern US, and then there's "The South". "The South" is really just North Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Kentucky and Virginia (though there are a few disagreements on some of these places, like I don't generally include Virginia)

Comment

Huh. Well then I've never been to the "south". Texas just sucks, then.

Comment

yeah, i had this same argument with someone on the coachella boards actually. He mentioned Texas and i told him that Texas isn't a southern state... maybe east texas.

I also know plenty of cool people from california, i was born and raised here. But whats unique about the south is the one on one conversations you have with people. The general comfort you feel there with other people around. Southern hospitality is a real thing.

Anyways... im pretty stoked to go to coachella this year. Im finding all kinds of hidden gems. Tune Yards, The Dear Hunter, le butcherettes... all very tasty.

Comment

Working...
                                X