Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Pearl Jam - Backspacer (9/20/09)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pearl Jam - Backspacer (9/20/09)

I completely agree with you as far as your grunge scaling goes. But at this point I don't even consider Pearl Jam to be grunge anymore. This new album is in fact a lot dreamier. Softer. Which was kind of weird at first, but I enjoy. You might check it out anyways, but of course, you don't have to. Haha.
    DeviantArt Facebook

Comment

"Just Breathe" is sooooo fucking amazing. One of the most beautiful PJ songs ever.
      last.fm

Comment

Backspacer has some very inspired songs and being a big Pearl Jam fan I can't help but loving this album, although it's my personal opinion that Brendan O'Brian's production ruined some of the original sound they hade in the demo version, making them somehow sound too smooth.
        Anyway they still kick ass live, they're definitely the most amazing band I've ever seen live. And I love Mc Cready as a guitar player, a great musician and a great entertainer!

Comment

i love pearl jam and i like the album, but it's not even close to being as good as yield. i feel pretty much the same way about this album as i have about the 2 before it. good, with a few great songs, but not near as good as their older albums.

Comment

If I should rank the albums:

Vs.
            Ten
            Vitalogy
            Yield/Backspacer (I think they're equally great albums and both are their most straight forward releases)
            No Code
            Pearl Jam
            Riot Act
            Binaural

That said, I don't dislike any of the albums. Some are just stronger.
            Last edited by theis; September 23, 2009, 05:00 PM.
            last.fm

Comment

I always go mad trying to make my own charts, so I won't even try, but Vitalogy is my favourite album ever!
              Anyway it's nice to find some PJ fans here and see you don't wear blinkers :-)

Comment

Originally posted by theis View Post
                If I should rank the albums:

Vs.
                Ten
                Vitalogy
                Yield/Backspacer (I think they're equally great albums and both are their most straight forward releases)
                No Code
                Pearl Jam
                Riot Act
                Binaural

That said, I don't dislike any of the albums. Some are just stronger.
                all the albums are good and they are all so different it's impossible to rank them. i tend to put the 3 at the top for nostalgic reasons, but no code and yield are probably the best they have ever done. i also love binaural. i feel like all of those are classic albums. i don't feel like the last 3 albums are. i don't think i will still be listening to them in 10 years like i do the other albums.

Comment

Originally posted by sangreal314 View Post
                  all the albums are good and they are all so different it's impossible to rank them. i tend to put the 3 at the top for nostalgic reasons, but no code and yield are probably the best they have ever done. i also love binaural. i feel like all of those are classic albums. i don't feel like the last 3 albums are. i don't think i will still be listening to them in 10 years like i do the other albums.
                  I think Riot Act is a modest underrated album, it should be given a chance. No need to look for a hit song. It becomes more beautiful in every listen. I don't like to rate PJ albums, but if I'd do it, Riot Act would presumably be in my top 5.

Originally posted by Valentina View Post
                  I always go mad trying to make my own charts, so I won't even try, but Vitalogy is my favourite album ever!
                  Anyway it's nice to find some PJ fans here and see you don't wear blinkers :-)
                  Yeah, same here! Great to see some dredg fans who are also PJ fans.
                  Your head was in the clouds,
                  now those clouds are in your head...

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
                    I just think he's a douche. Where is he standing up to Obama? Where is he standing up to our impending loss of freedom? Oh, he only cares if a Republican is taking away our freedoms. As for high Ticketmaster prices, I don't see Pearl Jam offering $10 tickets. His problem with Ticketmaster is that it cuts into their own profits. There are ways around using Ticketmaster, especially for a band as popular as Pearl Jam.

Anyone can stand up for important issues when given a microphone and an audience of a thousand sheep. Political commentary does not equal social action. And I'm not that hard on all people with opinions. Tom Morello is a huge social activist, but he doesn't come across like a total douche wanker. Eddie Vedder does.
                    in all fairness, the ticketmaster thing happened 15 years ago when there were no other options. and really when you're as huge as pearl jam, you want to play large venues to appease your fans, and you'll find that most of the large venues in america have exclusive deals with ticketmaster. and no, ticketmaster does not cut into any band's profits. they collect no part of advertised ticket prices, and the service charges certainly aren't keeping pearl jam shows from selling out venues.

and give him some time on the obama thing. it's only been 8 months since he was inaugurated and he was a loud supporter of his campaign. the public obama backlash is only just beginning.
                    Originally posted by vsd
                    ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
                      and no, ticketmaster does not cut into any band's profits. they collect no part of advertised ticket prices, and the service charges certainly aren't keeping pearl jam shows from selling out venues.
                      Yes and no. It does not cut into their profits directly, but those fees have to be considered when coming up with pricing. Without Ticketmaster, the total ticket prices probably wouldn't go down much. They'd just direct the money back to the band. That's really not the point. I'm just not going to give that to him as a noble cause, because I really don't feel it's very noble, especially when you consider the things that Radiohead and Trent Reznor have done for music sharing. Mind you, none of Trent's free albums have been spectacular, but that's his effort he's just giving away. Pearl Jam, on the other hand, continue to live the mainstream lifestyle supported by the corrupt labels.
                      I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                      I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                      A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                      To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

i wouldnt say this album sucks... but its very very boring. Its like at times they tried to rock and it was average. And then at times it seemed like they were trying to re-create the Into the Wild soundtrack and it didnt work.

Did Vedders voice seem EXTRA cracky on this album?
                        Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

sorry, out of idle what does cracky mean?

Comment

cracky... like carries somewhat of a tune, and then his voice falters very quickly and then continues with the note.
                            Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Working...
                            X