Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Cigarette Prices in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cigarette Prices in US

Originally posted by drummerjs View Post
    i agree with frank in that it should be up to the owners of the establishment. I think that the owners should decide, because it is their place, they could always segregate smokers and nonsmokers.
    True.

But I think it's too late for that at this point.

how would you feel if coffee started being taxed relentlessly? music? food? this isnt a question of whether or not it is bad for you, because everyone and their mother knows it is. this is about special taxes on items that only certain people buy. some states have taxes on video game sales...how do you feel about that? you guys would complain about gas prices rising, so why do you think its ok to tax cigarettes so highly?
    I think it's safe to say that cigarettes affect others, so comparing the issue to taxes on coffee, video games and other things doesn't hold much water. But to answer your question: I'm sure everyone would dislike taxes on those things.

Comment

My video game or coffee addiction can't contribute to your health issues. Your smoking addiction can contribute to my health issues.
      Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
      Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

well, its not like anything is going to change based on what we say on this board. you guys have valid points about smoking hurting others, but that is the reason for the bans on public smoking, not the taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ooga View Post
          I think it's safe to say that cigarettes affect others, so comparing the issue to taxes on coffee, video games and other things doesn't hold much water. But to answer your question: I'm sure everyone would dislike taxes on those things.
          So what about chewing tobacco? Chewing tobacco is being taxed too and that has no affect on others.

I'm sure every drinker on this board would be upset if as alcohol got a 20% tax slapped on it, but everyone who doesn't drink wouldn't care. Just like everyone who smokes is pretty pissed about the tax, and everyone who doesn't smoke doesn't really care, or only care because they hate taxes in general.

and I completely agree with redmosqui

IKnockStuffDown added 1 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

Originally posted by drummerjs View Post
          you guys have valid points about smoking hurting others, but that is the reason for the bans on public smoking, not the taxes.
          Exactly, and you know the government and tobacco companies will both profit from this. Tobacco companies get taxed 10%? Lets raise the price per pack 15% then.
          http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
          seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

America sucks because of the lack of this:

Comment

we have chew pouches

Comment

You don't chew this. This is better.

SimpatiK added 2 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

I'll let wikipedia explain:

Snus (IPA: /snuːs/) is a moist powder tobacco product that is consumed by placing it under the lip for extended periods of time. It is a form of snuff that is used in a manner similar to American dipping tobacco, but typically does not result in the need for spitting. Snus is also unique in that it is steam-cured rather than fire-cured, is not fermented and contains no added sugar. The sale of snus is illegal in the European Union[1][2], but due to exemptions, it is still manufactured and consumed primarily in Sweden and Norway.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus

Comment

We have Snus.

Comment

ORLY? Use it.

Cigarettes are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by IKnockStuffDown View Post
                      So what about chewing tobacco? Chewing tobacco is being taxed too and that has no affect on others.
                      Actually, I'm sure several would disagree with you.

It may not affect the health of others, but it does affect others.

Comment

If you put it that way, then video games, coffee, even chewing gum affects others too.
                        Last edited by IKnockStuffDown; April 1, 2009, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IKnockStuffDown View Post
                          If you put it that way, then video games, coffee, even chewing gum affects others too then.
                          Yea, just today, some kid came out of a coffee shop all wired from 20 cups, and couldn't control himself as he was playing his PSP and he stepped in a piece of gum someone had thrown down...needless to say his caffine high led to bad judgment and he punched me simply because I WAS chewing gum; he associated the gum on the ground with me.

They should just ban gum outdoors and in public areas, I'm sick of people punching me when they step in someone elses gum. On top of that, what about all those people who clean up these areas, I mean do you think when they took that job they said "I want to scrap off gum!", forget that, ban it I say....

Everything affects others, directly or indirectly...
                          Last edited by redmosqui; April 1, 2009, 07:15 PM.
                          - Jon

----------------------------------------
                          Originally posted by gderd
                          dredg is the music I always searched for, the music that keeps in your mind the whole time, the music you remember when you're doing everything, it's the different music. the heart music

Comment

The nice thing about gum is that it eventually becomes a part of the urban nature. Kinda like bird crap.

Comment

Originally posted by SimpatiK View Post
                              The nice thing about gum is that it eventually becomes a part of the urban nature. Kinda like bird crap.
                              It's kinda like art then, interesting....I wonder if there are many cig butt art pieces out there...Hmmmm.
                              - Jon

Originally posted by gderd
                              dredg is the music I always searched for, the music that keeps in your mind the whole time, the music you remember when you're doing everything, it's the different music. the heart music

Comment

Kinda like graffiti. I enjoy grafitti if it's done right. Not just douches tagging their "street name" on a random wall.

Comment

Working...
                                X