Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Cigarette Prices in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cigarette Prices in US

well I figured something changed..I've been paying $6.50 and I noticed it was up to $7.50ish..eh more of a reason to quit suppose

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
      In California, banning smoking in public facilities wasn't about customers, it was about the employees that had no choice but to be there.
      Yes they did, they had a choice, they CHOSE to work there...

Banning it everywhere inside except bars made sense to me, it's A BAR, I mean come ON.
      - Jon

----------------------------------------
      Originally posted by gderd
      dredg is the music I always searched for, the music that keeps in your mind the whole time, the music you remember when you're doing everything, it's the different music. the heart music

Comment

yeah i agree... banning in bars is dumb. But ciggs are fucken gross and i dont know why people enjoy smoking them. At least pot tastes good.
        Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Originally posted by drummerjs View Post
          Fucking ridiculous. They keep raising them. Here in SC, a carton has gone up from 25.99 to 41.99. What the fuck is up with that shit?
          I can't believe people are complaining about something like that.

Ooga added 4 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

Originally posted by redmosqui View Post
          Yes they did, they had a choice, they CHOSE to work there...
          Yeah.

People should jeopordize their family/etc. and quit their jobs so they can get away from smokers. I see smoking the same way libraries see talking at a normal or high level of volume.

Comment

I agree, it's dumb, but what happens when a 6-pack starts costing 15-20 instead of 6. Will taxing things like this still be dumb, and where do they stop. I mean, it's not good for you, smoking or drinking, so.
            - Jon

dredg is the music I always searched for, the music that keeps in your mind the whole time, the music you remember when you're doing everything, it's the different music. the heart music

Comment

"it's a bar." is that really a winnable argument? that's like saying because i have beer in my fridge then people should be able to smoke in my house.

personally, i think it comes down to the owner of the establishment. if you want smoking in your building, then you can have it. i think everybody would be happy if there were smoking and non smoking bars in the same town. as it is, i live in a state with no smoking at all indoors and it hasn't been an issue since the law passed. just that some people have to get up and go outside in between drinks. they don't give a fuck though because they're drunk. and i must say that shows have become a million times more enjoyable when the dude standing directly behind you isn't blowing smoke into the back of your head.

Frank Nit added 4 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

I agree, it's dumb, but what happens when a 6-pack starts costing 15-20 instead of 6. Will taxing things like this still be dumb, and where do they stop. I mean, it's not good for you, smoking or drinking, so.
              i'm not addicted to alcohol so i would probably not buy 6 packs anymore, save for the occasional celebration.

cigarettes are more addictive though, so i would say this tax is only slightly less fair. anything that promotes not being addicted to something is a good thing in my book though. so if i was a cigarette smoker i would a) start rolling my own AND b) start making it my first priority to quit altogether.
              Originally posted by vsd
              ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

I can get on board with that Frank, it SHOULD be up to the owner, my point was that it's like being mad that people are intoxicated at a bar, it's a BAR, before I ever set foot in one I expected to see beer, liquor, and smoke. Just seems like they go hand in hand. I've never been to a bar and had someone ask my friends to put out their cigarettes, why, it's a given...however, I have been at a restaurant and had that happen, and they did, because, it just isn't the same.

But like I said, I would accept that banning should be left up to the owners of the establishment. If they are losing business one way or the other they can determine what is more important. If you are a patron, then you too can decide...is it worth going or not going because of it.

I also agree with you about cig. being more addictive and it will HOPEFULLY force people to quit. But in the end, my point was just that, if they keep raising taxes on these things, where will it end, and how high will it go?
                - Jon

Comment

How is that even the same thing? You can't drink at work, and you never have been able to as far as I know. You can go to jail for public intoxication. Can you go to jail for blowing smoke in someone's face? Who knows if the victim is allergic or not. See how simple it is to compare the two? The only time drinking interferes with someone else is if its in a setting where it's allowed or an accident occurs. Sure, people get drunk and cause accidents, but people also cause accidents while talking on the phone, or burning themselves from ashes, or falling asleep, or being too high, or from total stupidity, but that's not the issue.

Comment

But in the end, my point was just that, if they keep raising taxes on these things, where will it end, and how high will it go?
                    i agree it comes at a rough time for most. seems like a terrible time to make such a large increase on something that so many people are basically chained to spending money on daily. i know how angry my dad is about it, but it's hard for me to get behind him when the thought of cutting down or quitting altogether doesn't seem to have ever crossed his mind.
                    Originally posted by vsd
                    ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

I wasn't making them the same, except that they are both BAD for you and are taxed to hell, now cigs MORE SO. I don't see how it's a weak argument, it's valid...completely, if they are going to continue to raise the tax on something like cigs, when do they start back on the beer, and then again, and again, until it's up to the price increase that cigs have seen recently. I'm not saying anything about the effects of it or how it is used, more so that people buy these things, and they are taxing it horridly, where does it stop, what is next? Would those who think this is dumb think so if something they bought all the time or even occasionally kept going up in price...like say, gas again, or milk, or what if your state decided the state sales tax was now 20%? Would you not feel kicked?

That was my point, regardless of what the tax is on, it's a TON, and a drastic increase, and it worries me that they can do this, and that something actually important could be next.
                      - Jon

Comment

It's the same thing they'll eventually do with marijuana. You tax it because you can.
                        Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                        Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

It seems like someone said they believe the cigarette tax has been enforced in order to push people into quitting. I agree with that, because it's a lot easier to get people to quit halfway on their own than to throw a national ban up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
                            It's the same thing they'll eventually do with marijuana. You tax it because you can.

QFT

Soon, doubtful....but someday, if there is money to be made....
                            - Jon

Comment

Isn't it a illegal to smoke outdoors in some city?

Comment

yeah, new york.

i agree with frank in that it should be up to the owners of the establishment. I think that the owners should decide, because it is their place, they could always segregate smokers and nonsmokers.

how would you feel if coffee started being taxed relentlessly? music? food? this isnt a question of whether or not it is bad for you, because everyone and their mother knows it is. this is about special taxes on items that only certain people buy. some states have taxes on video game sales...how do you feel about that? you guys would complain about gas prices rising, so why do you think its ok to tax cigarettes so highly?

drummerjs added 1 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

I wasn't making them the same, except that they are both BAD for you and are taxed to hell, now cigs MORE SO. I don't see how it's a weak argument, it's valid...completely, if they are going to continue to raise the tax on something like cigs, when do they start back on the beer, and then again, and again, until it's up to the price increase that cigs have seen recently. I'm not saying anything about the effects of it or how it is used, more so that people buy these things, and they are taxing it horridly, where does it stop, what is next? Would those who think this is dumb think so if something they bought all the time or even occasionally kept going up in price...like say, gas again, or milk, or what if your state decided the state sales tax was now 20%? Would you not feel kicked?

That was my point, regardless of what the tax is on, it's a TON, and a drastic increase, and it worries me that they can do this, and that something actually important could be next.
                                oh....

Comment

Working...
                                X