Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Fair To Midland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fair To Midland

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
    It had been a while since I've listened to Fables, but I just relistened to the first half or so of it, and I think I now know what I probably noticed as the difference that I identified as the growling. Maybe I'm wrong on this and as I listen to this one more I'll pick it up there as well, but it seems like there are less key/tone/pitch (whatever the hell it is) changes on each song than there were before. Fables made it sound like there were 4 or 5 different vocalists on each song. Here, for the most part, they seem to find a key/tone/pitch and stick to it.
    I hear you there. On Fables, Darroh almost took on distinct accents for different songs, and even different parts within the same song.

When I first bought the CD, I had no clue who FTM were, and I honestly thought "Vice/Versa" featured separate vocalists for the verse and chorus. I really would've liked to hear more of that crazed hick accent he pulled on tracks like that, the chorus of "Seafarer's Knot," and verses of "Walls of Jericho." He kinda does it in parts of "Coppertank," but Barresi digitized it so much that it just doesn't come across as smoothly.

The bottom line is that the production on Fables focused primarily on Darroh's incredible vocal talents, whereas A&A focuses more on the band as a whole, and arguably even lifts the guitar to the forefront.
    Last edited by Corroded Halo; July 15, 2011, 04:47 AM.

Comment

just checked out Pour the Coal to 'Er, good tune, especially the choir, but the mixing symptoms sound much like the rest of the album.
      Last edited by SoundscapeMN; July 24, 2011, 07:42 PM.
      allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if we’re listening to the same album…

He has a few new additions to his vocal range on this one:

Sing-growl – chorus of Amarillo
        Sing-rasp – bridge of Whiskey & Ritalin and end of chorus of Golden Parachutes
        Super-rasp – end of second chorus right before bridge of Musical Chairs

In addition to his common others:

Normal sing – Verses of Loophole etc.
        Falsetto – Pre-chorus of uh-oh and a lot of the backing vocals
        Bark – Rikki-Tikki-Tavi and intro/outro of Musical Chairs
        Super high head voice – chorus of Uh-oh
        Soft whisper sing – Greener Grass
        Forced-accent-sing – verses of Amarillo and Coppertank

He has improved as a vocalist, but I think I know what Ars is getting at, the notes he chooses seem to be a bit less playful on this album and a bit more anticipated and to the point.

Comment

Fair To Midland Session - July 2011 - Violitionist Sessions - Denton, Texas

Really cool acoustic performances.

I'm getting really stoked to see these guys on Friday.
          Originally posted by Gnomad
          I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
          Originally posted by auto-de-fe
          do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Darroh's vocals are UNREAL in those acoustic performances. Especially Amarillo.

Holy shit.
            last.fm

Comment

This might just be my album of the year...

Comment

Looks like it hit #64 on the Billboard top 200, good for them, they deserve it.

It's definitely on heavy rotation for me.

Comment

Seeing them for the first time tonight on the first date of the dredg tour. So excited!

Super God.
                  do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

These dudes were great on Friday night even though the venue was horrible. The setlist was concise and had a mix of Fables and Arrows. I think it went something like this:

Whiskey and Ritalin
                    Golden Parachutes
                    Tall Tales
                    Dance of the Manatee
                    Say When
                    Musical Chairs

I know there were one or two other songs but I don't remember exactly because I was definitely inebriated and gloriously happy. I was surprised they didn't play "Amarillo" or "Walls of Jericho."

Super God.

Comment

The guitar solo and lead in to it on Amarillo kills me every time.
                      Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                      Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
                        The guitar solo and lead in to it on Amarillo kills me every time.
                        Fuck yeah.

I always, always, air-guitar to that part.
                        last.fm

Comment

Could someone please send me Pour the Coal to 'Er? I will love you for several minutes.
                          I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                          I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                          A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                          To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Could someone just post a link to that song?

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
                              Could someone just post a link to that song?
                              That, too.
                              I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                              I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                              A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                              To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

urwelcomebros

Comment

Working...
                                X