Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Mars Volta - Amputechture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
    To me the peak of the Mars Volta's talent was "Take The Veil."  I really enjoyed a lot of "Frances," but each of the songs has something that I find annoying... even the last track ends so horribly.  This new record has great moments, but suffers from the same shit.
    I couldn't possibly agree more, even if I tried real hard

Comment

Originally posted by erikpemberton
      Final Cut bores me to tears.
      That album is amazing.

Comment

Whaaaaa??  Cassandra Gemini may be the best thing they've done.

Comment

Originally posted by noresolution
          Whaaaaa??  Cassandra Gemini may be the best thing they've done.
          noresolution, I've told you before, don't chug lighter fluid!

Comment

I haven't had a good listen through the CD yet, but I like Frances better. I don't have Deloused, so I can't comment there. But I really don't think Frances has any more "filler" than Amputechture. It's different filler, but filler none the less. On Frances they make sounds, while here they play guitar solos that just never seem to end. What was great about Frances is how there was always such enthusiasm coming out of the filler sections, and it just seems bleh on here.
            Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
            Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Miranda and Cassandra would be an incredible 10 minute song, but split with all the fucking filler, it's a 24 minute song with some really great high points and some really pointless drops...

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro
                I don't have Deloused, so I can't comment there.
                buy it...now...get up...and buy it...NOW!

Added after 4 minutes:

Originally posted by Gnomad
                Miranda and Cassandra would be an incredible 10 minute song, but split with all the fucking filler, it's a 24 minute song with some really great high points and some really pointless drops...
                In all honesty, I think this applies to any Mars Volta song over 10 mins.

Where as bands like Pink Floyd and Tool always seem to have a point in extending their songs when necessary, TMV have always come off as having no point in making their songs as long as they are

in other words, it doesn't really feel like their songs need to be as long as they are sometimes. It seems more like they just want to be able to say "hah, we have 4 12+ min songs on this album...get used to it!"

but, thats just another 2cents of mine thrown in the jar
                :?

Comment

I agree.  There really isn't one Tool song or Pink Floyd song that I can say feels like it drags.  I get lost in TMV though, and I want out.
                  I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                  Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                  do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

or Transatlantic..the free-jazz noodling can become too overly-indulgent for some people.

Kyle
                    allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
                        you're pretty narcissistic
                        enjoy that, nobody else does.
                        Originally posted by Madklikor
                        You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

geez, what asshole is gonna need that much paper, lol  :roll:  :lol:  :roll:  :lol:

Comment

I actually think the new Mars Volta is reallly good. I enjoy it everytime I listen to it. Deloused will probably always be my favorite but mainly because it was my first taste of Mars Volta. That seems to be the case with a lot of bands for me. I think El Cielo will no matter what always be my favorite dredg CD because it was my first dredg. And I can think of a lot of other bands where that is true. But I love Francis and Amputechure as well. And I like Amputechure all the way through...I havent found myself skipping over any "filler" stuff. There are some parts of Francis that I kind of struggle with, but that CD is great to me.

Comment

I don't think Cassandra really has any filler.  It's long as fuck but they're pretty much jamming the whole time and don't really stick with one idea for too long.  It stay interesting all the way through IMO.  The only real 'filler' on FTM would be:

between Cygnus and the Widow
                              End of the Widow
                              Beginning and end of Miranda, although I like how the noise at the end turns back into the jam from the end of Cygnus before it kicks you in the nuts with the beginning of Cassandra.

And then of course all the ringing/scraping sounds at the beginning of Frances the Mute (the song).  That's the only filler of their that really annoys me.  

Comment

Working...
                              X