Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Book recommendations..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obligatory Robert Jordan reference goes ___here___

Wheel of Time series.

End obligation.

Stephen King's new one, Cell, is really good. I probably enjoyed it more than some would due to the fact that I was standing right where the opening scene takes place in Boston not 2 days before I picked it up.

Neuromancer by William Gibson is pretty damn good. I had a hard time getting into his writing style at first. For a "normal" person like me who isn't high on his own amazing intellect (meaning, I don't have a snotty college professor attitude), I could accept the fact that it was a bit of a hard read, but worth it.

Not a book, but still an absolutely AMAZING piece of work is the graphic novel Watchmen. The art isn't anything to write home about, as it came out in the pre-Jim Lee/Rob Liefeld/Todd MacFarlane days of the comic art revolution, but it's the narrative itself that is the centerpiece. In a post-9/11 world, the Cold War aspect is no less chilling today than it was back when this was released. I recommend it above any other novel I've read in the past... geez, I don't know how long.
    A vest has no sleeves.

Comment

Stephen King's new one, Cell, is really good.
      I was planning on starting that one once I finished Choke. Either that, or I'll finally jump on the bandwagon and read The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons (yeah, I'm a couple of years behind everyone else when it comes to literature).
      "I use music as some kind of weird salvation to get away from life." - Billy Corgan

http://www.myspace.com/medellia77

Comment

SHIT, how did I forget those two?! Honestly, I'd read Da Vinci code first, even though it's the "sequel." I think Angels & Demons is the better one, but it's also a much darker and far more violent story. And I REALLY hope that if the film version of Da Vinci has the balls that the book does, they'd be fools not to go ahead and make A&D. THOSE are the two best books I've read in a long time, and I take back what I said about Watchmen. Read those, then that
        A vest has no sleeves.

Comment

if anyone wants to argue about the da vinci code...please do it in this thread! :mrgreen:

Comment

Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis

The WIld Parrots of Telegraph Hill by Mark Mittner

Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit by Charles Bukowski

black mane by michael lariccia (http://www.michaellariccia.com/blackmane.htm)

Comment

Originally posted by medellia77
              I was planning on starting that one once I finished Choke. Either that, or I'll finally jump on the bandwagon and read The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons (yeah, I'm a couple of years behind everyone else when it comes to literature).
              I've never read The Da Vinci Code, but Angels and Demons was really good.
              Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
              Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

great recommendations from everyone, i'm going to have to keep an eye on this thread!! thanks!!

as for mine:

pretty much anything by steve erickson, arc d'x, tours of the black clock and the sea came in at midnight are the ones i've recently read . . . erickson is flat out brilliant, and quite possibly insane . . . his work is very surreal and his use of time in these novels will flip your brain inside out . . .

jorge luis borges - ficciones, the aleph . . . very moving, inspiring short stories from an argentinian legend . . .

jeff vandermeer - city of saints & madmen . . . this book was the one that really got me back into literature after kind of letting it slide for a few years and really inspired a lot of my own writing . . . it's almost comparable to house of leaves in the unconventional way the book is laid out . . . but it really pulls you into it, crawls inside of you and moves through you . . . great stuff . . .

i'll be back with more later, oh yes . . .
                Originally posted by kata rokkar
                Supterfuckingultrawesomecoreasaurus

Comment

Working...
                X