Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Book recommendations..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book recommendations..

What is one book you would recommend to someone?

I'll recommend Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. When I frist read it, I couldn't put it down. Check it out.

THE TIME TRAVELERS WIFE by Audrey Niffennegger

THE RULE OF FOUR would be a 2nd suggestion..similar to THE DAVINCI CODE, but without the religous overtones and graphic detail

Kyle
    allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

I haven't read too many books in my life, but my favorite would have to be Lord Of The Flies by William Golding.
      DeviantArt Facebook

Comment

For those that are willing to read something expansive and mind-blowing, I would suggest anything by Tom Robbins. For those who aren't quite as enthusiastic, some newer stuff by Tim O'Brien. Not exactly humor material but good reads nonetheless. Tomcat in Love is really well done, and In the Lake of the Woods is also quite good.
        A one track mind in a one way town
        Let's go ahead and gentrify
        We let art die with robot minds
        Steal the brush and paint boundary lines

Comment

I was going to suggest some Tim O'Brien .. The Things They Carried was an awesome book .. a collection of stories on Vietnam. I'm not a war buff at all, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. In the Lake of the Woods is pretty good too.

One of my favorite books of all time is A Clockwork Orange, by Anthony Burgess. Better than the movie, in my opinion. Takes some time to get used to the wacky language, but in the end, it is quite good.

A hilarious read is The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Awesome series.

I tried reading Ishmael, but failed about halfway through. It definitely had some nice content, though. I just never got around to finishing it.
          - -- --- ----

Comment

I couldn't put Ishmael down. Another good one is Siddhartha by Herman Hesse.

Comment

I agree with amitface about A Clockwork Orange and Hitchhiker's Guide.

I also suggest anything written by George Orwell. Granted I've only read 5 of his books (1984, Animal Farm, Keep The Aspidistra Flying, Down And Out In Paris And London, The Road To Wigan Pier), I own all of them and will eventually read the other 4 or 5. Keep The Aspidistra Flying is my personal favorite book.
              Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
              Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

re: Book recommendations..

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

oh.. my.. god..
                this is your life and its ending one minute at a time.

http://www.myspace.com/lindseykay07

Comment

Tucker Max - "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell"
                  Frank Kelly Rich - The Modern Drunkard (A Handbook for drinking in the 21st century)
                  Ill scream it until your ears bleed; youll always have a friend in me.

Comment

"House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski. Definitely the scariest and one of the most abstract novels I've ever read. I promise you that it will blow your mind.

Anything by Chuck Palahniuk.

"A Long Way Down" by Nick Hornsby.
                    Originally posted by Gnomad
                    I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                    Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                    do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Re: re: Book recommendations..

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                      "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski. Definitely the scariest and one of the most abstract novels I've ever read. I promise you that it will blow your mind.

Anything by Chuck Palahniuk.

"A Long Way Down" by Nick Hornsby.
                      Am I the only one who isn't the biggest fan of Palahniuk? I read Choke, which was enjoyable, but I tried reading some of his others, and I wasn't getting into it. I also read his short story Guts which was unnecessarily gross. I didn't see any substance in that piece besides shock and some vivid description.

Maybe I'll try reading his stuff again later.
                      - -- --- ----

Comment

The Sound and The Fury by William Faulkner - Sorta difficult for me at first, but I couldnt put it down. Tragic, moving, and impossible to put down no matter how awkward it may seem.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey - Oh my god, what a book.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn - Enjoyed it, but wasn't dominated by its theories. I'm sure a lot of you guys who havent read it will feel the same.

Robinson Cruson by daniel defoe - So old, yet so good.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - see username

The Great Gatsby by F. Scotts Fitzgerald - see one flew over the cuckoos nest
                        Go team venture.

Comment

Re: re: Book recommendations..

Originally posted by amitface
                          Am I the only one who isn't the biggest fan of Palahniuk?
                          nope. where are you Clockwork4168?

Comment

Palahniuk is part of a new movement in literature most are referring to as "minimalism." Short staccato sentences that get rid of most of the excess and deliver the details, including a lot of VERY memorable one liners. I love him, simply because his excess is a direct result of the society we live in. Much of his work is satirical, and it takes some time to really understand the analogies and metaphors he's putting forth. "Survivor" is about education, "Lullaby" is about the death penalty, "Fight Club" is about dying masculinity in a post-feminist world... and "Haunted" (which includes Guts) is a variation on the form put forth in books like The Canterbury Tales, with people doing everything they can to gross each other out and create the ultimate movie-worthy story.

I love it.
                            Originally posted by Gnomad
                            I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                            do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Morph
                              For those that are willing to read something expansive and mind-blowing, I would suggest anything by Tom Robbins. For those who aren't quite as enthusiastic, some newer stuff by Tim O'Brien. Not exactly humor material but good reads nonetheless. Tomcat in Love is really well done, and In the Lake of the Woods is also quite good.
                              I like the things they carried by O'Brien, was gonna read some more of him during my break. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. If you like Science Fiction read the Ender Series by Orson Scott Card.
                              sigpic
                              We'll fuck standing and we'll fuck then lying, if they had wings we'll fuck them flying, when they are dead and long forgotten we'll dig them up and fuck them rotten.
                              happy birthday, you bastard of bastards.

Comment

Working...
                              X