Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

"Some tidbits from the band.."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Some tidbits from the band.."

so my impatience drove me so far as to read throughout the site and guess what i found? yep! a news section...

i just couldn't go pass this one posted on May 7th, 2009 at 06:40 AM by TheRuleofThree

i read it and realized that even if it was just a month before an official release (and the album already leaked) there was lots of information and announcments (i don't know which word should i use here, hope you understand) which didn't really happen...

it looked like guys had some ideas - most of them very good - but just lost them half way like the video for i don't know (never officially released), bsides drom PPD, album concept...

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
    The concept is of course explored a lot more in the album art, and I'm beginning to think that we're going to be discovering details in history books, science books and religious texts in the next few months that resonate with the record.
    - yeah, right... only if the letter to the six billion citizen stands up for all of this

not to mention all other stuff from previous records: DVD, studio footage and of course the albums release dates...

i don't want to sound pessimistic, so i'll just say that we, dredg fans, weren't spoiled by them for all these years, yet i think our patience have strongly developed.

how would it be if they did everything that they stated/promised us?
    better or worse?
    <- This dog is smoking a pipe.

Your argument is invalid.

Re: &quot;Some tidbits from the band..&quot;

There was a dvd with studio footage in the ltd. edition. What promises do you feel have been broken?

Comment

I don't understand the purpose of this tread. This angers me.

Comment

Originally posted by SimpatiK View Post
        There was a dvd with studio footage in the ltd. edition. What promises do you feel have been broken?
        what limited edition?

how about the leitmotif movie, the making of catch without arms dvd that turned into the making of all 4 records and orph dvd, the serj tankian ode remix, the remix contest(s), "wondrous miracle" and "holding a remedy potion," the rest of the catch without arms prints, and last but not least the post-apocalyptic follow-up to el cielo featuring a full orchestra...?
        ---
        Originally posted by radmir View Post
        so my impatience drove me so far as to read throughout the site and guess what i found? yep! a news section...

i just couldn't go pass this one posted on May 7th, 2009 at 06:40 AM by TheRuleofThree

it looked like guys had some ideas - most of them very good - but just lost them half way like the video for i don't know (never officially released), bsides drom PPD, album concept...

- yeah, right... only if the letter to the six billion citizen stands up for all of this

i remember some texts/articles surfacing that coincided with gavin's lyrics. if that's what you're looking for, you might have to dig as they weren't given all that much attention.
        Originally posted by vsd
        ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
          i remember some texts/articles surfacing that coincided with gavin's lyrics. if that's what you're looking for, you might have to dig as they weren't given all that much attention.
          yeah, you're probably right. i see it that way:
          band made a concept for PPD -> they didn't give it much attention before/after the release -> we didn't give it much attention after the release -> the concept died natural death...

it seems to me that, above all, PPD got the least attention on this board of all the records and band helped it a lot

Comment

There was a DVD with some of the editions of Pariah, I was very happy with these interviews.
            I am still waiting and hoping that the Making of Catch without arems will surface one fine day, I am very much interested in that particular one. And to know it was done and edited and never seen the light of the day... I sometimes wonder if a pre-order kind of thing would help them release such. I would pay good amount for that. Not sure how many of us would.
            Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

I don't think you can say a concept died just because you didn't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by InfraredDream View Post
                There was a DVD with some of the editions of Pariah, I was very happy with these interviews.
                Were those interviews the ones where they gave track by track details or am I thinking of something else?
                Originally posted by vsd

Comment

This is an interesting thread, but I don’t think it’s entirely off base. Really, though, I think the broader question is what really constitutes “news.”

The problem with a board like this – and I hate describing it as a problem, but on this board it tends to become one – is that a lot of ideas that are floating around end up coming here to die. “Holding a Remedy Potion” happens to be just one of a countless number of songs that the band wrote, demoed, and then subsequently left alone and never picked back up. People on this board have an enormous interest in everything the band does, including the things that they’re considering doing or maybe started to do and then stopped. That’s why we have people showing up here years after the fact wondering where they can get a hard copy of the Waterbourne soundtrack or getting angry that the “Leitmotif” movie never got finished.

I don’t think this sort of enthusiasm should be punished, or ridiculed, or even discouraged. This board has been the lifeblood of the band’s core audience for a decade, give or take a few years, and everyone on here knows each other pretty well (about as well as you can know someone on a message board you frequent). For a long time, people close to the band have dropped in and shared things that were in the works or being conceptualized that never came to fruition. I don’t know the band as well as some of these people, although I consider most of them friends and one in particular was the officiating reverend in my marriage. Still, these things get posted because the people on here are the only ones that would really, really care about that sort of stuff if it came to be.

Last year’s tour thread was a (much-deserved) rude awakening for me because it reminded me how inflated our expectations can become, though. This is another example of my tendency to over-share coming back to haunt me. The artwork for TPTPTD obviously didn’t provide a lot of insight to the concept, and my note about us discovering references to other sources of information that bolstered the text was based partially on my discussions with some people in the band and partially based on our tendency here to find outside sources of information that corroborate with concepts on the record.

Ultimately, the band has control over how much of their material and art they want to be out there in the public sphere. I recall their unhappiness with the Coquette demos leaking. The flip side is a band like Tool, who reportedly have an enormous collection of b-sides that have never seen the light of day and tightly control their releases and artistic ideas, much to the frustration of their fan base, which is rarely happy with them anyway. The other side of it, of course, is that it costs money to do things like books of artwork and movies, money that the band might just have better uses for (like living expenses). Every now and then we get a surprise, like the Leitmotif vinyl. We’re coming up on the ten-year anniversary of El Cielo, so maybe we’ll see something for that (NOTE: JUST A GUESS).

I don’t really know what I’m trying to say here. I guess my point is that no one should expect anything from the band until it’s got an official release date. If you don’t want to be let down, don’t read rumors, and read everything skeptically. I’m still a huge fan of most everything these guys do, and I know that most of the people on here are too, so I’m still going to share whatever I hear and hope that the cool things that get tossed around every now and then come to fruition.

Edit: I do want to add, as a footnote, that discussing what is “owed” to a fanbase is, in my opinion, a shitty thing to do. No one is obligated to have an interest in any particular art, and the band does not make music to fulfill an obligation to their fan base. They write the music they like because its what they enjoy, and they want to make a living doing what they enjoy. Sometimes their conception of what the right direction is for their career will differ from yours or mine, but we don’t really have a right to call the shots on what is ultimately their life’s work.
                  Originally posted by Gnomad
                  I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                  Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                  do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

I concur with that entire post.
                    Originally posted by vsd

Comment

Entitlement is an art. Hardcore fans are the best at that. I think I'm the most vocal person on the board when it comes to "Holding a Remedy Potion." I will champion that song's release until it happens or until I die. Even then, I don't go as far as some people when it comes to entitlement. But hey, I do it for love. Some people are just assholes and really do feel that they are owed something in life.

Now when it comes to a film that was apparently created and edited, that's kinda crazy that it was never released. I think that when it comes to b-sides or rarities that the band has distanced themselves from, they really should just make them available digitally. Do the no-minimum, choose your own price thing. It would make fans happy beyond belief and they would actually make SOME money on them. I dunno, it's just one of those things that never makes sense to me. Shit, I would honestly pay $50 for HARP if I could.
                      A vest has no sleeves.

Comment

Originally posted by Fawst View Post
                        Entitlement is an art. Hardcore fans are the best at that. I think I'm the most vocal person on the board when it comes to "Holding a Remedy Potion." I will champion that song's release until it happens or until I die. Even then, I don't go as far as some people when it comes to entitlement. But hey, I do it for love. Some people are just assholes and really do feel that they are owed something in life.

Now when it comes to a film that was apparently created and edited, that's kinda crazy that it was never released. I think that when it comes to b-sides or rarities that the band has distanced themselves from, they really should just make them available digitally. Do the no-minimum, choose your own price thing. It would make fans happy beyond belief and they would actually make SOME money on them. I dunno, it's just one of those things that never makes sense to me. Shit, I would honestly pay $50 for HARP if I could.
                        I can understand your perspective, but from the band's point of view it doesn't make a lot of sense to flood the market with demos and unreleased songs when they're trying hard enough to get traction with their actual releases. But these guys are going to want to make money off their art the rest of their lives, so I'm sure you'll have the chance to pay as much as you want for b-sides at some point in the future.

Super God.
                        do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
                          Were those interviews the ones where they gave track by track details or am I thinking of something else?
                          Yeah, this is what I meant.

As for the bigger discussion, I totally agree with they don't owe anything to the fans statement. On the other hand I sometimes wonder why some of the ideas that a lot of fans are interested in are not getting released. (I remember Drew saying a few times that the Making Of CWA DVD was edited and ready.) Same as Fawst I think the band could make some good money out of these releases, so why not? Is it the money? As with current technology it could be done without them spending a lot on an actual release, they could make it available as a digital download, etc. Or they just don't like the finished product like I Don't Know video. Or maybe some other reasons. So without saying they OWE us these releases or anything, I still wonder about the reasons and I think such discussions are somewhat relevant for this board especially in a silent time in anticipation of the new album
                          Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

Originally posted by InfraredDream View Post
                            Yeah, this is what I meant.

As for the bigger discussion, I totally agree with they don't owe anything to the fans statement. On the other hand I sometimes wonder why some of the ideas that a lot of fans are interested in are not getting released. (I remember Drew saying a few times that the Making Of CWA DVD was edited and ready.) Same as Fawst I think the band could make some good money out of these releases, so why not? Is it the money? As with current technology it could be done without them spending a lot on an actual release, they could make it available as a digital download, etc. Or they just don't like the finished product like I Don't Know video. Or maybe some other reasons. So without saying they OWE us these releases or anything, I still wonder about the reasons and I think such discussions are somewhat relevant for this board especially in a silent time in anticipation of the new album
                            I don't speak for the band, obviously, but I would suggest that releasing anything under the name of "dredg" requires not just consent of all four members but also coordination within the current contract, potentially coordination with the label through which the material was originally released, etc. Alternatively, it might not be on their radar at all right now. I'm sure someone will ask them at a show or something in the near future. But if they come back to the board and post that Drew says it'll be out sooner or later... well, then we're right back to square one.

Super God.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
                              Ultimately, the band has control over how much of their material and art they want to be out there in the public sphere. I recall their unhappiness with the Coquette demos leaking. The flip side is a band like Tool, who reportedly have an enormous collection of b-sides that have never seen the light of day and tightly control their releases and artistic ideas, much to the frustration of their fan base, which is rarely happy with them anyway.
                              i got your point there. thanks for that whole post and for clearing things up. guess we, the hardcore fans are sometimes irrational in our love for the band.

the one question that still bothers me is wheter the last album got less attention on this board than the previous releases and why did that happen? and how will this affect the new release?

oh, and does somebody have a link or whatever to that track by track details video about PPD?

Comment

Working...
                              X