Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Cool Story and Pictures... Road Trip to Dredg Concert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Story and Pictures... Road Trip to Dredg Concert!

Its summer vacation in Monterrey, Mexico. Me and my friends are deciding on going on a Road Trip to see Dredg... in Texas.
    As you guys might expect, we needed careful preparations for the trip since none of us is (Im 17 as well as 2 of my other friends. My other friend was 18, and the last of us turned 20 the same day as the concert [preety cool]) either 21 or a guardian.
    Problems:
    a) Money: its gas, tickets, food, and well for any eventualities we needed some cash.
    b) Ride: we needed a safe car.
    c) Getting there! None of us had never been to Odessa, TX and if you look at a map and see where it is, its not that simple to get there.
    d) Housing: where were we gonna sleep!?
    e) Getting through the border: one of our friends had an expired passport (a month), and three of us were minors!
    f) Getting permision from parents.

Well we started off calculating our expenses (which meant eating, and dining at McDonalds hahaha), gas money and whatever. We saw that we could do it, money wise we could get the money together. This also meant that one of our friends who works at GE (Daniel) had to miss one day at work and spend most of his payment on this trip. But he did not even hesitated and said yes right away, making special arrangements at work.

Then the oldest of the bunch (Eduardo), who is not that big of a Dredg fan, but a good friend nonetheless was pumped about coming and we were glad we could have him... that meant that we had our designated driver. Plus, he has a great sense of direction! He got a map of Texas, and pinpointed which routes we were going to take and how long it was going to take. Getting there was at that point a problem solved.

By this time we were going great and preparations were going well, all parents had given us the thumbs up... except one! One of us (which sadly is not in any of the pictures, will explain later.) had not been that great of a student and his parents had said a definite no. He is 18, and had decided that he was not going to be able to come. He had come forth and said that he could get the ride for us, and after a long time thinking about it. He talked with his brother, he got his brother's car and he said he was coming with us... even though his parents had said no. (yes yes, this is very wrong... but haha that is NOT the point of this story ahahha..)
    So we got our ride! A Land Rover, in really good shape.

For housing I stepped in, and convinced my parents to let us use their house in San Antonio, TX. It took me a while but I finally got the keys from my parents.

Now the final step was getting through the border... two of us who were minors got a letter from the government that said that we were allowed to travel to TX with two of my older friends, but one of my friends (Daniel)
    could not get it on time and we had to leave without his letter.

So July 29 we left home and went to Texas!

First 3 or 4 hours driving and we got to the border... we were at the border for about about another 3 hours or so... we got through the border after a long time. We did not get asked for the letters and since my friend's visa was not expired he got in without problems!!

Well we got to my house, after other 4 hours and slept. Next morning we left to Odessa which was 8 hours driving! After a loooong time and getting gas a few times we got to the famous Dos Amigos and to see DREDG!

Okay... this has been a long read I guess but THE CONCERT WAS AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING. IT WAS WORTH EEEVERYTHING.
    We got to meet them, talk to them and take a real nice picture with them. We also got video but I dont have it right now...

Hope you liked my first post... my story and the pictures. It was a small venue and we were about 30 people actually watching them, but it was so intimate and a great concert... worth everything. And we got to meet them!!! That was AWESOME.

Great setlist, I'll post it later... a bit of El Cielo, Leitmotif and Catch without arms... it was friggin GREAT. Gavin gave a drumstick he was using with the lap guitar to one of my friends!

I was blown over by Dredg... simply perfection.

(In the picture we took we appear from left to right: Drew, Eduardo, Gavin, Mark, me (in the blue shirt), Daniel, Dino, and Jerry... My other friend was not in the picture for some strange reason.)

Here's the pictures:

Thanks Dredg!!!!

Awwww, Ruiz. That's awesome, man. Sounds like it was quite the adventure. Welcome to the forums, and thanks for sharing the story + pictures. Definitely very cool. Hope you get the chance to see dredg again soon!

Comment

Sounds like a great time

The pic of Drew lifting his bass is absolutely awesome

Comment

Quite the adventure, man. Glad to see you enjoyed yourself. You're incredible proof of how dedicated dredg fans can be.

Comment

That's a great story. Sounds like an awesome time.

Did dredg headline this show or what? You said they played catch, cielo and leitmotif songs..
          - -- --- ----

Comment

Yup! They headlined it! Opening bands were Veda and a local band called Pumpjack.

Comment

awesome man thanks for sharing.

Comment

That's so great man! Thanks for sharing your story & pictures! I'd be so happy to have a great picture of me my buds & dredg like that! So cool!

Comment

re: Cool Story and Pictures... Road Trip to Dredg Concert!

What did you think of Veda? I was supposed to see them on tour with Thrice but I got there too late... I really enjoy their music and the chicks voice. Its nice.....

Comment

I thought they were cool. I digged her voice, but I was just thinking about dredg while they were playing. They also played just for a little while and couldnt really appreciate it. I checked them out afterwards just for the heck of it, and really enjoyed it!

Comment

Awesome story and pictures !!!
                      i met those guys and they are so cool!

Great story really!

Comment

Zup dude! Daniel Speaking, the guy that's on the left of Ruiz (the creater of this). Hey man! you forgot to mention the 15 hours that was from Monterrey, Mexico to Odessa TX! and DUDE! how could you possibly forget after the concert, all the bunnies and skunks that we run over! hahahahahaha (from 1:30 Am to 3:00 Am) that was the best, if there is any way that you can upload some video clips from the concert when we where talking to Gavin 8) , or when we run over the bunnies hahaha, that was crazy. oh well, im kind of sick, no wait, REALLY SICK :cry: , so i should go to bed and watch a movie or something, shit, i wanted to go to the monster truck show in the Arena Monterrey hopefuly i can feel better in a couple of hours, oh well... see ya man! a big hug!

p.s Nice night at the billards on friday! you owe me a match! one on one! no more 2 on 2.

Comment

Aw, poor Drew looks sad and alone in the group pictures. Looks like a blast, they put on such amazing shows when headlining.

Comment

Working...
                          X