Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

9/29 Pgh show review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/29 Pgh show review

Dredg played really well tonight although the crowd pretty much sucked. The setlist (I may have mixed one or two songs up or forgotten one, I'm pretty tired) was:
    Ode
    Bug Eyes
    Same Old Road
    Jamais Vu
    Canyon
    Tanbark
    Drum Take Down
    I could tell the crowd was going to be annoying from the start of the show with mewithoutYou. The crowd was pushing nonstop the whole entire time while Dredg was on, and would open up mosh pits during extremely inappropriate times, like during Same Old Road. It was pretty funny though, when the morons started a pit during Canyon, at one point Gavin said in a kind of mean angry voice "Stop it," although he wasn't real close to the mic so it wasn't very loud, and then he mouthed something that appeared to be "motherfuckers." And they actually did stop maybe a half a minute later. Overall though, the crowd gave them a better reception than I thought they would get. Two of my friends who went that had never heard Dredg and were going to see other bands are now fans, which is always a plus. The show was a great ending to a crappy day.
    "Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. "
    Kahlil Gibran

I was really hoping they'd play Canyon at the HOB show; that's one of my favorite songs. Glad you had a good time!
    "I use music as some kind of weird salvation to get away from life." - Billy Corgan

http://www.myspace.com/medellia77

Comment

Me too...oh well. We got Hungover instead.

FacebookTwitterdredg page

Comment

re:

Hey, Strummer. Thanks for the review. Glad you had a great time, despite the annoying nature of the crowd.

It was pretty funny though, when the morons started a pit during Canyon, at one point Gavin said in a kind of mean angry voice "Stop it," although he wasn't real close to the mic so it wasn't very loud, and then he mouthed something that appeared to be "motherfuckers."
        Hahaha. Awesome. Yeah, I remember people were pushing during "Canyon" [which I just think is a song that people shouldn't mosh to. At all. Ever. But that's just me] when I saw dredg in August. I remember Gavin furrowing his eyebrows at that. Heh. Shortly before that, I had glared in the culprits' direction to no avail.

Comment

re: 9/29 Pgh show review

i taped it and coheed and cambria, but its all fucked up being my first time, and its barely audible, like its a whisper, so i have no clue what i did wrong...emo punkish crowd was gay...

blood brothers suck IMO...

this show soldout...i got there at 730, left at 645...after my football practice and got there in 45 minutes for 62 miles...i was flying needless to say!

anyways, i waited in line go "2 tickets" lady points to sign on desk that says sold out (post the fracking thing!) so i went to big black guy bouncing, im like i just came to see the opener, hes like their done, im like no, 2nd opener dredg, he pointed me to the manager of the place, hes like i cant do anything about this, its clear channels responsibility, im like i didnt drive up here for nothing, so i slipped him 40 bucks and me and my gf got in just in time...for the 6 or 7 dredg songs...it was her first time...

it was so much better when i saw them at the rex w/ only 150 people back 08/11/05 in pittsburgh, more intimate, there were so many deuchebags there tonight...you know the doods that wear chick pants...lol

son of a bitch, i snuck my shit down my pants and didnt even get frisked and my recording blows... :x son of a bitch!!!

Comment

re:

Aw. Sorry to hear, man. No worries though. There will be other shows and other opportunities to give taping another shot. Did you at least sorta enjoy the show?

One main reason I wasn't interested in this tour (aside from dredg not being the main act AND not being a big fan of C&C) is because I knew the crowd would consist mostly of 12-year-old scenester kids that would more-than-likely drive me into a murderous rage.

dredg - next time you headline, go 18+ or 21+. Fuck the kids. And go to Clearwater Theater in West "Vintage Town" Dundee, IL. It's a nice place.

Comment

Am I dumb or something? Because I have no idea what "Drum Take Down" is. What is is?

Comment

The "drum take down" was the methodical removal of the drum set, piece by piece, as the band finished the set, until it was just the keyboard.

Club Zoo is a horrible concert venue. Yes, it's nice to have a club in an old warehouse in the Strip District (that part of Pittsburgh it is located), but the acoustics and set-up are horrible for bands. It should remain just a club. That said, it was the audience and the bands outside of Dredg that were most disappointing.

One, you can't mosh to dredg. You can be a driving force, with arms in the air, a mass of bodies thrusting with the ebb and flow of the music. That concept escaped the teeny-boppers that were in the crowd Thursday night.

Second, since when did ripping apart your vocal chords and screaming like a wounded Rhesus Monkey constitute as singing? mewithoutyou and The Blood Brothers are horrendous, even moreso compared to the majesty that lies within dredg.

Third, and what irked me the most - even more so than the Rhesus Monkeys on stage and the lousy mix put forth by the techies - the ignoramuses in the audience (excluding you fine folks here, of course) appreciated The Freaking Blood Brothers more than dredg. Absurd. Preposterous. Learn to appreciate music you stylized, insecure, wanna-be hipsters! And loosen your pants; the next time I see a teenage male with pants tight enough to cut off circulation to the entire lower body, well, I think that calls for justifiable acts that I probably shouldn't mention.

Anyways, dredg, great performance Thursday night. Come back to Pittsburgh in a different venue and with better bands - or, even better, by yourselves - and you'll be much more appreciated.
                A one track mind in a one way town
                Let's go ahead and gentrify
                We let art die with robot minds
                Steal the brush and paint boundary lines

Comment

i was at the pitt show too. it was a great show other than the complete ignorance and rudeness of the crowd. i left after dredg cause i had no desire to see the last two shit bands. i guess nowadays you don't have to be talented to be in a band, just trendy.
                  In a weird kind of way, music has afforded me an idealism and perfectionism that I could never attain as me.

Comment

About Club Zoo sucking, I think that place, even before when it was Metropol/M was always a bad place to see shows, and it seemed as though any show I went to there was full of jerkfaces, and it appears that the tradition carries on. The only decent place around that area was the World, but after that kid died from the Dillinger show on top of the shootings on Smallman St., the owner couldn't keep it open.
                    it was so much better when i saw them at the rex w/ only 150 people back 08/11/05 in pittsburgh, more intimate, there were so many deuchebags there tonight
                    Yes, the show at the Rex/the crowd there was much better, but maybe that's because Dredg was headlining. The Rex and Mr. Small's are the only good venues for mid-sized shows left in the area.
                    "Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. "
                    Kahlil Gibran

Comment

The "drum take down" was the methodical removal of the drum set, piece by piece, as the band finished the set, until it was just the keyboard.
                      Did any of you that were at the show notice that as soon as Gavin walked off stage everyone clapped, thinking they were done, and 95% of the audience didn't realize they were still playing. After the Take Down when Dino got up I started clapping and was the only one doing for about a good 15 seconds or so before other people picked up on what had been going on and started clapping.
                      Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Yeah, although, not having been to a dredg show before, I thought it was the end as well and applauded and cheered. Then I saw Dino and Mark (I think) still going, shut up, and enjoyed the Take Down. Followed that with an even louder burst of applause.

I said it in my earlier post, but I'll say it again. If dredg can get out on a co-headlining or headlining tour with bands that are more in tune with their style (as best as they can, of course), then I think the venues and reception will improve massively.

Comment

People here cheered and clapped when Gavin stepped off stage. And cheered and clapped some more when Drew and Mark departed. And cheered and clapped even more when Dino finally left and the stage was empty. It was beautiful.

This, of course, was when they were headlining and people knew what was going on.

Comment

It was a pretty amazing experience, even though it was just a half hour or so. I can only imagine what it must be like once the set goes beyond an hour long...

I will say that I saw a good handful of people getting into the music, mostly with a "Holy crap" look on their face as it dawned on them that this was a very unique and very good band.

Comment

thanks for the review Strummer. mrcleaner712, hang in there man...you'll pull a good one and it will all be worth it.

Not looking forward to the crowd at the Quest in Minneapolis. I go to the Triple Rock a lot and it's frickin scenester whore haven. tight tight 50s pants with the bottoms rolled up...these kids seen the Outsiders one to many times, where did this come from? I've noticed it the last 2-3 years. oh yeah don't forget your (rock climbers clip?) with 25 keys on it....i can see if that shit was practical but don't tell me they have uses for every single one of those keys. these kids don't realize that all trying to look cool and 'independent' just lumps them together and instead of being an individual they end up looking like they're wearing a costume.

being anti-trendy has become trendy and instead of standing out on their own these kids all look the same. i wear jeans and a tee shirt, maybe a hoodie if it's cold out but fuck all of these 'hip' accessories. give me a break. how about all of the kids with thrift store suits, big glasses and curly fros trying to be Napoleon? they're all over minneapolis, at least 2-3 a show now. man I shouldn't get started on suits. let's all start wearing a suit and tie to shows or on casual nights just a tie and tee shirt.

/ends rant

edit: I don't mean to sound like I'm the elitest here cause I'll hang with anyone but when you start talking like I did in my post...well then you're no better then they are. the shit just really annoys me and I'd wish they'd get over it but every generation has its own form of this...

Comment

Working...
                              X