Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

El Cielo Review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Cielo Review...

Ok, I know that Leitmotif "rocked" and I expect El Cielo was even better, but I've yet to see anybody talk about last nights show. Is it possible to get some sort of review other than "It was good". Did they pull off El Cielo in a live fashion or was it a whole different beast live?!?!

That album is so layered that I'm curious as to how it sounded in full live...
    Originally posted by Ars Sycro
    I have a type. I like hot bitches.

It was good...

Added after 5 minutes:

Just kidding... when I'm able to collect my thoughts and rest my mind, I will say something about the shows... for now, I am drained... it's been a very long two days...

Comment

Here's kinda commentary on both shows with last night's setlist I'm pretty sure

Both shows were more or less flawless. Hearing songs like PENGUINS IN THE DESERT, CONVALESCENT, IT ONLY TOOK A DAY (with a guy dancing on stage in a Penguin costume), WHOA IS ME. The band had Gus Farwell perform the opera-style vocals on LYNDON, who actually sang it on LEITMOTIF and is a friend of the band going back to High School. I think it was SCISSOR LOCK as well on Friday he came back to do chanting. Gavin's trumpet and singing through it into his mic do create the distorted vocals similar to the record. A percussive jam prior to IT ONLY TOOK A DAY I think it was.

ODE TO THE SUN
      JAMAIS VU
      BUG EYES

Brushstroke: Debtfoabaaposba
      Same Ol' Road
      Sanzen
      Brushstroke: New Heart Shadow
      Triangle
      Sorry But It's Over
      Convalescent
      Brushstroke: Walk In The Pack
      Eighteen People Living In Harmony
      Scissor Lock
      Brushstroke: (Reprise)
      Jam
      Of The Room
      Brushstroke: An Elephant In The Delta Waves
      It Only Took A Day
      Whoa Is Me
      Canyon Behind Her

Encore

YATAHAZE

Very cool meeting a lot of you folks this weekend. Ars, Christian, Evasive, Jess, Millie..I'm forgetting some names..apologies..the two friends from Michigan, Dan Fury from the Kaddisfly community...(and I forget the name of the guy he was with, but he looked familiar). Most of the others drank, but I'm generall the sober-type so I wasn't quite as involved in the partying before and after the shows. Thanks to Evansive for the DVD..will have to watch it soon..maybe I could send you something in return at some point.

Other than the moshing on Thursday, and some of the drunk guys behind me on the balcony who I guess attended the same HS as Dredg but are a few years younger (23).. The weekend couldn't have more perfect. Shirts, pizza on the street, Pacific Cookie Co, In N Out, Rasputins..found some cool stuff for uber-cheap like Muse, Jeff Buckley..even the wind making 75 degrees feel like 50 I didn't mind.

Hope to do it again sometime. I don't regret missing Porcupine Tree or ProgPowerUSA after the last couple of days.

Kyle
      allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

dude thanks for the review, I really hope they can bring back "sorry but it's over" next time they tour again.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the review. I knew that it would be great, but I just wanted to hear for sure that it was from somebody who was there...

...so was "Whoa Is Me" into the "Canyon Behind Her" the greatest dredg moment ever or not?!?!

I can't wait to see\hear this...

...it's still a horrible joke...
          Originally posted by Ars Sycro
          I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Comment

It was a good joke, you bastard!

And I didn't lie.... Scott and Zach were both told that it did not matter what the band said, there was no professional equipment allowed. I just failed to include the follow up, which involved Scott telling him he had permission from the band and fighting back and forth with the guy before he finally got on the walkie-talkie and called down to the head guy and asked about audio and video. The head guy told him all audio and video was allowed, and the guy turned around and yelled "fuck it then. change your damn rules" and told Scott and Zach to go in.

Then there was another bastard that refused to give me a setlist and then threw it away in the garbage and quickly had the garbage can emptied. Billy knows that guy will rot in hell!
            Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
            Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

The only thing that was odd to me was that on most of the songs, the tempo was increased quite a bit.

Comment

I did notice that. Seemed odd to me at first too, but it worked, so I forgot about it.

Comment

Gavin was dressed in some kind of black robe  with protruding fake white flowers stuck to it.  It looked as though he was also wearing black slacks under and black dress shoes for the entire show.  At one point Drew asked the crowd "what the fuck is gavin wearing?"  The opera singer actually sang over walk in the park, not scissor lock.  There were a couple of what looked to be parents of the band on the left side of the stage.  Drew sparked his own personal joint right before elephant in the delta waves, on which he played percussion along with another guest.  Drew also used a toothbrush and a woodblock to emulate the sounds heard in dcbtfoabaaposba.  He had a chime type bell for the quiet moments before the "HEY!" in triangle.  The moshing/crowd surfing was extremely annoying for virtually the entire show.  The wind at the end part of reprise was not played at all.  no mandolin or vocals during an elephant in the delta waves.  no cello for 18 people.  no chorus at the end of canyon.  that's all the important random facts that i can remember right now.  you have to forgive me, i literally just returned from santa cruz after a 13 hour drive today.
                  Originally posted by vsd
                  ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Nit
                    The wind at the end part of reprise was not played at all.  
                    Actually, it was. That was something I distinctly remember, because I love that part and I was glad they played it.

Otherwise, all your facts are pretty damn solid. You even pointed out things I didn't catch. Good ears, good eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad
                      Originally posted by Frank Nit
                      The wind at the end part of reprise was not played at all.  
                      Actually, it was. That was something I distinctly remember, because I love that part and I was glad they played it.

Otherwise, all your facts are pretty damn solid. You even pointed out things I didn't catch. Good ears, good eyes.
                      It was played, but I felt that the sound was off, so Gavin's slide came in way in front of Mark's guitar, and it sounded really awkward because they weren't properly synced (it seemed to me.)

The drum jam was one of the best dredg moments for me.  I was going nuts over how awesome that was.

Comment

damn i completely missed wind at the end somehow.  i guess i was expecting gavin to pick up the acoustic during that or something.  so it was played all electric?  

also, i really liked how dino was extra aggressive during new heart shadow.  that was cool.
                        Originally posted by vsd
                        ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Originally posted by Clockwork4168
                          dude thanks for the review, I really hope they can bring back "sorry but it's over" next time they tour again.
                          yes please!
                          still, imo, the most underrated dredg song

Comment

Moving this to tour reviews!
                            Originally posted by Gnomad
                            I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                            Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                            do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

hey dudes. there were actually two guests adding percussion bits onto elephant in the delta waves. they were the drummers of day one symphony and delta activity. two bands that will add a little sparkle into your life =)
                              evolo:foto >>> colorful concert photography. dredg included. enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X