Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Stephen Hawking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Hawking

In light of Stephen Hawking's upcoming book and the statements here:

And the backlash I'm reading already, I have a question for the theists here:

If 'things' require a creator, who created the initial creator?

Why is the initial creator allowed to burst into existence without being created, but the universe is not allowed to?

If god always existed, why are gods the only 'things' allowed to always exist?

Re: Stephen Hawking

Originally posted by FeebleFables View Post
    In light of Stephen Hawking's upcoming book and the statements here:

And the backlash I'm reading already, I have a question for the theists here:

If 'things' require a creator, who created the initial creator?

Why is the initial creator allowed to burst into existence without being created, but the universe is not allowed to?

If god always existed, why are gods the only 'things' allowed to always exist?
    Quite frankly, I do not believe there is a beginning or an end. Cycles exist on every scale of existence that we see. That may mean the electron cycling around the nucleus. Or it could be quantum quirks pulsating. As far back as we can show is the "Big Bang." However, I don't think that the big bang is the beginning. To me, the big bang is merely the explosion of the "universe" after its previous contraction. The universe itself pulsates into and out of existence. However, we cannot comprehend the scale of it in either the 3 physical dimensions we easily comprehend or even the time dimension. You are asking someone that lives for 80 years to comprehend what happens in trillions of years. That, and very few people can even conceptualize the other 7 dimensions we live in. I know I struggle with it.

Now, I am not a quantum physicist that can decipher these things, but it just seems logical to me.

For god to have existed first, it implies that there is a beginning to existence. However, if there is no existence, how is there a god? I don't think Hawkings point will ever be disproven, but it will also never be proven. There's a certain amount of paradox involved.

Also, I think there is a chance that our "universe" is basically the extent of our brain's scope. We cannot comprehend anything larger than we all have come to know as the "universe."
    Last edited by AnewKINDofFEELING; September 2, 2010, 09:17 PM.
    I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
    I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
    A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
    To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

It's just funny to say that because God isn't needed to create the Big Bang is anything like proof that he didn't.
      Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
      Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
        It's just funny to say that because God isn't needed to create the Big Bang is anything like proof that he didn't.
        I haven't read the book yet of course, but I'd venture to say that wasn't what he was going for. He's a smart guy, I'm sure he understands that there will probably never be "proof". I imagine he's going for: there is evidence to show that a god isn't required to create the universe, therefore chances are good one didn't, as it's not necessary.

Maybe it just pushes the god idea further to: 'the creator of the multiverse' instead...

And it gets us no closer to an answer to the existence/creation problem of which it's as absurd to think 'stuff' always existed without a creator, as it is absurd to think something infinitely more complex can burst into existence without being created.

Comment

i think the moon fucked a star.
          Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Probably going to read this... but I'm not going to lie, I wouldn't even be able to begin to pretend to understand it.

Comment

Part of why Stephen Hawkings is so popular, is his ability to make really complicated things understandable

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
                This. The absence of proof is not proof of absence. Truthfully, it appears that Hawking's forgot scientific method. I will read the book one day, though.
                I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Watch that you don't speak for him. I haven't seen a quote from him yet saying a universe creating god is disproved, only brash journalists putting such as their headline.

It looks like the quote they're jumping on is:

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."

Comment

Working...
                  X