Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Mind-Blowing Albums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mind-Blowing Albums

Inspired by http://traversingboard.com/showthread.php?t=4664.
    This is different from "Top albums of the decade" thread because I want to know what albums changed your lives (i.e. dramatically altered your perspectives.) I don't want generic "really great albums." I want ones you don't think you could live without. Limit to 5 within the 2000's era. Any genre (except rap...just kidding. but not really.)

1. Deftones - "White Pony"
    2. dredg - "El Cielo"
    3. Karnivool - "Themata"
    4. Killswitch Engage - "Alive or Just Breathing"
    5. Tie between Lamb of God "Ashes of the Wake" and Sigur Ros "Heim"
    --I can do that because I started the thread.

I'm mainly doing this because I'm tired of what's coming out these days and want to dig into some stuff I may have missed over the years. If anyone can find me some songs like Nahemah - Subterranean Airports, I'd love you forever.
    We gotta break down these barricades, everyone has AIDS!

Re: Mind-Blowing Albums

Anything by Talk Talk. Especially Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden; absolute master pieces.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Washed Out's Life of Leisure EP. Normally most of the stuff recommended via Pitchfork is hipster garbage, but this EP is disarmingly brilliant. It's nostalgic electronic music done right.

Also, Letting Up Despite Great Faults's eponymous album.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeHomelessGuy View Post
        Washed Out's Life of Leisure EP. Normally most of the stuff recommended via Pitchfork is hipster garbage, but this EP is disarmingly brilliant. It's nostalgic electronic music done right.

Also, Letting Up Despite Great Faults's eponymous album.
        Yeah, a lot of people are dismissing the chillwave movement right now but I love it. Listening to Toro Y Moi at night sets the mood just right.

_____

Arcade Fire - Funeral: It still makes me emotional every time I listen to it. Everything about this album speaks to me with charm and innocence.

Bjork - Homogenic: The first real album I bought from her catalogue. The amount of genius and originality in this album is too much to bear.

Michael Jackson - Off The Wall: The album that started it all. I blame this record for my obsession with music and performance altogether.

Comment

Warren G - Regulate...G Funk Era
          Metallica - The Black Album
          Bone Thugz-n-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal
          Makaveli - The Don Killuminati...The 7 Day Theory
          Deftones - Around the Fur
          Deftones - White Pony
          dredg - El Cielo
          Sage Francis - Personal Journals
          Sole - Selling Live Water
          --------------------

this is in chronological order. so i guess 2003 was about the last time my perspective on music changed, at least as far as outside influences go. i grew up on my parents' beatles, jimi, pink floyd, etc. albums and i started rebelling against that stuff around the age of 10. i wish i could say those classic rock records blew my mind, but it's kind of where music started for me so i can't really say it changed my life when it was always a part of it. even during my adolescence when i was rebelling against it, i kind of always secretly admired it. so as you can see, i started out with the polar opposites in my youngest years while eventually coming full-circle to "modern rock's version of pink floyd" (remember those comparisons?), then again back to rap. there are definitely albums i like more than the ones in my list, but these are the ones that literally changed my life, and i'm not going to come up with some revisionist history just because i like some things more now. i really don't listen to any of those albums in that list more than once a year (likely less), save for bone thugs because it's great driving music. i honestly listen to colbie caillait more than deftones at this point in my life, but i can't say that her music is changing my life. i guess i'm just trying to say that i don't see my mind being blown by a record again. i hope i'm wrong.
          Originally posted by vsd
          ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Would love to chime in on this but...AAHHH!!

Comment

Great suggestions, keep 'em coming. I wish we could move this to the "dredg" topic forum considering nobody posts anything interesting there anymore.

Comment

Def Leppard's "Hysteria" would've been the first album to blow my mind but I was so young at the time that I really didn't have a mind to be blown yet.

Comment

I think Aerosmith's "Get a Grip" was my first blown-mind sans fully-developed mind album.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
                    Warren G - Regulate...G Funk Era
                    Metallica - The Black Album
                    Bone Thugz-n-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal
                    Makaveli - The Don Killuminati...The 7 Day Theory
                    Deftones - Around the Fur
                    Deftones - White Pony
                    dredg - El Cielo
                    Sage Francis - Personal Journals
                    Sole - Selling Live Water
                    --------------------

this is in chronological order. so i guess 2003 was about the last time my perspective on music changed, at least as far as outside influences go. i grew up on my parents' beatles, jimi, pink floyd, etc. albums and i started rebelling against that stuff around the age of 10. i wish i could say those classic rock records blew my mind, but it's kind of where music started for me so i can't really say it changed my life when it was always a part of it. even during my adolescence when i was rebelling against it, i kind of always secretly admired it. so as you can see, i started out with the polar opposites in my youngest years while eventually coming full-circle to "modern rock's version of pink floyd" (remember those comparisons?), then again back to rap. there are definitely albums i like more than the ones in my list, but these are the ones that literally changed my life, and i'm not going to come up with some revisionist history just because i like some things more now. i really don't listen to any of those albums in that list more than once a year (likely less), save for bone thugs because it's great driving music. i honestly listen to colbie caillait more than deftones at this point in my life, but i can't say that her music is changing my life. i guess i'm just trying to say that i don't see my mind being blown by a record again. i hope i'm wrong.
                    this list is pretty terrible...seriously consider picking up some real hip hop your mind will be blown for real

Comment

No particular order, and a little drunk so this might go on for a bit...
                      Facing New York - Get Hot (while I love their previous efforts, this album just blew my mind and resonated with me perfectly)
                      dredg - El Cielo (had heard Leitmotif but at the time it just did nothing for me, then the industry demos and the leak came and I was forever changed)
                      Sans Seraph - After the Rain
                      Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E.
                      Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun (wasn't the first record of theirs I had heard, but one of my favorites at this point)
                      The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (one of the first full albums I ever listened too, and while I grew up with their music and others from the 50s-late 70s it has always stuck with me)
                      The Black Crowes - Three Snakes and One Charm (again not the first record I had heard from them, but just got me so good)
                      Boom Boom Satellites - Photon
                      Talking Heads - Speaking In Tongues (I could probably just say all of their albums, but "Naive Melody" is just about the most beautiful song ever written in my opinion)
                      Juno Reactor - Beyond the Infinite (made me realize electronic style music could really kick ass)
                      Paulson - All At Once
                      The Felice Brothers - The Felice Brothers
                      The Mayan Factor - 44
                      The Traveling Wilburys - Vol. 1 (grew up on the album as a kid, but didn't rediscover it until the rerelease, just awesomeness in audio form)
                      Typhoon Ferri - Detergency
                      Originally posted by Gnomad
                      How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

Rush - Hemispheres (I was lucky to be blown away at a very young age by this one)
                        Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
                        Hum - Downward is Heavenward
                        Blind Melon - Soup
                        King Crimson - Discipline
                        Porcupine Tree - Signify
                        dredg - El Cielo
                        Mew - Frengers
                        Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope
                        Cat Power - You Are Free
                        Day One Symphony - A Vicious Circle
                        Pink Floyd - Animals
                        Jeff Buckley - Grace
                        Murder By Death - Who Will Survive and What Will Be Left of Them?
                        Emily Wells - The Symphonies: Dreams Memories & Parties
                        Gogol Bordello - Super Taranta!

That's a good start
                        I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                        I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                        A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                        To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
                          Hum - Downward is Heavenward
                          Blind Melon - Soup
                          King Crimson - Discipline
                          Pink Floyd - Animals
                          Jeff Buckley - Grace
                          Great picks.
                          last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
                            dredg - El Cielo
                            Mew - Frengers
                            Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope
                            Cat Power - You Are Free
                            Day One Symphony - A Vicious Circle
                            Emily Wells - The Symphonies: Dreams Memories & Parties
                            Gogol Bordello - Super Taranta!

That's a good start
                            I can't limit it to 5, but those are the ones from the last decade.
                            I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                            I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                            A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                            To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Working...
                            X