Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

I need some help/feedback and such...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help/feedback and such...

So I've been drumming for 4 years, and have recently been learning piano and guitar to compose my own little songs. Now, this question might be silly, but what makes a song good (assuming that there'd be a certain criteria, even tho it's all subjective)? Now naturally, I'm going to do something I like. I already have an instrumental demo done (and I doubt it, but I have the demo if you're interested, just lemme know), but there's a series of questions that I feel need to be addressed. So what do you guys feel makes a song strong? Is it displays of technical complexity, or simplicity in groove? Eclecticism? Purism? Unorthodox song structure? PLZ.

ALSO...anyone have any good singing tips?
    Last edited by tapirdrummer; November 4, 2009, 07:33 AM.
    Originally posted by Ars Sycro
    I want to walk around half-naked and in sequins and dressed like, I don't know, a pirate, maybe, proclaiming my heterosexuality.

Re: I need some help/feedback and such...

Just fuck around with melody and rhytm. Keep yourself interested and others should be too. If not, fuck 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by tapirdrummer View Post
      Is it displays of technical complexity, or simplicity in groove? Eclecticism? Purism? Unorthodox song structure? PLZ.
      i would definitely say the only one of those that is almost always required for me to like a song is "simplicity in groove." the others i can do with or without. that said, complex rhythms can be interesting too, but also very tiresome when overdone. all you really need is a good melody. once you have one, explore some variations in it until you find 3 or 4 solid riffs. then split them up and find creative ways to join them up. as for singing, all i can say is find your OWN voice!
      Originally posted by vsd
      ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

So far I'm getting the impression that the main thing to focus on is musicality (which I personally agree with) correct? I shouldn't worry about coming up with 'super fast, insane, metal riffs' as long as I can come up with coherent musical ideas?
        I want to walk around half-naked and in sequins and dressed like, I don't know, a pirate, maybe, proclaiming my heterosexuality.

Comment

did you honestly expect a different answer?

Comment

It depends on what your philosophical persepctive on music is. For me, it's listening. Listening to everything and anything. You soak up so much when you've practiced listening for a while. I see the benefit of practicing insane metal riffs and crazy time signatures, however, if you have not learned these and can't play them naturally, then chances are you are just not ready to play those things. Music, for me at least, is not about what I can create from my head because I feel every thing has already been created. It's a matter of listening to what is out there and then using whatever tools necessary to create the masterpiece from your head and heart.
            Last edited by jadelemonaid; November 5, 2009, 09:11 PM.
            Patience. Listen to the Earth sing.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifeboy View Post
              did you honestly expect a different answer?
              Yeah, actually. I try not to make assumptions. There are people out there who hate tonal compositions and prefer avant-garde, atonal, nu-classical stuff, they wouldn't call anything with a definite melody 'music'.

Comment

but..... you're in a dredg forum

Comment

So far I'm getting the impression that the main thing to focus on is musicality (which I personally agree with) correct? I shouldn't worry about coming up with 'super fast, insane, metal riffs' as long as I can come up with coherent musical ideas?
                  You're asking us what kind of music you should write. You're the musician. If you ask this on a Yngwie Malmsteen message board, you'll get a completely different answer.

What kind of music do you want to write? Write that.

And yes, coherent musical ideas should be the priority. But that doesn't necessarily exclude songs with super fast, insane, metal riffs.
                  - -- --- ----

Comment

Make whatever you want to hear and work from there. Everybody is different.
                    Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                    Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Yeah, actually. I try not to make assumptions. There are people out there who hate tonal compositions and prefer avant-garde, atonal, nu-classical stuff, they wouldn't call anything with a definite melody 'music'.
                      Noone can listen to JUST atonal noise music, that's insane. Even Merzbow is occasionally melodious.

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
                        Make whatever you want to hear and work from there. Everybody is different.
                        GOD HAS SPOKEN

Comment

Working...
                        X