Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Weird Internet Connection Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Internet Connection Problem

I have googled the fuck out of this and found no answers, so I thought I'd try here.

I am having a really strange problem with my internet connection at home. I'm at work now and looking for some answers. My home connection just recently started not working only between the hours of 1PM or so up until 7PM or so. I still need to get ahold of my roommate so he can contact our service provider (he deals with the cable/internet), but I've talked to friends around town with the same provider who aren't experiencing any problems. There hasn't been any changes to the way in which our connection is set up as far as I know. Also, no bandwidth has been hogged up by us which would cause the provider to shut it down during those hours.

I found a little bit regarding a connection from ping.chartbeat.net having problems so I disabled that, but still no luck.

I know there are some tech gurus here who can help figure this out. If theres anything else that you need to know, feel free to ask. I can't guarantee I'll know the answer. Thanks for any help, it would be greatly appreciated.
    DeviantArt Facebook

Re: Weird Internet Connection Problem

lmerr, I worked as a DSL tech support technician for Verizon for 3 years.

1. I'm assuming you're on Cable internet? Not DSL, right?

2. Do you have a wireless router? If so, are you using the WEP (Wireless Encryption Protection) or WPA? Forgot what WPA stands for, but it's a grade better than WEP.

3. So how many computers are connected? Describe their connections: wireless, hardwired, etc.

4. Is your cable modem connected to a looooonnngg RJ45 cable to the walljack? RJ45=telephone line.

5. If you're on a router, have you tried connecting a laptop directly to the modem during those hours you mentioned?

I'm not too familiar w/Cable internet, so I might ask my friends about their set up and ask if they've had a similar problem...

As soon as you reply to these questions, I'll try to get back to you w/the follow up question/answer... Hope I can help...

My Skydrive:https://cid-efc3e98cdde49c31.skydriv....com/home.aspx

Comment

Cable.
      We do have a wireless router.
      It is password protected (sorry thats all I know).
      There are 2 computers.
      Its actually connected to the wall jack with a cable cord like tv but a little itsy bit bigger and nicer
      I haven't tried hooking a laptop up, I'll try that today if I get a chance.

I found my providers website and emailed them. They called me back and said that they would send a technician over monday if its still doing that.
      DeviantArt Facebook

Comment

Lmerr, sorry to get back to you late, but today is Monday, did they send a tech over? Any results? Hopefully your sitch got resolved. Let us know!

My Skydrive:https://cid-efc3e98cdde49c31.skydriv....com/home.aspx

Comment

Working...
        X