Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

IQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IQ

Anyone else into them? Great classic prog band from the UK. Just saw them live this weekend and they absolutely rocked.
    I can see a washed out moon through the fog.

Re: IQ

among the wealth of "neo-prog" bands that I have checked out over the years, that I never really got-into, I guess I regard them as the most respectable.

However, I'd suggest Marillion every time over this band. And a few others who some call "neoprog" like Enchant as well.

But as far as Neoprog goes, IQ are better than a lot; even though they do sound rather derivative of Genesis with 80's sound (and never really evolved much). "Subterranea" for example, is a well-written concept album.

But a lot of the bands in the genre like Pendragon, Pallas, Landberk, Landmarq, Arena, Jadis, Twelfth Night, etc, etc..all of them suck a lot more than IQ; and none of them ever even has come close to comparing to Marillion for me.
    allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Man, I thought this was going to be a thread about ego. "Hey, my IQ is 156! Fuck y'all, you are beneath me."

Then again, it'd probably be less of a waste of time if we just had a thread and posted pictures of our penis's.

Comment

There isn't already a thread for that? Traversing disappoints yet again.
        http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
        seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
          Man, I thought this was going to be a thread about ego.
          I did too! Like a link to some website that offers IQ tests.

Then again, it'd probably be less of a waste of time if we just had a thread and posted pictures of our penis's.
          Hmmm. I'd actually pull that thread up every day, I won't lie.

But, being the only whore in town, clearly I don't have a penis, so I'd be left out. Again. :-(

Comment

And now that this thread has received one of the quickest derailings ever: This band is cheesier than Dream Theater and far less talented. Big ole thumbs down from someone you don't care to hear from!

Comment

What albums/songs did you listen to Gnomad?

Comment

Whatever was on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundscapeMN View Post
                  among the wealth of "neo-prog" bands that I have checked out over the years, that I never really got-into, I guess I regard them as the most respectable.

However, I'd suggest Marillion every time over this band. And a few others who some call "neoprog" like Enchant as well.
                  Marillion are a decent band as well, saw them last autumn at the "Happiness is Cologne" show. Looking forward to the DVD of that evening.
                  ---
                  Whatever was on their website.
                  Thought so. You should check out a complete album of them, you'll find they are a really talented bunch of guys.

Comment

Their ability isn't the issue. They sound like Dream Theater. I dislike Dream Theater. I simply commented that Dream Theater are more talented, which is something I am quite confident in.

Comment

Man, I thought this was going to be a thread about ego. "Hey, my IQ is 156! Fuck y'all, you are beneath me."

I hope it doesn't come down to that.

If it does...

I forfeit in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by bokkers View Post
                        Marillion are a decent band as well, saw them last autumn at the "Happiness is Cologne" show. Looking forward to the DVD of that evening.
                        ---

Thought so. You should check out a complete album of them, you'll find they are a really talented bunch of guys.
                        Racket Records has like a dozen or more DVDs, and I love Marillion. In fact I still regard them as my favorite band of all-time. But I sadly don't have the budget to afford even half of all the shit I'd pick-up from their personal record label. I didn't even make it to the fan weekend in Montreal a few weeks ago. But the airfare + all other expense would have ran me over $1200 easily.

I do have some friends who love IQ. I just have never found their music that memorable. These same people into IQ, for some reason think Marillion is more hit and miss. They think the best work they did was with Fish, which I hardly agree. But to me, IQ haven't really changed their sound all that much since their inception.

Another friend of mine, when hearing them, compared them to Triumph for what it's worth. I hear some similarities to 80's Rush at times. But The songwriting has never struck me nearly as good as Rush.

But I suppose, if you are a fan of Genesis + the 80's tinged synth-style tonality, these guys do it better than pretty much every other band (other than Marillion did. Really only with Fish for about 5 or 6 years. Fish's last album, and then after he left, Marillion changed pretty dramatically, for the better. They're more like dredg than Genesis since then).
                        allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Ooga View Post
                          I hope it doesn't come down to that.

If it does...

I forfeit in advance.
                          Well, I thought that went without saying...

You'd just win...

Comment

I know IQ. I'm not a big fan, but they're nice.
                            The O.C. Project
                            http://lolo-extreme.myblog.de/
                            Right? hoeh'?

Comment

Originally posted by SoundscapeMN View Post
                              Racket Records has like a dozen or more DVDs, and I love Marillion. In fact I still regard them as my favorite band of all-time. But I sadly don't have the budget to afford even half of all the shit I'd pick-up from their personal record label. I didn't even make it to the fan weekend in Montreal a few weeks ago. But the airfare + all other expense would have ran me over $1200 easily.

I do have some friends who love IQ. I just have never found their music that memorable. These same people into IQ, for some reason think Marillion is more hit and miss. They think the best work they did was with Fish, which I hardly agree. But to me, IQ haven't really changed their sound all that much since their inception.

Another friend of mine, when hearing them, compared them to Triumph for what it's worth. I hear some similarities to 80's Rush at times. But The songwriting has never struck me nearly as good as Rush.

But I suppose, if you are a fan of Genesis + the 80's tinged synth-style tonality, these guys do it better than pretty much every other band (other than Marillion did. Really only with Fish for about 5 or 6 years. Fish's last album, and then after he left, Marillion changed pretty dramatically, for the better. They're more like dredg than Genesis since then).
                              Cool. Marillion were my favourite band during my youth. I somehow "broke up" slowly with them during the TSE/Radiation phase. Have every album though and also most of the Racket Records DVDs. I absolutely love their new sound and think Happiness is their best album to date.

The thing that makes IQ so special are their shows. Only if you've seen them live you'll understand why they still have such a massive cult following. Their studio albums tend to sound quite unspectular, while their gigs are just epic.

Comment

Working...
                              X