Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

10 songs is never enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10 songs is never enough

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
    Or is it?

What are your favorite 10-song albums?

I'll start it off

dredg - Leitmotif

Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun

Porcupine Tree - Up the Downstair

Mew - Frengers

Hum - Downward Is Heavenward

Led Zeppelin - III

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Dark Side of the Moon is 9 tracks... but just goes to show you... floyd didnt even need 10 to make a masterpeice.

this is a sweet thread that did prove a point that was argued in the other thread. If the new dredg album is indeed 10 songs, i think it could be just as good as a 60 minute cd. But whos to say it wont be. But i know it'll be longer than 10 songs... ill put money on it.
    Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Why is it either 10 songs or 60 minutes?
      Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
      Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
        Why does the moon cry when a rabid dog is shot?
        I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
        I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
        A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
        To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Okay dude, when i LOVE a band like i do dredg, and i've waited patiently it better be a full cd. Im sorry, thats the way i believe. Im not going to purchase the cd and throw it away if it isnt, but ill be a little dissapointed.

When catch without arms came out i enjoyed it but was dissapointed in a sense because the album was really really poppy and non-experimental, but i learned to enjoy that aspect of dredg and thus enjoyed the album.

Everyone is jumping to conclusions when someone says something, just because i say i maybe dissapointed if the album is 10 songs and 40 minutes dosent mean i wont like the album. Two of my favorite albums right now are the two band of horses albums and they are both UNDER forty minutes.

I am just aware of what dredg can do and if they release an album of under ten tracks and also under 60 minutes i will be left thinking what they could have done with that extra time. Drew said himself they have TONS of material and everyone here is talking about how it could be a double cd, so it would be a little disspointing to get a 45 minute 10 track album. But that does not mean i wont enjoy it... i will just be left with some of the same disappointment i had with CWOA.

but the reason i said 60 minutes is because in my mind, thats a full cd. Should be around an hour or so, Unless its a demo or a EP of course. If someone releases something less than that, it dosent mean i think its a peice of crap... but it does disappoint me when the cd ends, most of the time.
          Last edited by Sittingsideways; February 27, 2009, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice (Really 9 tracks, because Lotus sucks my balls)
            Engine Down - Demure
            Clann Zu - Rua
            Sans Seraph - After the Rain
            David Gilmour - On an Island

All great 10 song albums, and I never think "man that was too short"
            - -- --- ----

Comment

You obviously didn't understand my question, so I'll rephrase it in... umm... simpler terms?

What about 10 songs, songs that could be of any length from say 8 seconds to 25 minutes, means that the CD will not be 60 minutes? You keep confusing CD length with total songs. The 2 are NOT related. Bands like NoFX put out 17-song, 30-minute CDs. And bands like The Mars Volta put out 5-12-song, 75-minute CDs.

Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

and of course, De-loused.

Dredg can release 5 songs if they want. If it's as good as Wish You Were Here, I will be thrilled.
                - -- --- ----

Comment

And anybody that has mentioned a double CD was speculating about what they would like. There's absolutely no proof that there is or were ever plans for a double CD.

Comment

And anybody that has mentioned a double CD was speculating about what they would like. There's absolutely no proof that there is or were ever plans for a double CD.
                    i know this.

i still dont understand what you are asking me.

Sittingsideways added 5 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

Originally posted by amitface View Post
                    Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice (Really 9 tracks, because Lotus sucks my balls)
                    Engine Down - Demure
                    Clann Zu - Rua
                    Sans Seraph - After the Rain
                    David Gilmour - On an Island

All great 10 song albums, and I never think "man that was too short"
                    Yeah what the hell is going on with that song? Probly my least favorite MTB songs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sittingsideways View Post
                      i still dont understand what you are asking me.
                      You keep saying you don't want 10 songs... you want 60 minutes. Does 10 songs mean that the CD is not 60 minutes? This really isn't a difficult question or a complicated scenario, so I'm not sure where your confusion is coming from.

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but 10 6 minute songs for 60 minutes sounds great to me.

Comment

i would agree with above.

listen, im just being a douche. I look at an album as a whole, especially a dredg album. So i would say that i would like the album to be 60 minutes. I dont care how many tracks there are... chances are there are going to be some ditties and some instrumentals... hopefully.

So i guess what im saying is that i hope i dont wait 4 years for a 40 minute cd... but i could eat my words and get a forty minute cd and have it be the greatest masterpeice since DSOTM. But i think dredg's best chance at making a really good cd at this point is to not cut out songs like Remedy Potion. But im not them, maybe that song dosent fit.

Long story short, i was being a cocknose and talking about judging an album before it comes out. I will be content with any dredg album, but im just hoping it blows CWOA out of the water.

Comment

I can agree with that last bit. I just want the best dredg album the guys can deliver. I don't think you were being a douche, though. You stated your wishes. There's nothing wrong with that. I think some people are just being a little touchy right now.

Comment

The only part that annoyed me was that you were associating track NUMBER with cd LENGTH. The Mars Volta has a 5 song CD (Frances The Mute ... I don't care if it says 12 tracks, it's just 5) and a 8 song CD that are both 78+ minutes long.

Add to that the fact that Leitmotif is my favorite CD and it's really only 36 minutes or so.

Comment

well... if your talking about raw recording and raw feeling i think leitmotif is my favorite.

If your talking about feeling and the way a cd was put together, i think el cielo was the best.

And cwoa was just good.

Sittingsideways added 3 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

and i understand what your saying ars, yes, sometimes i say things and dont re-read them. With me, its just about overall length (without including parts i skip like parts in frances the mute of just static). Like in my eyes, cwoa's was too short. If they would have put on the b-sides that someone was speaking about earlier, it would have been better. To tell you the truth, if they had put on stone by stone and stationary transient they probably would have been my favorite tracks on that cd.

Sittingsideways added 16 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

actually, cwoa isnt too short but rather i would have had some b-sides instead of some other tracks that made it onto the album.

Comment

Working...
                                X