Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Recording\Editing Music Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording\Editing Music Programs

Just curious what software people here use. I'm more so talking about recording and mixing my own music rather than live performances...

...I've used Sonic Foundry Acid Pro 4 for almost everything I've ever done. I'm trying to find something new or possibly better to play with.

What do you guys use\prefer?
    Originally posted by Ars Sycro
    I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Re: Recording\Editing Music Programs

One day, Cubase SX came to town via a very slow download of 3.98kbps and installed itself (along with multiple spyware programs) onto my windows.

Then, after much discovery and use and abuse of Cubase, Reason came along and teamed up with Cubase. He was really handsome, and made making music really fun. And he was a clean, sound guy. He always knew what I wanted and made it happen (after much conversations, of course).

Though this all changed when the owner had to perform a gig on himself, with only his computer, keyboard, sampler and turntable to aid him, and thus he set his sights on a new adventurer.

Ableton Live swooped in from out of nowhere and took the performer off his feet and told him all about his awesome jammabilities and music production funness. Cubase soon took a back seat.

After months of gigging and composing with Ableton Live, he soon discovered something was lacking in his life... that... lovely bottom of that Cubase had, the smile of it's mixing desk... the smell of it's usability...

He then realised that all the softwares could live in harmony, and be used for their awesome strengths. Reason for it's wonderful sounds and lovely drum sequencer. Ableton Live for it's performance and jamming powers. And Cubase, for it's awesome ability to be the most rock-solid-pecks-and-buttocks of a sequencer that ever existed.

The End.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Reaper 0.999 is the best free alternative out there
      Last edited by Knifeboy; January 14, 2009, 08:11 PM.

Comment

last 2 posts got it covered.
        /thread

Comment

Cool, looks like I'm going to get on my pirate ship and look for some booty...

Comment

I've been using Cubase. I would prefer something with a better drum sequencer, but I'm really just using it for demo-quality stuff. The sound quality we've been getting has been fantastic, though.
            I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
            I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
            A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
            To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Well, I really have no use for the drum sequencer in any program. If I decide to put drums on anything, I've got a little electric set that does an decent enough job.

...I just want something that easy to mix and master music...

Comment

i use protools and reason....the latter is pretty good for sequencing drums. i've also heard that sonar is good...i'm also looking for the best way to master tracks (especially if it falls under the free-illegal category)
                Christ as fast

Comment

Free mastering method: Just use an (EQ), compressor, limiter and a saturator/clipper in the master/2-track out/whatever the hell you've bused all your main mix to. I won't explain how to do it as it's a bit of personal preference thing and some techy will shoot me down with his awesome knowledge and 5k rig, or some shit like that.

Otherwise, I hear good things about Waves. T-Racks is alright too. But they are sort-of external process as above though.
                  (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Izotope Ozone is a good all-in one "mastering" plugin.

Comment

what do you all use to record onto those programs?

Interface? Mixer? Workstations?

We had an interface for a little while and im gonna tell you the truth, i dont understand why they are any different than mixers? Anyway, we tried to run cubase on vista and used a "firestation" interface and it wasn't running properly. So we had to download a patch and it was still having problems. It was stop recording in the middle of recording all the time. We couldnt figure it out... but now were just going to purchase a powered mixer and sell the interface.

Anybody have the similar problems with vista and any interfaces or programs?
                      Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Alot of companies haven't released real support for vista drivers. Most have, but alot of have done bodge fixes that are "they'll work for now" sort of mentality. I can't help, but google the problem, there's probably a ton of people with the same problem.

If you're mixing digitally, you probably won't need a mixer... unless you want to use the pre-amps on them to output into your interface.

It doesn't really matter what interface you use. It's mostly about the microphones and pre-amps and how you use the two together to get the most out of your instruments. From our recent recording, I can understand why it's important to invest a lot of money into mic's and pre's... we didn't invest anything though, we just stole a bunch of microphones and pre-amps from people who own studio's and stuff... bodgers.
                        (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Originally posted by Sittingsideways View Post
                          what do you all use to record onto those programs?

Interface? Mixer? Workstations?

We had an interface for a little while and im gonna tell you the truth, i dont understand why they are any different than mixers? Anyway, we tried to run cubase on vista and used a "firestation" interface and it wasn't running properly. So we had to download a patch and it was still having problems. It was stop recording in the middle of recording all the time. We couldnt figure it out... but now were just going to purchase a powered mixer and sell the interface.

Anybody have the similar problems with vista and any interfaces or programs?
                          I really haven't found any luck recording on my computer. I record with a Fostex MR-8. And would recommend anybody recording get something like it because it does everything that you want it to do AND it's portable. So if you're jamming at a buddies house you can tag it along and set a Mic up and record...

Then I export the .WAV tracks to my computer and mix it with Acid Pro 4.0... That's always worked well for me. But now my Acid Pro isn't working which I why I asked for opinions.

Comment

I love my fostex MR8-HD. But man, the fan noise is really annoying when recording with a condenser mic. I don't know if the non harddisk version has the same issues?

Comment

Nope...

...the only annoying noise I get is the random car driving by or band singing on my behalf...

Comment

Working...
                              X